Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    EliaNG Posts: 66, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2009, 08:19 PM
    Wisdom Teeth recently removed - questions
    One week ago I had three wisdom teeth removed (I apparently didn't grow a fourth one). Two lowers, one upper. One lower was partially impacted, both lowers were partially erupted (I think that's the term for partially exposed). The upper was fully exposed and not impacted. For reference I'm 47 years old. I had been getting progressively worse irritations of the gums around the lower teeth, and decided to have them removed (after consulting with both my family dentist and then the oral surgeon.

Today I had the stictches (4) removed. My reason for writing is that I am still in pain/discomfort. Removing the stitches helped, since I could feel them tugging on the gums. But it's the upper and lower jaw pain which is bothering me. Initially I was given a prescription of Vicodin for the pain, which I used for a couple of days, but didn't like its effect, so I switched to Acetominephen (ap?) and Ibuprofen. I still need to take two extra strength Tylenol ever six hours, and two Advil on a 6 hour cycle (which follows the Tylenol by 3 hours) to somewhat manage the pain. The pain is essentially a full jaw pain. For those that had braces - like when they were tightened - but much stronger pain. I mentioned this to the oral surgeon today and he said for someone my age it could take a total of 10 to 14 days to heal. And that the pain was normal. He didn't mention, while looking at my extraction sites whether I had a dry socket... though I'm wondering if that is what I might have. I haven't had a full night sleep in about a week and this is now really annoying me. I get up after 3 hrs to take the next pain medication.

Some questions I have are:

1. Is my post extraction pain condition within the range of "normal"?
    2. How long before the extraction site close over completely?

I would appreciate any comments on input on this.

Thanks in advance,

Elia
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2009, 09:27 PM

From what you have described, it does sound like your pain is within the "normal" range. Keep in mind, it was surgery so discomfort afterwards is expected. The amount of time you feel this way really depends on the complexity of your particular surgery. The fact that you said 2 of yours were impacted, then what you're experiencing sounds about right.

Many people only use the vicodin for the first couple days and then switch to acetaminophen or ibuprofen after that.

Because it's already been a week, it's unlikely that you have a dry socket. Have you been following your doctor's post op directions? If so, you should be fine. Rinse several times a day with warm salt water to help with healing.

The extraction sites should be healed over in a couple months.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2009, 04:07 AM

Listen to nikosmom, she's given you good advice.
    flow108 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2009, 04:55 AM
    Speaking as somebody who has had several teeth removed, 1) Yes it is normal. 2) The longest I've experienced is about two weeks but if you are worried, go back and see a professional.

Jun 19, 2009, 03:41 PM
    Thanks Nicosmom, thanks all.

Funny thing - last night, after posting this thread, I had 6 hours of straight sleep. I did take some Advil and a Benedryl, but wow, essentially a night's sleep. Today I've taken some pain relievers but have so far gone 7 hrs after my last dose. Maybe I've turned a corner? :) Minor discomfort is all.

I have been very diligent to mild salt water rinse after each meal and before going to bed at night. [ 1/4 teaspoon in 8 oz water, per the instructions given to me by the dental office]. I think I'll continue this for at least the next, if not longer. I also have not eaten any hard foods, preferring soft stuff and yogurt [I will be thrilled when I have my next burger, steak, crispy french fries, or other 'hearty' food].

Nicosmom, fortunately I only had one impacted tooth, though both lowers were partially erupted. In any event, the discomfort is now less, and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks again,

Elia
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2009, 05:30 PM

Thanks for coming back and posting an update. Probably after the next few days you may not even need the advil. I think you're out of the worst part of it now though. You'll be eating that steak before you know it! :)

Jun 26, 2009, 05:42 PM
    Hi Nicosmom and all,

I thought I would provide an update at about the two week point after my wisdom teeth removal. Things are almost completely normal now. I do take Advil maybe once a day, as there is some very slight, but noticeable aching. It is most bothersome when/if I wake at night - it's tough to fall back asleep immediately. Other than that I'm back to essentially eating normal foods. Hard and crisp things like hard shell tacos I'm staying away from, but otherwise OK. Thanks again for letting me know that two weeks was a reasonable length of time. Now I can't wait for those gum holes to fill in.

Elia
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2009, 06:58 PM

The sockets will close in slowly, just keep them clean by rinsing well. Thanks for the update!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wisdom teeth removed [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I had 2 wisdom teeth removed today (10am) 1 of them was impacted and I have a sticth there now! I was wanting to know if it was normal for it to still be bleeding? Its very very painful and swollen I have taken 2 codine and that seems to of help the pain and also there is a funny taste and odour...

Husband getting wisdom teeth removed.thing I should get while he recovers? [ 12 Answers ]

My husband is 26 and will be getting all 4 of his wisdom teeth extracted tomorrow. I had all 4 of mine extracted when I was about 16... so that was 9 years ago and I can't remember too much about it. I know they say recovery is worse the older you are (as far as this goes). I am going out...

4 wisdom teeth and questions [ 8 Answers ]

I had my 4 wisdom teeth pulled... it wasn't that bad.. its been a week today since it has happened I have been trying to eat solid foods and it doesn't really hurt.. I don't know how bad that is? Will it hurt me or give me dry sockets.. also since its been a week and almost all of my stitches have...

I got all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed. [ 6 Answers ]

K I just got all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed 5 days ago and I'm still in pain and I'm still swollen. 1 of my stitches fell out today and I'm wondering if that's normal. I'm like totally freaking out. Am I allowed to smoke? I have been and I'm very worried if I'm going to get an infection. Can...

Wisdom teeth [ 10 Answers ]

All four of my wisdom teeth are coming out together. Uper left one doesn't hurt at all but coming out in a wrong direction, lower left one is perfectly fine so far. The problem is with the right side, there is not enough space for the teeth to come out, uppor or lower part, the pain started couple...

View more questions Search