Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Schwigg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2009, 09:31 AM
    Central air unit
    My AC started the summer season just fine. However, last night it started heating up in the house.

Today I went out to take a look at the unit and I found the line going to the house had ice on it. Upon further inspection I found that the line on the inside of the unit was also iced up.

What are my options?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2009, 09:54 AM

You need to turn the unit off completely and let the frozen areas defrost. Possibly the unit iced up due to extreme humidity conditions. My a/c used to do this when I lived in South Florida a lot. My unit would do this in the late spring and early autum a lot due to the humid conditions usually after it rained and was hot at night.

Hopefully your unit defrosts okay and then runs properly. Allow the unit a good 6 hours to completely defrost to be sure otherwise it will just ice up again if not completely defrosted.
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2009, 10:26 AM
    Three things will cause this: 1) The indoor coil is starved for airflow, due to a clogged air filter, blocked supply and/or return registers, dirt accumulation on the indoor coil, or a malfunctioning indoor blower. 2) The system has lost (leaked) a portion of the refrigerant, and the pressures/temperatures are lower than intended. Condensate freezes to the coil surface rather than draining away. 3) The system is under-loaded due to relatively low indoor and outdoor temperatures (I saved this scenario for last as it is the least likely).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Central Air Unit [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I find the relay on a Ducane central air unit?

Fan on the outside central air unit [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, can anyone tell me if it is the capacitor I need to replace since the fan on the outside central air unit will not kick on by itself, but it will come on if you start it by hand? And if so how do I go about doing that?

Central air unit [ 6 Answers ]

I need help wiring the transformer I have two black wires coming from unit and only one black from transformer I don't know which one goes where

Central air unit [ 2 Answers ]

My thermostat is set on 65. Unit is blowing cold air

Central air unit fan not turning when unit on [ 3 Answers ]

Recently our central air unit stop producing cool air and noticed our fan was not turning outside, and was making a loud humming noise, can this fan be replaced without replacing the entire unit :confused:

View more questions Search