Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ttmartin316 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2006, 12:13 PM
    Waiving paternal rights
    My Ex girlfriend from 5 years ago who has been married and has 2 kids is fighting with her husband because he believes the oldest son (5 years old) is not his. There is talk around town that she thinks the oldest is mine. Doing the calculations of our relationship I do not believe he could be mine and she had cheated on me with at least 2 men before we broke up. Since I have never seen this child and nothing was said for the past 5 years, if a paternity test is taked and the child is mine do I have recourse to waive my rights? The child is 5 years old and has been calling her husband "daddy" this whole time. The husband is also who signed the child's birth certificate. I don't want to ruin this child's world and confuse him. Please help!
    The WB Posts: 78, Reputation: 6

Oct 11, 2006, 12:45 PM
    I don't think you have too much to worry about if his name is on the because and they're married. He has already accepted the responsibility. He would have to request a paternity test to prove he isn't the father. Then they would have to go to court, if he wanted to, to have his responsibilities removed. That isn't easy at all, especially if his name is on the because.
    If he is able to do that, then she would have to, somehow, get you to take a paternity test.
    You don't have any rights to waive yet.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 11, 2006, 01:13 PM
    Even if you give up parental rights it doesn't absolve you of financial responsibility.

At this point, a peternity test would have to done to ascertain whehter you are the father or not. Unless you are forced to do one, don't.
    dbek Posts: 74, Reputation: 4

Nov 17, 2006, 10:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ttmartin316
    My Ex girlfriend from 5 years ago who has been married and has 2 kids is fighting with her husband because he believes the oldest son (5 years old) is not his. There is talk around town that she thinks the oldest is mine. Doing the calculations of our relationship I do not believe he could be mine and she had cheated on me with at least 2 men before we broke up. Since I have never seen this child and nothing was said for the past 5 years, if a paternity test is taked and the child is mine do I have recourse to waive my rights? The child is 5 years old and has been calling her husband "daddy" this whole time. The husband is also who signed the child's birth certificate. I dont want to ruin this childs world and confuse him. Please help!
    I really think you should rethink relinquishing your parential rights. It's a decision you'll have to leave with the rest of your life. What if things don't work out for her and her husband. You still could be obligated by the courts to support the child even if you give up your rights. Also, think about what the child will go threw having his father give him up. Not judging you, just want you to think about it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grandma's Rights [ 4 Answers ]

I'm hoping I can get some good advice from some of you out there. Here goes.... My 21 year old son has been living with his girlfriend (we'll call "Julie") for 2 ½ years now. In Oct., 2004 they had a little girl named Alannah. Things have been really "Rocky" with them since they moved in...

As an aunt do I rights to sue DCFS for vistation rights to see my niece? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi My name is Rosalyn. I have a 12 year old niece that I just adore. Unfortunately she is in foster care with Illinois's DCFS going on 6 years. My sister, my nieces mom is mentally Ill. Her father was in jail for 10 years (my niece was 2 when he was sentence). Now that he is out jail and a witness...

Paternal Rights [ 4 Answers ]

I fathered a child with someone. (Yes, I know it was foolish.) My problem is that the mother has turned this in to a power struggle. We have agreed that in this situation an adoption is the best thing for the child. The mother does not want me involved in any way. She wants me to sign over my...

Squatter's Rights [ 8 Answers ]

I moved into a house almost 4 yrs ago. My boyfriend and I had broken up and then got back together 5 months after I got my own place. We decided that he would pay the rent and I would pay my Car Payments, the phone, electric and internet bill, and Car Insurance on both of our vehicles. Now I want...

Advice on paternal rights... [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a U.S. Marine stationed in N.C. My wife and I have been separated and my lawyer has now filed the divorce paperwork with the courts. I recently found out that our 14 month old is not mine. No question about it, he is not mine. Our divorce was uncontested until now (I think). She wants me...

View more questions Search