Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ksdegraff Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2009, 02:43 PM
    Correctional grade plumbing how different from commercial plumbing or residential
    Just need a little information about the difference to answer a questioner .
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 16, 2009, 03:02 PM
    Hi Ksdregraff:

The biggest difference is going to be that none of the pipes or shutoffs can be exposed to the prisoners.

At the one prison I worked on in Maine all fixtures were stainless steel... no sharp edges or ways to access the pipes. I believe most of the fixtures also bolted through the back of the wall, so that the prisoners couldn't unbolt them even if they found a way to get the tools made or snuck in... ;)

If I remember correctly some of the correctional facilities are even using their own specific pipe types... but I haven't worked with it so cannot add much beyond that.

Otherwise, most of the same rules applied across the board.

Some other plumbers will be popping in/out over the next 24 hours so pop back to see what they can add.

Hope that helps some...

MARK
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 16, 2009, 03:54 PM
    Back in the 70's I worked on a crew piping a medium security prison. Like Mark says, All the plumbing was tucked away in chases. Our contract called for cast iron lead and oakum poured and caulked joints amd type "L" copper. The lavatories and toilets were stainless steel just as Mark described. Not much difference frrom putting in a commercial building or super market. The only difference being that you just knew you were not building a "happy building". I don't know, why but you would think that plumbing a prison cell would be about the same as plumbing a motel room but I always felt a little depressed doing a prison. Wonder if Marlk felt the same way. To answer the question. It makes no difference to a experienced plumber what the job is, residential, commercial or correctional, he's qualified to walk right in and complete the work. Regards, TRom
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 17, 2009, 03:47 AM
    Even though I didn't work at the prison for more than 2 weeks, yeah Tom... very depressing!

Made me glad to go home at night... made me fear getting incarcerated and reminded me how much I like hangin' around women... ;)

MARK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shifting from Residential Clients to Commercial [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently working residential cleaning jobs in my area... But I am beginning to shift my business towards commercial cleaning clients... I am a perfectionist when it comes to my work But It seems that residential clients are never pleased! No matter how much you may go out of line...

New plumbing [ 1 Answers ]

I just put in new 3/4 cpvc main supply lines to replace the old galvanized ones. We were losing water pressure more and more everyday. Well I got them all hooked up and leak free turned the water back on and BAM no water pressure at all. In the kitchen water is barely coming out, the toilet is...

Plumbing [ 1 Answers ]

We had the downstairs toilet overflow when the, right above, upstairs toilet was flushed. It was quite a lot of water. We called a plumbing service. They tried to unclogged and said they couldn't get their around the neck of the bowl. They came back the next day, the estimate was for about...

New plumbing [ 3 Answers ]

I am installing a new bathroom in my basement, I need to cut up concrete and install new waist line for toilet and shower. What is the best way do do this? Will I need a new vent line? The toilet will be within 8 ft. from the main waist line, the shower is about 1 ft. Thanks for your help, Dave

Slab on grade plumbing [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I am thinking of building a cabin with a slab-on-grade floor. My plumbing experience is pretty good for a DIYer, a cople of complete new houses, but never slab on grade. Reading over this forum, there seems to be a lot of plumbing problems in slabs. Should I reconsider the slab? If not,...

View more questions Search