Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    poncagirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2006, 01:53 PM
    Reliquish rights as a father
    My fiancé wants to relinquish his rights he doesn't want the child to have his last name and he doesn't want to pay child support anymore... the mother doesn't let us see the child she is remarried and upset that my fiancé has moved on too. We haven't seen his daughter in almost 8 months we don't have 20-30 thousand $ or the time to get a lawyer for visitation or joint custody, and by my understanding the mother has done this to him before the child is 8 and out of all those years he's seen the child a total of 3 years!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 11, 2006, 02:06 PM
    So, what is your question? Other than how this will effect the child? Poor thing.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 11, 2006, 07:09 PM
    Sadly these things are hard on everyone.

If he wants to give up his rights, and the mother is OK with it, ( often done so the new husband can adopt) Then they can do it. Most mothers don't do it, since they want child support ( she can force him to pay)

Some states don't honor grandparents rights, some do.
    YeloDasy Posts: 363, Reputation: 81

Oct 11, 2006, 09:44 PM
    I don't think he can relinquish his rights unless the new father puts in for adoption. I am with J-9 and don't know your question.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2006, 07:20 PM
    Well, if he has a court order to pay child support, there's really no way he can get out of it, period. Likewise, if the child has been proven to be his, she cannot take away his rights to visitation. If he chooses not to exercise them that's his prerogative but nothing can just be "taken away" or "relinquished."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

So you mean I'm a new father with no rights? [ 8 Answers ]

My ex-girlfriend just gave birth last Thursday to a baby girl which I believe is mine. She is very manupulative, and yesterday told me never to call or come by again. All through her stay at the hospital, no one, not a single nurse or caregiver would even speak to me - in fact they were more...

Father parental rights? [ 7 Answers ]

I havent seen my son in about 5 years or so even though we live a stone throw away. I have always acknowledged him with each birthday and xmas too. He is seven years of age and my ex partner has a new life as I do too. I have tried to hide my pain over these years hoping she'd have the decency...

Bio-Father wants rights after abandonment [ 3 Answers ]

I had a daughter with this guy that never wanted her. He even said that she was not his. I told him to take the paternity test and he did'nt want to. So now 3 years later, he has another family and want's to take the paternity test, and wants visitation rights. I already went on with my life, met...

Underaged pregnancy, the father have rights? [ 14 Answers ]

I just turned 17, my girlfriend who is 16 is about a month pregnant already making plans. I am the father of the child and I live hundreds and hundreds of miles away from my girlfriend. Her mother and father are supporting her. I want to be a full part of the child's life and take care of my...

Step father rights to adopt? [ 6 Answers ]

Me and my partner have been together over two years we have a baby together and I have a son from a previous relationship. My partner James has always looked upon my son as his own and has been there since he was 6 months old. My sons dad doesn't have contact with him as I got fed up of doing all...

View more questions Search