Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mwagerman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2006, 07:21 AM
    Maximum wattage of an electrical product
    To Whom It May Concern,

I have been asked to design an electrical patio heater and I need to verify what is the maximum wattage that I can legally use in the USA. One source told me nothing more than 1500W. Is this true or is it another number?

Thank you for your time.

P.S. If I have the wrong category please let me know.
    bhayne Posts: 339, Reputation: 4

Oct 11, 2006, 08:12 AM
    I am understanding that you are looking for the maximum power that a 120V 15A receptacle can supply?

Simple math is 120V X 15A= 1800W for a non-contiuous load (~20min intervals). For a continuous load (80%)= 1440W.

It's not the load that is the limiting factor, it's the power supply! And remember, receptacles may be shared so the load is also shared. Voltage may also be lower so power supplied is lower. I'd use 105V instead of 120V to be safe.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What to set my thermostat temperature for maximum saving [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My thermostat's lowest temperature setting for heat is 45 degrees. (I have forced hot air with a gas furnace) When I am home, the temperature is set between 68 - 70. During the day when no one is home it is set at 45 degrees. Some people have told me that this is not good practice...

Maximum distances from the waste line vent [ 3 Answers ]

Are there generally code requirements for waste line runs in regards to how far the waste line runs from the roof vent? For example, if I convert an existing bedroom into a bathroom and the toilet is say 10 feet away from the waste line roof vent, is that going to be a problem?

Understanding maximum wattage [ 1 Answers ]

I have two floodlight fixtures on a single switched circuit. Each fixture has a pair of 150 watt bulbs for 300 watts per fixture or 600 watts on the circuit. I want to replace one of the fixtures with a fixture that has a motion detector as is commonly sold in hardware stores. Like the fixture...

Maximum wattage for light fixture [ 1 Answers ]

I just installed a new hamptom bays ceiling light fixture. It has two sockets for light bulbs and is labeled "maximum wattage 60" Does that mean a total of 60 watts between the two or 60 for each bulb.

View more questions Search