Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snowlong Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2009, 05:28 AM
    Box Wood shrubs turning brown
    We have a row of box wood shrubs which we planted several years ago along the front of our house. Recently a number of them at one end have started to turn brown and dry. What could be causing this and what is the solution to restore them?
    Thanks
    snowlong:confused:
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 20, 2009, 08:49 AM

Once any shrub turns brown, it means the root is damaged and recovery is not possible after that. Have you had a severe winter where you are located ?

Boxwoods are a lovely way of keeping a winter landscape green and a wonderful addition to any garden.
    treeguy1225 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Jun 24, 2009, 06:51 PM
    The browning sounds like winter desiccation caused by low temps and cold winds drying out the leaves during a cold winter... although the leaves are dead the branches may still be viable for new growth... it most likely has nothing to do with the roots unless the root balls were not cleared of all burlap and wire... but it really sounds like winter damage... wrapping them during the winter with burlap or another protective wrap will help reduce this drying out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blonde streaks turning green if dyed brown? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, my hair colour is a natural dark brown and I have always used box dyes inorder to colour natural sun streak etc. About a month ago I got my first professional hair dye, a full brown rinse and blonde patches. I really like it but I have a formal event and think I would like to go back to full...

Plant leaves turning brown around the edges [ 1 Answers ]

I have a wave petunia in a hanging basket, and several other plants in window boxes, and some of the leaves are turning brown on the edges... any ideas why, and how I can stop this? I've fertilized a couple of times, keeping the soil moist, but not soaking, and not drying out.

Crawling Junipers/ Turning BROWN! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi , I live in northwestern PA. and have problems with my Creeping Junipers turning brown in my landscaping in front of my house. I have trimmed the brown back, fertilized and everything. This has been going on now for 2 years and I have evn had to replace a couple that died totally this year. What...

Evergreen bush turning brown [ 4 Answers ]

Hi! When we moved into our home @2 years ago, the one side had 2 evergreen bushes and one small evergreen tree on it. Within the first year of being here, the 1st evergreen bush died. Then this past spring, the small evergreen tree died. We dug these up and planted azalea bushes. However, the...

View more questions Search