Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nathen361 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2009, 07:30 AM
    Generator not powering right
    I have 6000w generator, and I'm getting a little bit of power form it but not the same that a got form my friends 5500w. What could be causing it not to have enough power?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 17, 2009, 07:50 AM

Are both units running at the same/correct rpms?
    mark19 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2009, 05:52 AM

Most generators have two settings on them one is the start up setting the other is the gov setting or the load setting. Check your voltage at start up. Increase you idle adjustment if needed. Then plug in something that will pull a load and then adjust gov setting to the proper speed to maintain proper voltage.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Jun 20, 2009, 06:58 AM

Hi,
    Some generators have an idle-down feature when no power is drawn. If this is present you must "load" the machine to rev it up and check then.
    Some generator ar brushless and some have brushes. One with brushes is less expensive to manufacture but a brush can stick, often in a heat-damaged brush holder.
    A brushless version uses a bridge rectifier to provide the power to the receptacles and to the generator field that in turn creates that power. So in essence the generator extracts a small amount of potential to enable it to create a greater amount of power. Damge to thid circuitry would be suspect in this case.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    honestwelsh Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2009, 01:58 PM
    With respect, it sounds as though the rectifyer is faulty in the alternater that generates the power,this is a part you can replace yourself, write down the make and model number and go online for the replacement part, good luck, honestwelsh

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Monitor not powering on [ 4 Answers ]

I have an 2 year old (just out of warranty of course!) HP vs17d that isn't getting any power. I tried changing the power cord and using a different plug but it still wouldn't power up. I plugged a functioning monitor into the computer using the same cord and plug and it worked fine, so I know...

Powering house with a generator [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to power a portion of my house with a generator is that possible and what do I need to do to accomplish this in case of a power failure

Powering on TV [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Panasonic HDTVMonitor,model CT-36HL42C.the power is not coming on with the TV botton itself or with the remote control, both sound and picture are fine when TV powers up, can you tell me the problem parts and cost of fix ?

Powering Off Problem [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I was having some problems that resulted in my computer automatically re-starting at every startup. It would get as far as almost completely having finished and then re-start at which XP would do its diognostic and 'fix' various things and then start. I looked at the syatem error log and...

View more questions Search