Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    auquamarie Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2009, 08:46 AM
    Water in vents
    I found water in my central cooling and heating vents does anyone know where this could be coming from?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 18, 2009, 11:53 AM
    Sounds like you have a AC condensate line that's clogged and the pan's overflowing into your ducts. But hey! Whadda I know? I'n just a plumber not a AC guy so I'm moving this so the AC experts can check it out. Good luck, Tom
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jun 18, 2009, 03:47 PM
    More details

I found water in my central cooling and heating vents does anyone know where this could be coming from?

Up flow or downflow furnnace?
    As speedball said have you checked your condensate line for restrictions?
    When was the last time your unit was professionally serviced?
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2009, 09:17 PM
    This one is way out in left field and may be irrelevant, but... last month I arrived at a home for routine a/c service and was greeted by a sewage-like odor. The homeowner explained that water had been leaking into the sub-slab duct system and the source was presumed to be the high water table in the area. They planned on having a French drain installed for a cool $2700 and hoped this would solve the problem. Moving along... the system was a counterflow arrangement, and I slid the evaporator out to clean it. The homeowner was washing some dishes in the kitchen sink, and I observed soap suds floating by in the ductwork. Turns out the sanitary pipe serving the kitchen sink was broken and dumping into the nearby duct. A plumber was contracted, the problem was repaired and bye-bye went the odor and humidity problems they had been living with for months. The guy who was going to do the French drain... well, he was a li'l bummed... but he'll live...
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jun 18, 2009, 10:04 PM
    Been there before on that one. In slab duct is a good system but it does have its draw backs like improper install. If the duct was installed properly drain water could not get in unless it ran across the floor and into a register.
    auquamarie Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2009, 06:41 AM

I wish I knew how to rate your answers that button is not showing at the bottom of each post just wanted to let you know called the plumber today and your replies will be very helpful thank you. I have not been running the air conditioning so (KC13) your idea sounds like it might actually be it. Thanks again everyone!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

AC: Water at Unit & in Vents [ 2 Answers ]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/krazyall4u16/AC_Unit.jpg This image is to help me explain the problem, please forgive the lack of greatness, and my lack of knowledge in this field. Will try to give all the info I can manage. :) Firstly, for a couple days now we have noticed some...

Water in vents. [ 1 Answers ]

I had water in my floor vents after a heavy rain last summer. Have gotten to estimates on running ducts through ceiling. One was 5700 the other was 4500. The 5700 said they would pour cement through all the floor ducts throughout the house. The other one said they only fill the actual vents. ...

Water in vents [ 2 Answers ]

Please help! I have a mobile hame, the vents are full of water up to the middle room! I have no idea what caused it! It started in the end of the house and has got to this point, Ive asked family and friends who have their own heating & air business and they can't give me an answer?? My daughter...

Water dripping from the a/c vents [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have an a/c which I have been using these last two years and lately, after around 2 hours of usage on cool at a temperature of 22 degrees Celsius, large drops of water start dripping from the A/C vents and keep on dripping on and off until I switch it off. Can someone tell me what the...

Musky Smell from vents and water [ 12 Answers ]

We have a musky smell coming up through the heating vents. Also I have noticed that our ice cubes have been coming out with an odor, similar to the kind of odor and taste they get after sitting unused for a while. But this smell is with them right from the first day. I don't know if there is a...

View more questions Search