Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    freeindeed Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2009, 06:50 PM
    4x6 floor joists 48" on center need stiffened
    I have a home with 2x6 floor joists 48" on center and 1" plywood supported by concrete and 4x6 pillars spaced 6 feet apart. I am installing stone (marble) floors in two bathrooms which should meet L/720 deflection requirements. Is it possible the National Building Code in 1972 allowed 2x6 floor joists 48" on center? What should I do to improve my subfloors for the stone? Thanks
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 16, 2009, 08:29 PM

No code that I recall in 61 years called for 48" OC joists. I am sure I could help but I think you actually need a structural engineer to evaluate your home or maybe an architect.
    Bljack Posts: 245, Reputation: 28

Jun 17, 2009, 09:59 AM
    You can verify this with an acrhitect or engineer, but if you install 2x6's perpendicular to the 2x6's you currently have, the 4' span would be well over the L/720 deflection, bringing you up to around 850. My concern would be the bearing strength of the 2x6's spanning th 6' distance. While you might be OK, you would definitely be OK if you sistered 2x6's along side each of the original 2x6's that you have there now. After that, no problem. I normally see posts about framing like this from folks in the northern reaches of CA to the pacific NW. They also normally have 2x6 t-g planking across the framing and most often the beams are 4x6, not 2x6.

The changes I suggested effectively turn your joist system 90 degrees and place them 16" oc. Underlayemnt rated plywood, oriented so that the long edge crosses the joists, not the 2x6 beams, overlayed upon your existing subfloor, using no less than 1/2", screwed only to the subfloor and not the joists, then install your cement board or membrane. If your 1" of plywood is multiple layers, post back. It might change the prepe ou need or cahnge the suggested thickness of underlayment. For example, if you have 1/4" ply over 3/4", then the 1/4" must go. No 1/4" ply under ceramic or stone, ever. That would change you to needing 3/4" underlayment.

Once you change the direction of the joists by adding the sisters and installing the 2x6's, since you've changed the existing plywood subfloor to being oriented in the wrong direction.
    jon123 Posts: 240, Reputation: 3

Jun 17, 2009, 04:28 PM

you should easily cut out and remove the one inch sub with 4 oc and replace with at least 2x10s 16oc all you would need is 3/4 or just use that 1 in.ply and screw hardibacker

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet 9" center on slab going to 12" center - HOW [ 4 Answers ]

I took out an American Standard toilet with a 9 inch from the wall center. I want to install A 12 inch from the wall Toto water saving toilet. I am working on a slab (no basement). Is there an adaptor I can use? If so do I have to raise the toilet to make room for the adapter? OR is there...

3" Drain through Floor Joists [ 6 Answers ]

I've asked these elsewhere, but I think it got buried with another question. For a new addition on our home, we are contemplating ways to tie a 3" drain into our main stack. The easiest and cleanest option is to run the drain through the floor joists. The joists are 2x12, 16" OC, spanning...

Floor joists [ 4 Answers ]

Our kitchen floor is sagging in places from 1/4" to 1/2". Is there a way to determine about how long it took for this to happen? Could the joists sag this much since September, 2007?

Spongy floor joists causing sagging floor [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. In front of my fireplace there is a small tiled area. This is surrounded by hardwood which runs throughout the living room. The floor on the sides of the tile has dropped slightly below the level of the tile (about 1/8" or so). The wood floor around the tiles is also a bit spongy when...

Proper underlayment for vinyl floor starting at floor joists [ 2 Answers ]

What is the proper way to build up a floor to prepare for vinyl flooring? I'm building a mud-room in the garage attached to the house, 5' by 13' . Presently I have the joists installed and am ready for subfloor. I am planning to use 3/4" T&G UDL plywood, glued to joists with construction...

View more questions Search