Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Coryn Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2006, 04:06 PM
    Anyone try medication to cure PMS?
    I am usually a really caring,upbeat, and energetic person. However, 3 -5 days of the month I feel really irritated, anxious, emotional, angry, and self-conscious. It is always just before my period and it is really difficult to deal with. I try and talk myself out of negative feelings because being low and negative is no way to live. I try to eat healthy and exercise. My hormones just seem to take over.

I have 2 kids that I adore and always try to put on my best for them. When my husband comes home its like "watch out" Poor guy. I take it out on him. It is really all PMS I am sure because it happens like clockwork with my cycle.

On my last visit to the doctor I finally admitted that I have severe PMS. She prescribed to me some form of Prozac to take only 3-5 days before period to help with PMS. It is a very low dose.

Will this work? I really don't want to self medicate but 3-5 days of bitterness is no fun for me or my husband. What does anyone think? I still have the prescription but have not filled it yet. I am hoping someone will tell me if they experience similar or have knowledge on this subject.

And if anyone does take Prozac could you tell me what some common side effects are.

Thanks to anyone with infor or answers for me.

Coryn
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 11, 2006, 04:21 PM
    Some form of Prozac?

Please read the label and tell me exactly what it is.

Prozac takes about 6 weeks to reach a therapeutic level.

Please read the label or prescription and tell me what it is. "Some form of Prozac" can be 100s of different meds.
    Coryn Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2006, 07:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Some form of Prozac?

Please read the label and tell me exactly what it is.

Prozac takes about 6 weeks to reach a therapeutic level.

Please read the label or prescription and tell me what it is. "Some form of Prozac" can be 100s of different meds.

I appreciate your time reading my question. I got a prescription for FLUOXETINE hcl 20 mg capsules. Common brand name is Prozac and Sarafem. I just got my prescription today.

The doctor told me that it can now be used just for a few days a month after I ovulate and 3-5 days before I menstuate. I told her I thought I had to build it up in my system over a period for it to be effective.

She said that it is not the case and I can use it to treat PMDD premenstual dysphoric disorder ( a severe form of pms). Apparently there has been some success in using a mild dose just a few days of the month to treat PMS.

I am tying it out starting tonight. If anyone is curious how it is working I will let you know. My husband has me under observation, and told me he would be honest about any changes (good or bad) that he notices. I am still curious on any info/ experience anyone may have on this matter.

Thanks a bunch
    Coryn
    Depressed in MO Posts: 571, Reputation: 94

Oct 13, 2006, 07:23 AM
    I think a lot of women who have PMS have these same syptoms, including me. All I do is pop 2 midols every 4 hours (I don't exceed 6 pills per day), and it helps TREMENDOUSLY. You probably didn't need to go see your doctor. This helps with the bloating, the pain, the moodswings-OMG you would be surprised. But everyone is different. This pill works IMMEDIATELY once I take it, and it does not take 4-6 weeks to get into my system.
    If you haven't already, you should try it.
    LucyMcgoo Posts: 27, Reputation: 3

Oct 13, 2006, 11:29 AM
    The pill is supposed calm down the crazy female hormonal thing. You can get it prescribed even if you don't need it.
    goodneighborswanted Posts: 10, Reputation: 3

Oct 16, 2006, 09:04 PM
    Maybe try another doctor. Prozac seems to be the cure all for everything. I had docs wanting me to take it when I was diagnosed with cancer, new mom, dad dying and dh retiring form the military. Mom of 1 here.Never did any Prozac and glad I didn't. Cancer free 10 years next month! I'm an avid food label reader, no BHT, BHA or anything that I do not know what it is or can eat! Also on a soy kick. I eat as much prior to my "weird" cycle start and sure it has helped. Soy milk, try the vanilla to start with, tofu, soy beans steamed like I had in Japan, etc. Also cut down the caffine (coffee, choc. etc.) prior to cycle start for a couple days. I also have noticed I crave lots of starchy foods (pasta, breads that I only eat during my menstral) and also eat all the "bad stuff during my menstral cycle. Discovering what works PRIOR to the beginning of it is the key I think. Hope this helps. I'm no expert just some life experience!
    jurplesman Posts: 83, Reputation: 7
    -

Oct 22, 2006, 08:44 PM
    A lot of cases of PMS are due to a nutritional disorder. Before considering the drug route investigate the nutritional aspects of PMS. Sometimes it is just a matter of vitamin B6, or zinc deficiency. Also have a look at

What is Hypoglycemia?
    elizrez Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2007, 08:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Coryn
    I am usually a really caring,upbeat, and energetic person. However, 3 -5 days of the month I feel really irritated, anxious, emotional, angry, and self-conscious. It is always just before my period and it is really difficult to deal with. I try and talk myself out of negative feelings because being low and negative is no way to live. I try to eat healthy and exercise. My hormones just seem to take over.

I have 2 kids that I adore and always try to put on my best for them. When my husband comes home its like "watch out" Poor guy. I take it out on him. It is really all PMS I am sure because it happens like clockwork with my cycle.

On my last visit to the doctor I finally admitted that I have severe PMS. She prescribed to me some form of Prozac to take only 3-5 days before period to help with PMS. It is a very low dose.

Will this work? I really don't want to self medicate but 3-5 days of bitterness is no fun for me or my husband. What does anyone think? I still have the prescription but have not filled it yet. I am hoping someone will tell me if they experience similiar or have knowledge on this subject.

And if anyone does take Prozac could you tell me what some common side effects are.

Thanks to anyone with infor or answers for me.

Coryn
    I have the same problem. Would you please let me know how the medication works for you? Thanks! Elizabeth
    tribbs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2010, 02:39 AM
    Some prozac's side effects are weight gain or weight loss, anorgasmia, plus brain zaps when stopping medication. However I took it for a while and all my pms symptoms went away. I severe pms symptoms also known as PMDD but with prozac all of it was gone. But I took it all the time on very low dose.

I finally stopped prozac because the side effects were bigger than the 10 days of pms but now I find myself AGAIN about to lose everything in my life every month!
    I can't find anything to be a mild reliever of pms without having such side effects.
    Jordan. Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2011, 07:50 AM
    I'm hoping Coryn is still on the thread, I'm really interested in how the Prozac worked. My doctor made the same suggestion on my last GYN visit. She said when taking the Prozac for PMS symptoms you don't need to wait for the med to accumulate in your system, it seems to be effective at a small dose just during PMS. You describe my symptoms exactly and while I take multi-vits and exercise regularly, I find that with 3 young kids I can't just go out for a run when I start to feel more agitated or anxious. I've never been an anxious or negative person in the past but feel this has been a BIG problem since the birth of my last child. I'm desperate to find something that won't make me feel like a monster once a month.
    robalina Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2011, 05:54 AM
    I have severe pms disorder and I am scared to take prozac or any other drug that is synthetic…the mood swings are awful…my alter ego Gerhilda has wrecked my marriage, my friendships and my relationships…it's as if she just wants to eat and destroy…

I have tried antidepressants etc no help there…Someone told me I am probably now going into perimenopause…I have floods now and irregular cycles and the pms is getting even more severe…HELP before Gerhilda ruins my life completely!

Biodentical Hormone's I hear are supposed to help…Why can't dr.'s find out my hormone levels? So frustrated...
    AngieLewis Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2011, 11:01 AM
    I had very worse type of PMS. I even having thought of commit suicide. Not sure was it my family too stressful for me. AS my husband disabled, two kids and two dogs to look after. But I love my dogs, they help to relieve my stress. But few days before my period, I always shouting and screaming. Been very nasty, saying words very horrible to hear.

Doctor prescribed me B6 and other medication, but all don't seem to works. I bought primrose oil myself tried it till now been few weeks. Don't help too.

Can anyone give me better advice, before I thinking about leaving my husband or commit suicide to solve my bad PMS. THANK YOU.
    QLP Posts: 980, Reputation: 656

Sep 17, 2011, 04:59 PM
    I find agnus castus very helpful, I am just about going into menopause now and PMT did rear its head quite significantly for a while.

Agnus castus Marriage Saviour

I also take Maca root daily. I put it in fruit smoothies.

Maca, maca - Women Living Naturally

http://www.livestrong.com/article/98...enefits-women/

Epsom salt baths are very soothing, and help raise your magnesium levels safely which can help with PMT symptoms.

Also, please take time out for yourself whenever you can, even if only in small bursts, as accumulating stress definitely doesn't help. Take whatever help you can get in life. Is there a friend or relative who would be willing to take the kids out for an hour or two once in a while? A play centre you could drop them off at?

Exercise and good diet also help of course. Good organic oats are not only very nutritious but calming to the nervous system.

I tried vitamin B6 in the past which didn't help, although I do find a good vitamin B combination, which covers all the B vitamins is a little more helpful. The evening primrose oil didn't work for me either.

Different things seem to help different people, so please do hang on in there, I am sure you will find something helpful if you keep searching.
    liveformore Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2013, 07:43 AM
    I've started taking Fluoxetine HCL (prozac)20 mg for severe PMS about 10 days before my period. My PMS has always been bad and very predictable and starts with a bang at 10 days before period with another spike at 5 days before.
    My OBGYN prescribed this to take once very day 2 weeks before.
    As I don't like the idea of taking these meds, I'm taking one pill every other day starting at 10 days before. Actually only take it about 4 times as PMS symptoms seem to subside a few days before.
    I just turned 50 and find that the PMS is getting worse at this point in my life.
    My outbursts and negativity were getting so out of hand that I decided the quality of life for me and the lives of my husband & 2 children are worth whatever side effects may accompany this drug.
    It really seems to work.
    I haven't noticed any side effects.
    I find it works better than the PMS over the counter pills (acetaminophen/pamabrom/pyrilamine maleate)
    It appears to 'take the edge off'
    Hope this is helpful.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How long must a garage pad cure before you can build on it? [ 1 Answers ]

Once you have your garage pad poured, how long do you have to wait before you start framing your garage? Thanks, lbrowne

Period suppression for PMS? [ 5 Answers ]

Has anyone on the board tried period suppression (taking birth control all the time with no 7 day break) for PMS? I've been on the pill for a while now, but in spite of that I have really wicked PMS and periods... bloating, cold sores, soreness, allergy symptoms, cravings, headaches and insomnia...

View more questions Search