Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Laura Dougherty Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2006, 11:03 AM
    Life Insurance Proceeds vs Debt
    My mother recently passed away and left approx. $3,000. In life insurance. This amount was used to cover her final expenses which totaled $5,700. The remainder was paid by me. Was I under any obligation to pay her remaining credit card debt first out of the proceeds ? Or was I legally entitled to use all of the money to pay her final expenses. My mother had no other assets.. there is no "estate".. . she was in a nursing home which was paid for by medicare and medicade. Also, I reside in New Jersey if that is relevant. Thank you
    The WB Posts: 78, Reputation: 6

Oct 11, 2006, 12:03 PM
    I'm not sure, but that does not sound right. I don't see how the credit card company would even know that she passed unless you told them. In that case, all they should have to know is that she passed. I don't think that they would know about the policy unless you told them.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 11, 2006, 12:31 PM
    If you were the beneficiary of that policy then it was outside her estate and you could do with it as you wished.

The nursing home or you should be sending back any bills unopened with RETURN TO SENDER, ADDRESSEE DECEASED marked on the envelope.
    Laura Dougherty Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2006, 02:57 AM
    Thanks Scott, I will let the credit card companies know she is deceased now. I just didn't want to say anything until I was sure they had no claim to the insurance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need Life Insurance Help [ 9 Answers ]

I Need Help Understanding All The Different Types Of Life Insureance. Where Can I Find Decent Rates For Being A 36 Year Old Male. The Quotes I Have Received Seem Off The Wall Compared To The Rates My Co-workers Pay.

Motgage Insurance vs. Life Insurance [ 6 Answers ]

Hi-- I just bought a new house and am getting solicitations for mortgage insurance if I kick the bucket. I don't want my wife to have to be burdened by mortgage debt. Had thought about getting term life insurance to cover the mortgage amount, what's the better approach??

Life Insurance Trustee [ 1 Answers ]

My fiancée has several debts that are being satisfied with her income tax refunds. However, certain debts have priority in being intercepted and we would like to have more control on which debts to satisfy. Her elderly dad has a life insurance policy naming her as beneficiary. We fear that when...

Bankruptcy and life insurance [ 5 Answers ]

I know it is a weird combo. But if you claim corporate bankruptcy and you die can they go after your personal estate? If you have signed a personal guaranty? I heard they have to leave you(if not deceased) or your estate your house and a vehicle(in fla) is this true? Last question. Can they take...

Life Insurance Trustee [ 0 Answers ]

My brother recently died and left my father as the trustee for his life insurance with his only child as the beneficiary. My father is 72 years old and the child is 15. My father wants me to handle the trust monies for him because of his age, he doesn't want the hassle. There is no will. Is there...

View more questions Search