Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chbvin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2006, 01:12 PM
    Neighbor Harassment
    In a case of credit card debt, when the account has gone to a collection agency, is it legal for them to call the owner of the account's neighbors and discuss the account,etc. with them,on the pretense of being unable to make contact? If not, who can this be reported to?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2006, 01:25 PM
    No it is not. That would be a violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.

They CAN, though, call a neighbor to ask questions about you.

Report violations of the FDCPA to the FTC and your State Attorney General.

... but before you do, talk to a manager at the collection agency and tell them of the violation and offer to be mum about it if they'll pay the bill for you. I've seen it work!
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Oct 11, 2006, 01:50 PM
    If you have a need to contact the neighbor about some one's else debt... let stop now... you have valid their right to privacy... to collect a debt there is the courts or continued telephone calls... in order to make arrangements... you will be harassing the debtor...

Now there are certain laws in each about debt collection... for instance, no automatic calling in the state of Texas... no calling of names by the collector... more then three calls a day is considered harassment... if there are problems associated with this then contact the Department of Consumer Affairs in your state and the Attorney General Office for further information...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Annoying Neighbor! [ 7 Answers ]

I need some advice!! We are new in our neighborhood, and we have become social with our neighbors behind us. However she has become a burden. There are times she is in our back yard raking up leaves and pulling weeds and I can't even work in my garden without her coming out of the house and...

Crazy neighbor [ 33 Answers ]

I have lived in my house for 14 years, quietly with my husband, no kids. About 5 years ago a new neighbor moved in. We tried to be nice at first, but then heard them talking about us, so we kept our distance. Now the teenage girl is accusing me of watching her through my windows, and of being...

Is your neighbor a criminal? [ 36 Answers ]

Hello: Do you think the government has any clue about what it does?? Recently, the state of Washington made playing online poker a felony. Yup – a class C felony, just like sex offenders. Now, I would like you to think about this for a minute. Here we have, let's say 1,000 ordinary...

Sexual harassment [ 21 Answers ]

I have the following question. There was a VOLUNTARY christmas party for the employees of the store I work at and we were not on the timeclock as attendees. One of the supervisors got drunk, and while joking put his hand on the knee of one of the girls he surpervises. He has now been put on a...

Harassment and property dispute [ 3 Answers ]

My friend is in an odd situation with the county and her neighbors. The neighbor is trying to force her and her husband to allow him easement where he wants it. In order to do this he has caused the county (the judge who signed the papers denies it now, saying it is a forgery) to say their driveway...

View more questions Search