Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    needfaith Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2009, 01:24 PM
    Looking for Faith
    A few years ago, my husband (who was raised Presbyterian) and I started going to a local Methodist church. I was not raised in a religious home and have no real background with any religion. I've had a lot of great conversations with my husband's grandmother, who is a Christian and I feel that it is right and I have come to believe many of things she has told me.

The problem is that I didn't really get much from the church we were attending and my toddler acted up so much in church I ultimately stopped going because it was too stressful to keep an eye on my son and try to hear what was going on.

So my question is - where do I start? I want to have a relationship with God, but I don't know how to begin. Sometimes I feel the need to pray, but don't know how. I would like to go to church and learn more, but don't even know how to choose one.
    sndbay Posts: 1,447, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2009, 02:03 PM

The link offers a daily lesson from the list to download, and open your bible to listen to the teaching.

If you find it interested and easy to understand... God will guard you in HIS way.

Welcome to Shepherd's Chapel - Archived Audio Files

`In Christ
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 17, 2009, 02:09 PM

Prayer is a conversation with God. You won't always hear His voice at first, but, as you pray more and more, you will. I have a running conversation with Him as I wash dishes, drive to and from work, weed my garden. You don't have to be formal or flowery or "correct." Just tell Him what is in your heart.

Most churches have a nursery that is staffed during services. Until your son can sit better, that might be what you need, so you can get full value from each service. Taking a class in learning about the different sections of the church service is neat, because then you know why the congregation does what it does when it does and why the minister says what he says when he says it. Another neat study is learning about the church year and why different colors are used on the altar, why the candles, why flowers on the altar, what the symbols in the sanctuary mean, the explanation of any stained glass windows, etc.

If I were you, I'd visit several churches in the area -- Baptist, Lutheran, Catholic, charismatic, and even get adventurous by visiting a Christian Science church and maybe a Jewish synagogue. Where are you most comfortable? Which ones(s) has the most opportunities for spiritual growth and learning about the Bible and the church body itself? What social facilities does it have and social activities does it sponsor? Do you like the people who attend -- standoffish or friendly or pushy or what? What is the age range of those attending -- mostly young people, lots of senior citizens, a big range of ages? Is the parking lot in good shape? What about the building(s)? Is it clean and well cared for?
    revdrgade Posts: 162, Reputation: 37

Jun 17, 2009, 03:07 PM
    God has made many promises about the rewards for you who seek Him.

First off He says that you WILL find Him. The place to start is with "prayer", that is, tell Him what's on your heart. I hear you saying that you want to know Him enough to trust Him - that's "Faith". And you want to know what is the real truth about Him. And that you need some help in taking care of your son while you are learning about Him.

Be in a hurry to visit churches, but don't be in a hurry to join one until you know what each one is all about.

Things to look for: One that talks about God more than about rules, politics, being nice, or raising funds. One that shows real love for each other and enough love for you to have a good nursery for your son and assistance in enrolling him during the worship and teaching services. One that has Bible classes in people's homes as well as the church building.

All this usually means a larger church group (large enough to have a nursery and a number of Bible classes which would invite you to join them).

It's not a sure thing any more, but you might also start with a number of the well known historical Christian denominations... as another "expert" has already written... like Lutheran, Episcopal, etc.

But do not cease to ask for God to help you in all times of seeking. He loves you more than others can and He has great power to do things which will make you happy to be His child.

Ps 24:5-6
    5 He will receive blessing from the Lord
    And vindication from God his Savior.
    6 Such is the generation of those who seek him ,
    Who seek your face, O God of Jacob.

Ac 17:26-28
    27 God did this so that men would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us. 28'For in him we live and move and have our being.'

Heb 11:5-6
    6 And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him .

Mt 7:7-8
    7 "Ask and it will be given to you ; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you . 8 For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.
    ALL PASSAGE FROM THE "NEW INTERNATIONAL BIBLE" TRANSLATION
    homesell Posts: 244, Reputation: 43

Jun 18, 2009, 09:21 AM

Many churches nowadays have a daycare area for toddlers and Sunday school or its equivalent for older children. Go where the word of God is preached. You won't know if it's the word of God unless you are familiar with the word of God so get yourself a modern translation that's easy to read and read it. For prayer, the answer above is correct about just talking with God as you would a person and sharing your thoughts and feelings with Him. Also, reading the psalms are quite uplifting as you'll see that there is prayer when in all kinds of moods. Your life will change when you know for certain that you have been born again, filled with the Holy Spirit, and are certain of your salvation.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2009, 01:09 PM

Personally I get the most out of Assembly of God churches.

To pray you just talk to God like you would a friend that you are pouring your heart out to.
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2009, 11:03 PM
    needfaith,
    You have had some very good help and advice so far and I highly recommend that you do attend several different Christian faiths and various Churches in each of those faiths.
    Learn the Lords Prayer. It is instructive on one way to pray. There are several steps.
    First addressing God with "Our Father who art in heaven" then praising God with " hollowed by thy name" then general petitions "Thy Kingdom come. Thy will be done of earth as it is in heaven" then personal petitions, "give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses and we forgive those who trespass against us" and "lead us not into temptation and deliver us from evil".
    Note that with that prayer we are praying not only for ourselves but for others as well with the many uses f the word "us".
    A very comfortable way for may people to pray is to have a conversation with God, opening up to Him and discussing your life, problems, and events with Him.
    At first it will appear to be one sided with you being the one side, but keep in mind that God hears all prayers. He is a great listener; the best there is.
    After a while as you pause you will being to hear in you mind's ear Him quietly speaking to you in a kind of whisper that seems as though He is forming your thpughts.
    Also keep in mind that God answers prayer in several ways.
    1. Yes
    2. No
    3. Maybe,
    And
    4. You've got to be kidding.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred (arcura)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 18, 2009, 11:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by arcura View Post
    Also keep in mind that God answers prayer in several ways.
    1. Yes
    2. No
    3. Maybe,
    and
    4. You've got to be kidding.
    What about "Wait"?
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2009, 09:21 PM
    Wondergirl,
    Yes, wait may be one of God's answers.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 19, 2009, 09:45 PM

I guess I will have to disagree slightly as to what to look for, when I saw things like builiding and parking lot.

Some of the best spirit filed people who I think were the closest to Christ were often in some of the most run down buildings. ( Christ never had really great parking lots)
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2009, 10:49 PM
    Fr_Chuck,
    Thanks,
    Fred
    Maggie 3 Posts: 262, Reputation: 41

Jun 23, 2009, 09:30 PM
    "Faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the Word of God". Romans 10:17
    God speaks to us thought the Bible, it is His word talking to us. Get a bible that
    Is easy to read and easy to understand. There are many bibles out there so make
    Sure you can read and understand the wording. I suggest you get the Living Bible.
    Matthew 6:5 Jesus teaches us about prayer. Matthew is a good book to start with
    Getting to knowing God. Go to a church that teaches the bible, Gods Word.
    There are good christian radio and Tv stations or programs that you can listen to and learn about God and His Word.

It is good to go to church and be with other chiristians and fellowship
    With them.

Blessings, MAGGIE 3
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2009, 10:09 PM
    MAGGIE 3,
    Very good answer.
    The more exposure to God's word and other good Christians is an excellent path to follow on one's trek to faith.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    gabriela_dc Posts: 17, Reputation: 6

Jun 23, 2009, 10:31 PM

Oh geez.This is a tough one Im not a lot of help on this I know where you're at but hey you can start building your personal relationship with god all religions aside.You don't need to know hoe to pray that comes from you.just let him know how you feel.
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2009, 11:02 PM
    gabriela_dc,
    As I mentioned before being exposed too much of God's word and other good Chrisitians is a great way to build ones faith.
    In fact that is the best and most effective way.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred.
    sndbay Posts: 1,447, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2009, 05:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gabriela_dc View Post
    just let him know how you feel.
    Because it is God that reveals all to us, as Christ told the disciple Peter.

You are correct in saying let God know what your heart, and mind feels for HIM. It is God that created us, and if we are willing to be all He created us to be, we are blessed in HIS strength to guide us in HIS way.

13 times in scripture the Word says "stand still"..(meaning abide, stedfast or sustain to doing nothing yet listen to God. believe, trust)
    I find Job the better example in this, because it was Job that was told not to listen to those who gossip, and cause confusion. Job 38 tells how many will counsel in words without knowledge. And God wants us to remember that it was He that laid the foundations of the earth. God sustains us, and even in wrong doing it is HIS mercy that will lead us from temptation, if we listen to follow HIM. We should do HIS will, and leave the darkness of sin.

Job 37:14 Hearken unto this, O Job: stand still, and consider the wondrous works of God.

Put God above all else...
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2009, 09:08 PM
    sndbay,
    Very good advice.
    Fred

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Have a little faith in me [ 6 Answers ]

We keep getting into fights! Last night kept escalating until we broke up and then Decided to salvage what we had! I am always depressed and I don't know why? I never have faith in the Fact that he cares (we are long distance) and I never seem to be able Just to "have fun." He doesn't know...

Faith [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I'm new to this and I hope that I can get answers to some questions that I have and hope that I can answer some for you.

A pic of Faith [ 3 Answers ]

Here guys and gals Some of you wanted to see me. Here I am. I know a few people out there don't like me so they can really pick on my flaws ;)

Faith [ 7 Answers ]

Does anyone have any advice on having faith? Faith to make it through a rough time? Faith that all will be well in the end? A scripture? Kind words? Anything? How do you cope? Please.

Bad faith [ 7 Answers ]

How do you handle a contract where you are a independent contracter for 3 years in which the people in the contract are supposed to have you on there insurance for those three years. And I paid a surcharge every day for those three years for the insurance then after a accident I found out I was...

View more questions Search