Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shortydee Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2006, 02:46 PM
    Court Judgement
    If you put a judgement lien on someone's bank account and the person
    Closes the account, what happens to the lien? Is it dismiss by the bank?
    Or the courts? Or is the person still responsible to pay the debit. I recently
    Won a court judgement in small claims court but I know the person has no
    Money in their accunt. Does it make sense to do it or not?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 11, 2006, 04:53 PM
    Generally you don't put liens on bank accounts. If you have a valid judgement against someone, you can serve the bank and attach the account. The bank will award what's in the account.

Liens are placed against real property. A lien has to be satisfied before the property can be transferred.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 11, 2006, 06:41 PM
    Hello what should happen is that first you get a judgement, that says that they owe you the money. Then you can get an attachment ( sometimes called garnishment by some poeple) of their bank account Once served to the bank it is support to freeze the money in the account.

If they have not money in it, you can leave the attachment there, since if they put any money into it, it will be frozen and attached by the court order.

So if they have moved their money to another bank, you have to find that bank account and go back and get another attachment based on the original judgement. You can also try for a garnishment of their pay if they are working.

And that is why many times I and others don't waste our time taking someone to court. If they have no money, no job to garnish, it only wastes your money filing and time appearing. The court only awards you the money, it is now up to you to find it and get it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Summary Judgement [ 7 Answers ]

How much time do we have to respond to motion for summary Judgement?

Judgement [ 3 Answers ]

My question is about a judgement that was posted to my credit report. I am in the military and was deployed to Iraq when the judgement was brought to court. It is for a surgery that my now ex-wife had several years ago. I got divorced last year, and not until I went to purchase a house in a new...

Judgement for vehicle [ 2 Answers ]

Three years ago I had bad credit and brought a cadillac for 14500 with the interest it was 18500. I paid 4000 down and 600 a month for 10 months but the car kept breaking down so the car repair fees was expensive. I fell behind on paying the car and I was sued for 9700. After the judgement I paid...

Judgement [ 6 Answers ]

My question is about a judgement that was posted to my credit report. I am in the military and was deployed to Iraq when the judgement was brought to court. It is for a surgery that my now ex-wife had several years ago. I got divorced last year, and not until I went to purchase a house in a new...

Judgement against me.. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am hoping to receive some advice on how to handle what I feel is in correct judgement that was placed against me on my credit report. My mother passed away in 2001. She had no money in her estate to cover past bills. I received collections letters from her mortgage company in her...

View more questions Search