Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chipschico Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2009, 08:05 PM
    Outside airconditioner unit does not work
    I bot a new thermostat last winter. It's a globe enersaver touch screen. It worked well throughout the winter months but now does not work with my air conditioner. The outside air cond. Unit fan does not turn. The furnace clicks on when I have it set on cool. All breakers are on as we have a separate air conditioner for upstairs and it works well.( old style thermostat). Could I have wired it incorrectly? Unfortunately I misplaced my english version manual. Any suggestions before I spend a bunch of money on a repairman. Thanks chipschico
    STG Posts: 84, Reputation: 7

Jun 19, 2009, 08:17 PM

It sounds to me like the capacitor may be out on the unit.

If that capacitor is out, your blower will not kick on. If the blower will not kick on, then the unit will overheat and shut down (or not start at all). This really isn't a repair for the weekend handyman (or handywoman).

Jun 19, 2009, 08:41 PM
    Thanks stg.
    If I don't hear from anyone else I'll call the repairman tomorrow.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2009, 08:55 PM
    OK,, now you`ve heard from me,, now! what's the question?
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2009, 09:00 PM
    Has the a/c ever worked since the new tstat was installed?
    Was a jumper installed on tstat from r-c to rh
    Has anyone checked for low voltage at the contactor in the a/c unit

Jun 19, 2009, 09:07 PM
    Thanks wmproop. No to all three of your queries. Not sure how to repond to answers so doing it with an answer.
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2009, 10:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by wmproop View Post
    Was a jumper installed on tstat from rc to rh?
    If the new t-stat has these terminals and they are not connected, the cooling won't function. A small piece of wire will do.
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2009, 10:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by chipschico View Post
    if i don't hear from anyone else i'll call the repairman tomorrow.
    Is that a threat?:D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

AC outside unit doesn't work [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have a simple question. I had a guy replacing the board on our hvac a few motnhs back to fix the heat. Today I turned on the AC for a first time this year and the outside unit did not start at all ( the fan on the inside unit is blowing ). I opened the system and I saw two wires going...

Age of airconditioner unit [ 1 Answers ]

I have a comfort Maker heat pump unit. Mod# CHP024 AKCI Part # 1088454-0179 Serial# E033733997 Manufacture# CHP024AKCI Can you tell me how old this unit is?

Noisy outside airconditioner unit [ 1 Answers ]

I have central ac and the unit outside is noisy ever since I had my quarterly maintenance. Could it be the "air handler" belt issue?

AC unit That does not work [ 1 Answers ]

When I set the thermostat to on there is a click on the outside unit but it still will not come on. Anything else. The outside circuit braker is a manual breaker, that can not be shut off through over load or short. To break this circuit, you have to remove the jumper which is in a good state. ...

My AC unit does not work [ 2 Answers ]

I owned a Carrier AC. The outside fan does not spin or work. The indoor thermostat control did not or has not shown any error message. I have checked out all circuit breaker and all tested OK. Is there a fuse somewhere I don't know about? What did I miss? Thanks

View more questions Search