Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bandgeek121 Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2009, 06:32 PM
    I think my mom's too paranoid
    I don't mean to sound rude or ungrateful, but I think my mom can be a little too paranoid/controlling. I know I'm young (14) but I don't think she gives me enough space to do anything. She thinks just because her little sister got pregnant at 16, that I'm going to make the same wrong decisions my aunt made. I know she is just trying to look out for me but I think she is taking it way too far. Like once I asked her if I could start running in the mornings like at 4 am to try and stay in shape and maybe lose a few pounds and she told me this, I quote "No babe, I don't want anything bad to happen to you. There are just some weird people out there and I don't want anything to happen to my baby. I don't need you getting abducted by some weirdo." we live in a neighborhood where everyone knows everyone and I asked her this a few months ago. Seriously, I'm going to high school in less than 2 months and she treats me like I'm 5. I can't even take the dog for a walk without her saying "Call me if you have any problems." she thinks just because I had a date to my dinner dance that if I'm going for a walk I'm going to meet "that boy" to go make-out, I take that as an insult because I'm better than that and I am far more mature mentally than she thinks. I wish I could talk to her about this problem because it's hurting my feelings that she would think that I would go that low as to do that kind of stuff behind her back, but I don't know how to approach this issue without hurting her feelings. Do you have any advice you could give me. I didn't mean to sound rude in any way, so sorry if I did. Please I need some advice on how I could talk to her about it without sounding you know, like a spoiled rotten brat.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 18, 2009, 06:43 PM

And it is because there are 1000's of teens ( we see them here) that all think at 12 or 14 they are grown.

And out running at 4 in the morning, you would not be doing that at 16, I have to say a 14 year old has no business out that time of the morning, your mom is so right.

I guess yes you are sounding rude and ungrateful and actually it sounds like your mom is a lot more right than you believe.
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2009, 06:44 PM
    I don't have much advice to give. I think you mother is on the right track... it's unfortunate, but this is a parent's job to be paranoid/overprotective and help you become a healthy successful adult.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2009, 07:01 PM

It doesn't sound like she doesn't trust you, so your feelings shouldn't really be hurt. It just sounds like she loves you. As parents we don't want to think of anything happening to our babies. You'll still be her baby even when you're 35. :)

She's protecting you. Do you ever watch the news? There are women in their 20s and 30s that get kidnapped/raped/assaulted while out jogging in "safe" neighborhoods. Especially at 4am, it's unlikely that any of your neighbors would be out so if something did happen, you wouldn't have any extra eyes watching. I'm sure you hear this all the time, but times have changed [okay, roll your eyes now]. But it's the truth. Gone are the days when you can leave your doors unlocked or the neighbors kept an eye on each others' kids. Things are just... different.

As for thinking you're making out with a boy- well all moms think that! She was 14 once so she knows all about raging hormones. She's just nervous because she wants the best for you. Just keep your relationship open and honest and you will gain more freedoms over time.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2009, 07:07 PM

The others are right. I'm not even a parent and I still wouldn't want you out at 4 am. And so what if she tells you to call if something goes wrong? She's letting you out of the house.
    And it seems like its those "safest" neighborhoods where the most horrific murders always happen... be grateful your mom cares.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2009, 07:17 PM

Yes, it is dark at 4 am! Even still at 5 am... I would know since I had to work a few overnighters this week and got off at 5... I don't even like having to walk to my own door at that time. And I live in a safe neighborhood too.

Jun 18, 2009, 07:33 PM

I know what kind of world I live in, I'm not some person who lives under a rock and ignores the news , but I don't think my mom should smother me because I have to grow up sometime. And if she is so paranoid why can't she get off her big butt and come with me to shed a few extra pounds and bond with her daughter? She is never home and it's my summer vacation and it has sucked because she won't let me do anything. I have not been able to do anything outside and it has been 70 and sunny, I actually miss school because I was actually busy and was able to go outside. I believe it is unfair for me not to be able to do anything at all when it is nice and sunny except sit on the couch and get fat. Plus the whole 4 am thing was just a time I threw in I could go at 5 or 6 and who are you people to tell me that it is dark where I live? You don't even know where I live and plus my dad was cool with it, my mom is the one being difficult. Plus there hasn't been any "horrific murders" in our neighborhood and I doubt there ever will because there is only old people and the lord knows they can't do anything without breaking a hip. And the whole making out with a boy thing, she never thought that of me before until now and I think I have the right to be offended by that. I'm not like her or her sister and she has failed to see that. I have had more control of my actions at my age than most of the people I know, and who is she to think that just because I'm taking the dog out for a walk means that I'm going to sleep around. I think it is just unfair for her to think I'm going to make the same stupid decisions she made and my aunt made. It's not my fault my aunt made bad decisions so why should I have to take the fall?
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2009, 07:51 PM

First of all, abductions,kidnappings, sexual assaults actually usually happen by people you think you know or your family knows. It happens in neighborhoods that you think you can trust people but your mom is right. It is not being paranoid.

Most people have bad things happens that are actually by friends, relatives or neighbors.

Everybody else answered your question and I just wanted to make a point that even in a so called safe neighborhood where you think you know it is safe. It is not.
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2009, 07:55 PM

Look your 14 you have no business, nor does anybody, being outside at 4a.m.

If you don't want to get fat and slob on the couch all day then pick up the paper and look for places where you can volunteer; retirement homes, animal shelters, charity events. If your worried about getting fat then go on Videojug and look up excercises and follow the videos at home.

If taking a walk is so important to you why don't you ask your mother if you and her can go-- maybe after dinner or at sunset. See now you can bond.

I was your age too- I thought I knew everything. Wake up. Your only 14 of course your mom is going to be on your case- I wish mine was maybe I wouldn't have gotten into the wrong crowd, maybe I wouldn't have had lots of things happen because of my poor choices and be left to fend for myself.

Sarah
    lighterrr Posts: 1,415, Reputation: 72
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2009, 08:03 PM

You seem to be very articulate and intelligent for your age. Try talking to your mom and maybe you can compromise by running @ 6 or 7 am instead of 4. Your mommy only wants the best for you.

Jun 18, 2009, 08:07 PM

Why the hell would I want to watch exercise TV. I would rather get outside. You people are missing the point. Why don't you people spend a day with my mom and you will see what I'm talking about. My dad even thinks she worries too much.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 18, 2009, 08:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bandgeek121 View Post
    i know what kind of world i live in, i'm not some person who lives under a rock and ignores the news , but i don't think my mom should smother me because i have to grow up sometime. and if she is so paranoid why can't she get off her big butt and come with me to shed a few extra pounds and bond with her daughter? she is never home and it's my summer vacation and it has sucked because she won't let me do anything. i have not been able to do anything outside and it has been 70 and sunny, i actually miss school because i was actually busy and was able to go outside. i believe it is unfair for me not to be able to do anything at all when it is nice and sunny except sit on the couch and get fat. plus the whole 4 am thing was just a time i threw in i could go at 5 or 6 and who are you people to tell me that it is dark where i live? you don't even know where i live and plus my dad was cool with it, my mom is the one being difficult. plus there hasn't been any "horrific murders" in our neighborhood and i doubt there ever will because there is only old people and the lord knows they can't do anything without breaking a hip. and the whole making out with a boy thing, she never thought that of me before until now and i think i have the right to be offended by that. i'm not like her or her sister and she has failed to see that. i have had more control of my actions at my age than most of the people i know, and who is she to think that just because i'm taking the dog out for a walk means that i'm going to sleep around. i think it is just unfair for her to think i'm going to make the same stupid decisions she made and my aunt made. it's not my fault my aunt made bad decisions so why should i have to take the fall?
    Yes, now I totally understand.
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2009, 08:10 PM
    Well now I am seeing an attitude that isn't even very mature.

You are the one who is really missing the point.

You live under her roof, by her rules. When you are older, you will appreciate the concern and caring that she is showing as a mother.

In addition to how you will feel when it is your own child that wants to be out at for a.m. Maybe you should run around the basement, or find another alternative for exercise.

Jun 18, 2009, 08:24 PM

Oh my god lady you are still missing the point! It's not about the running it is about my mom treating me like I'm going to make the same bad decisions SHE and HER SISTER made. It's about me needing some space and a chance to do what I want to do. She wouldn't even let me pick my own classes for high school. How do you think I feel?
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2009, 08:25 PM
    You are still missing the point.

Raise your own children differently, if you feel so strongly about it.

Until then, her house, her rules and your protection.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 18, 2009, 08:36 PM
    oh my god lady you are still missing the point! it's not about the running it is about my mom treating me like i'm going to make the same bad decisions SHE and HER SISTER made. it's about me needing some space and a chance to do what i want to do. she wouldn't even let me pick my own classes for high school. how do you think i feel?
    No, YOU are missing the point. You are too young to be making the decisions you think you should make for yourself. If you were my child, you would have daily chores, would be learning to cook and bake, would be reading at least one book a week, would be volunteering somewhere, would be helping people in your neighborhood (for free), and would not wear clothes that I hadn't helped you pick out.

Please post here when your daughter is 14.
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2009, 08:50 PM

I am curious to know "what do you want to do?"

Give some examples besides wanting to jog at 4am. I can understand the school thing but so far I only see you having a concern mom. Be grateful because some kids don't even have that.

Jun 18, 2009, 08:51 PM

Are you saying that I don't already do most of that stuff? I am able to move out of the house in 3 1/2 years thank you very much plus this post was about asking how I could talk to my mom about this not YOUR opinions about my age and decision making. And who says I even want kids? Who are you people to assume that?

Jun 18, 2009, 08:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by liz28 View Post
    I am curious to know "what do you want to do?"

Give some examples besides wanting to jog at 4am. I can understand the school thing but so far I only see you having a concern mom. Be grateful because some kids don't even have that.
    She is just too controlling. Like she doesn't like the idea of me having friends of a different gender, and I'ts not about the jogging. I just feel as though she is keeping me in a cage.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 18, 2009, 09:05 PM
    she is just too controlling. like she doesn't like the idea of me having friends of a different gender, and i'ts not about the jogging. i just feel as though she is keeping me in a cage.
    "a different gender"? - like boys? Smart lady!

So you have regular chores, volunteer somewhere, help neighbors, read at least one book a week, and know how to cook and bake?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mom's Way Or No Way! [ 15 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone can relate to me. I'm getting married in Sep my fiancé and I have been together a little over three years now. I started planning our wedding about a year ago when we officially announced our engagement. When I first started I was really happy and excited, but now I...

Mom's T.V. On the refrigerator [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Everyone I have 2 questions dealing with Mom's T.V. 1-My mother has a Sanyo T.V. that for a few years she loved having on top of her big Refrigerator (to her the perfect spot) lately its been giving her trouble.The symptoms are --No picture (the screen is black) and sound is static --The...

Brother won't leave mom's house after mom's death [ 3 Answers ]

Hello My mother died recently. My brother is the executor of the estate. He lived with my mother prior to her death. The will clearly states that of all of mom's posssessions go into an estate, get sold and then be evenly distributed among six siblings. My brother is refusing to put the...

My mom's loser boyfriend [ 2 Answers ]

So 4 years ago my parents got a divorce, I was 13. I kind of expected it so it didn't hit me as hard as I thought. My mom started dating this guy who was 23 and she was 37. I was a bit bothered by this but at the time she let me do practically whatever I wanted, and I was a rebellious teen I guess...

View more questions Search