Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    avillestu Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2009, 10:59 AM
    Weird noise. Anyone ever hear something like this?
    In my basement, where the water and propane gas pipes enter, I hear a noise periodically throughout the day which I can best describe as being like a light ball dropped on a hard surface from a few inches above, and then quickly bouncing a few times. I have visually inspected the area while the noise is occurring but can't locate the source (it may be coming from elsewhere and traveling along the pipes). It is annoying, as this is a finished basement and I can hear it in the living area.

Does anyone know what type of device might be causing this, where it would likely be located, and what it looks like?

We're on city water and sewerage, with a propane gas tank. I do see a couple of devices that look like regulators for water or gas pressure, but am not positive what they are (I just moved into Asheville, NC and am not familiar with things up here yet).

The sound does not seem to happen when water or gas or the HVAC system is turned on. It happens of its own accord. It might occur for a few minutes, then stop, then start up again later... almost as if a bit of pressure were being released, and there is some sort of a check ball at the top of a vent which lets the pressure out, but nothing in, and bounces a few times in the process.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 18, 2009, 11:16 AM
    The first thin I would suspect would be the toilets. Let's reverse the washer first. Shut the water off under the tank and take the lid off. Remove the three screws on top of the ballcock,(sae image) and pull the stem,washer and float assembly up. Pry the washer out and turn it over. Seat it back firmly and see if that doesn't help.
    Sometimes the problem is caused by the ballcock trying to fill while water is seeping out of the tank. The sound you hear is the washer vibrating against the seat of the ballcock. First check there linkage between the flapper and the flush lever. It should have 1/4" of play when your tank is filled. The water level should be 1/2" below the white overflow tube after the tank's filled. Next feel the flat side of your flapper. Does it have wavey edges? Do your hands come away black? Replace it if it does. And last check the seat itself. Any nicks or rough spots? If so click on back. There are replacement seats that glue right over the old one and are easy to replace. One of the above should take care of your noise. If not click on back and we'll explore farther. Good luck, Tom
    avillestu Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2009, 08:57 AM
    Tom, thanks for your detailed response. I will give this a try when time permits and let you know what I find.

I assume I can test the theory by shutting off the water valves at all 3 toilets in the house (to see if it stops the noise) rather than having to disassemble the check valves in each?

If I'm mistaken about this, I hope you will let me know.

Thanks again, Tom -
    Stuart
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 28, 2014, 09:44 AM
    Ahh! You want the easy fix where you don't have to open up the ballcock and reverse the washer. The valve that would affect it most would be the valve under the tank. Let me know if it works. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

01 dodge caravan makes weird noise [ 2 Answers ]

My 2001 dodge caravan makes a loud whining noise when cranked during cold weather. The colder the temp. the louder the noise & the longer the noise lasts. The noise usually only lasts a couple of seconds. But when its really cold (10 to 20 degrees) it may last 30 seconds. It doesn't sound like a...

02 Accord had blower motor transistor replaced now I hear a flutter noise [ 1 Answers ]

My ac quit working on all speeds except 4 after having the hepa filter replaced. Took it back to the dealership they said it was the blower motor transistor. Just picked it up and now I hear a fluttering noise on all settings except off. Called the dealership and they say it is probably leaves in...

Weird Cracking Noise [ 1 Answers ]

It seems like every time I walk I can hear this cracking noise. Its like it never stops. It seems like every time I move something cracks. Whether its my ankle or my wrist or my elbow or my know or simetimes its even my shoulder. Is this normal for everyboyd? I am a gymnast so would that have...

Maytag Wide by Side Freezer making weird noise [ 5 Answers ]

My Maytag MZD2665HEQ is only 3 years old and it already had compressor issues. The compressor was replaced in February, but since then the freezer makes a weird creaking/groaning noise. It stops when the freezer door is opened but restarts as soon as you close it. Any idea what could be causing...

View more questions Search