How can you tell if it a interior wall or a Load Bearing Walls
    Smurflilly Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2009, 03:30 AM

How can you tell if it a interior wall or a Load Bearing Walls
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2009, 04:39 AM

Hi Smurflilly

All walls that are inside the 4 outside walls are interior walls.

If u have a basement, there will be a girder with columns supporting it. The wall above the girder is load bearing.\

If u have an attic, the floor beams will overlap at wall below. This is a load bearing wall.

If can't see in basement or attic, the wall that is perpendicular to pitch of roof is usually load bearing.This is not true of all perpendicular walls.

Open ceiling at wall in question to see if ceiling beams overlap.If they do, this is a
    load bearing wall.

Chuck

Jun 18, 2009, 07:49 AM

Ok I will have to check that.Another Question My home is a 1953 cape how did they build their home at that time with load bearing walls? If I did open up a load bearing wall alrighty and took out about 3 studs would that cause any problems
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 18, 2009, 09:15 AM

Removing any framing from a load bearing wall can be dangerous. You must shore up the wall with a new header sitting on several studs at each end. Check with the building department in your town, they may have your plans on file.

Jun 18, 2009, 09:44 AM

OK thank you very much I think I will check with the building department in my town.

Jun 19, 2009, 11:50 AM

creahands

If u have an attic, the floor beams will overlap at wall below. This is a load bearing wall. What do you mean by overlap other stud siting on top of the beams. Lillian

Jun 19, 2009, 11:50 AM
    ballengerb1

I did add extra Studs across and Next to the other stud that I left I added More studs .Lillian

Jun 19, 2009, 02:45 PM

Can you draw a picture or show a photo of this?

Jun 19, 2009, 03:50 PM

Let me no if you could see the picture

Jun 19, 2009, 04:07 PM

This is the opening picture by LillianDesmond - Photobucket

Jun 19, 2009, 07:32 PM

Nope, sorry. Scan your pic or drawing into your computer. The below the box where you post an answer click on Go Advanced, then drop down to manage attachments and click
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2009, 01:09 AM

Framing lumber comes in lengths starting at 8' and increase by 2'. IE 8, 10, 12, 14, 16.

example
    IF house is 24' wide, then 14 foot beams would be used. They would overlap at wall in middle of house.

If standing in attic above wall, looking down, u will see floor beams . Below floor beam will be a 2x4. This is the plate at top of wall. If floor beam length ends near this 2x4, the 2x4 is supporting that floor beam. That is a bearing wall.

Chuck
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2009, 01:24 AM

From picture, can not tell if bearing wall.

If it is, u will need a header supported by 2 jack studs on each side. The header would be made with 2 2x10's nailed together. The header with seat on top of jack studs.

Chuck

Jun 20, 2009, 02:57 AM
    [IMG][/IMG]

Jun 20, 2009, 03:00 AM

Ok we cut the middle then we made small closet on the side and we are making an arcway.

Jun 20, 2009, 03:50 AM
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2009, 06:27 AM

Do u have a basement or attic u can get in?

Chuck

Jun 20, 2009, 08:43 AM

Chuck,

The attic was converted into two bedroom and a bathroom it has some small cross space.and yes we have a basement. Lillian
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2009, 04:48 PM

Lillian

In the basement, measure from outside wall to girder. The girder will be located about in middle.

Go upstairs and measure from same outside wall. If measurement is same or within a couple of inches of measurement in basement, that would be a bearing wall.

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Load bearing walls [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 29 foot load bearing wall. I am going to leave 4 ft. then tear down a 7ft section and then will have 18 ft still standing. Will the wall still stand or do I need to support it somehow? Thanks for taking the time to help out.

Windows in Load bearing walls [ 1 Answers ]

I have a load bearing wall with a door and a picture window in it. I would like to remove the window and the door, can this be done without too much trouble?? Also, if I can remove the window, what about the space below the window to the floor, can it be safely removed also?

Load Bearing Walls [ 1 Answers ]

I am confused about what are the joist and not the joists in my basement. It is a 100 year old house. I have one main bean that runs front to back (supported by columns- the kind with a large cement bottom you might see when building a deck, the term is escaping me at this moment- in basement)...

Max pipe size in load bearing walls [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2" line stubbed for a drain in an area of a 15' basement that will be framed 8' high with the rest used for storage above. Are these walls now considered load bearing? What's the maximum size pipe I can run through a load bearing 2x4 wall assuming I'm using a protective plate.

Load bearing walls [ 1 Answers ]

When replacing a load bearing wall what size lumber do I need to support a second story floor when the opening is 16ft. This wall is in the center of the house which is 24ft wide

View more questions Search