Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rezam Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2009, 06:49 AM
    "disk checking has been cancelled" At Startup
    Dear all,
    Whenever my system starts up, I get this error telling "disk checking has been cancelled
    What Can I do , What Is The Solve Way Of This Problem ,
    It Damaged My Files & Emais .

Thanks
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2009, 07:23 AM

First, try to run Chkdsk:

START | RUN | CMD | OK

At the command prompt, type "CHKDSK /F" and let it run. If it runs successfully, reboot and see if the problem has gone away.

If not, run the registry editor:

START | RUN | REGEDIT | OK

In the registry editor locate the following:

\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Sessi on Manager

In the right-hand window, locate "BootExecute". Post back with whatever is on the right side of that key. It should be something like:

"autocheck autochk *" (without the quotation marks, of course)

But if it's something else, it will give me a clue as to what's going on (it may be a program you've installed).

Jun 20, 2009, 07:40 AM

Dear Perito

Thank You For Your Fast Support .
    I Do chkdsk /f , But The Problem Doesn't Solve.
    Then I Do Registry Way.
    It This Key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contr ol\Session Manager"
    The Value Of "BootExecute" Is "autocheck autochk *sprestrt
    sprestrt "

I Tried To Change It , But It Didn't Change.

What Can I Solve It ?

Note : I Installed A New Windows For Solving This But It Caused Again.

Thanks.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2009, 08:44 AM

give this a try:

start, run, type CMD
    hit enter

type: chkntfs /t:3
    hit enter

or you can disable on boot
    type: chkntfs /x c:
    This disables chkdsk from running on drive C:
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2009, 10:30 AM
    Then I Do Registry Way.
    It This Key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contr ol\Session Manager"
    The Value Of "BootExecute" Is "autocheck autochk *sprestrt
    sprestrt "

I Tried To Change It , But It Didn't Change.
    If you click on BootExecute and then hit <ENTER> (or right-click on it and click "Modify"), it should pop up a window labeled "Edit Multi-String". The value data should be able to be changed there. Change it to "autocheck autochk *" which is the default setting.

If it refuses to check, write down the error message that you receive and post back.

As Seahawk83 said, you can type chkntfs /t:3<enter> or chkntfs /t:10<enter>, which is the default. That will change the initiation countdown time. I'm not sure it will fix your problem. Disabling autochk it on boot can be a bit risky because disk checking is supposed to make sure your disk is OK if Windows shuts down abnormally. But, if you can't run "chkdsk", even that doesn't matter.

Do you have any history as to what you installed so that chkdsk didn't work (or this problem started, which is the same thing)? If you reinstalled Windows, it should have solved your problem. Did you do a "clean install" or just a "repair"?

-----

One more thing. I suggest you boot into safe mode and try to run "chkdsk /f" from there.

Jun 22, 2009, 07:28 AM

My C: Drive Is In FAT32 System File.

I Changed The Registry Value , But It Seems Be Locked To This String "autocheck autochk *sprestrt sprestrt"

Because After A Refresh the regedit.exe Window , Mentioned Value Has been Shown .

I Mean Is It Can't Be Change . Registry May Be Locked.

In Addition That , I Go To Safe Mode & Run "chkdsk /f" & "chkdsk /r" In Separate times But It Doesn't Work , It Prompt That " Disk Is Locked & Check Disk schedule For Next Boot "

Then In Next boot The Problem raised & Canceled The Check Disk.

I lost My emails (1giga) In this Problem ( Check Disk Canceling)

I So Sad About My Laptop's Problem.
    It Isn't Safe Any Time.

Jun 22, 2009, 07:31 AM
    Dears

I Also Install A fresh Windows Again,
    But After 2 restart , The Problem Has appeared.
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2009, 07:39 AM

Did you do a clean install? I doubt that you did. What's probably happening is that there is something in the registry that is causing this problem. When you do a "repair install" of Windows, the system isn't creating a new registry. Thus, the problem persists. You need to do a clean install of Windows. Here are instructions for doing that:

XP Clean Install

One more thing. Format the drive NTFS, not FAT32.
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2009, 08:32 AM

Also agree with above

If did fresh install after formatting the drive during the installation, this may indicate that you may have a problem with the hard drive itself.

Here is another link similar to one above
    How to Format Drive and Install Windows from Scratch
    Lifehacker - Geek to Live: How to format your hard drive and install Windows XP from scratch - Feature

If attempt to reinstall again, make sure to do the format option and if same issues reappear, would think it would have to do with the physical drive as software seems to be having issue with the drive

Jun 28, 2009, 04:19 AM

Dears
    I found The Problem Source ,
    It Is A Key (Bootexecute) Which Locked & Didn't Change By Any Value,
    It Only display
    BootExecute=autocheck autochk *sprestrt sprestrt

You Can See It In The Attachment

Please help Me About Change This Value , I test It In Other PC & Laptop ,
    The Value Can Be Change easily In regedit.exe In Any PC & Laptop

But In Mine , After I Change It To True One , When I Press F5 To Refresh , I See The Old Value Come Back.

how Can Solve The Regedit lock On this Key.
    It Go A Head Me To Solve My CHKDSK.exe Problem.

Regards.
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2009, 07:48 AM

change the value to one in safe mode and then reboot in normal mode - the change should take effect then (changed in safe mode)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pro's & Con's of "Compress drive to save disk space" [ 10 Answers ]

Hello everybody I have a question about "Compress drive to save disk space" checkbox that's located in the general tab of the Local Disk properties. I just discovered this feature and decided to save some disk on my laptop but when I applied this feature. A progress bar dialog box appeared and...

False "Insufficient Hard Disk Space" error when downloading Drivers [ 5 Answers ]

O/S XP-SP2 updated NOTE: Other than this specific problem, the System/OS, all Peripherals and Applications are working perfectly. I recently bought a new Logitech QuickCam Ultra Vision to replace my old QuickCam. When I went to install the drivers/Apps; the CD began to spin-up in the drive...

Another Startup Error "missing RVHOST.EXE" [ 2 Answers ]

Hi... whenever I logon on my windows I get a message says (Windows cannot find the missing file RVHOST.EXE). Please advice me to solve this problem without formating. Thanks.

Illegal immigrants checking "i am a us citizen"box when applying for a job [ 1 Answers ]

Another questions and to get anyone's opinion... does anyone know roughly how many illegal people out there check the " I am a US Citizen" box when applying for a job? How often does this happen?

External HDD Error "Insert A Disk Into Drive" [ 1 Answers ]

I have a WD HDD installed into an external case. When I plug it into a USB port, a drive letter appears in "System Hardware", and it says the driver is OK and the device is working properly. It even gives me the model number of the WD drive! Driver Agent even confirms that the driver is OK. ...

View more questions Search