Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Smurflilly Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2009, 02:39 PM

Chuck,
    I measure basement gave me 12 ft and from and my room from where the opening to the window gave me 13ft and up stairs gave me 13 ft so it a load Bearing wall right
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2009, 11:39 PM

That it is. U need a header to support the ceiling beams. Put up temporary wall until after header is installed.

Header should be double 2 x 10 supported by 2 jack studs on each side. Make header 7'' longer than opening.

The jack studs can be put inside existing wall and made flush to wall for closets.

Good luck

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Load bearing walls [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 29 foot load bearing wall. I am going to leave 4 ft. then tear down a 7ft section and then will have 18 ft still standing. Will the wall still stand or do I need to support it somehow? Thanks for taking the time to help out.

Windows in Load bearing walls [ 1 Answers ]

I have a load bearing wall with a door and a picture window in it. I would like to remove the window and the door, can this be done without too much trouble?? Also, if I can remove the window, what about the space below the window to the floor, can it be safely removed also?

Load Bearing Walls [ 1 Answers ]

I am confused about what are the joist and not the joists in my basement. It is a 100 year old house. I have one main bean that runs front to back (supported by columns- the kind with a large cement bottom you might see when building a deck, the term is escaping me at this moment- in basement)...

Max pipe size in load bearing walls [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2" line stubbed for a drain in an area of a 15' basement that will be framed 8' high with the rest used for storage above. Are these walls now considered load bearing? What's the maximum size pipe I can run through a load bearing 2x4 wall assuming I'm using a protective plate.

Load bearing walls [ 1 Answers ]

When replacing a load bearing wall what size lumber do I need to support a second story floor when the opening is 16ft. This wall is in the center of the house which is 24ft wide

View more questions Search