Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BlaineO Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2009, 01:19 PM
    Drywall over brick fireplace
    I have a brick fireplace in the middle of one wall with a cathedal ceiling and the bricks go all the way up. I would like to drywall 2/3rds of the brick with a recessed area in the center to install a flat screen T.V. How do I drywall over the brick to create an inset area for the T.V. How do I secure the drywall to the brick to ensure that the weight will not pull the bricks out? This is a conventional brick fireplace that burns logs and not an insert or fake gas log setup.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 16, 2009, 03:56 PM

I would install a furring strip on the brick for the drywall but the back area of the recess will need to carry the TV's weight. 3/4" plywood can be glued and anchored to the brick face, shim of needed, then cover with drywall.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2009, 03:29 AM

How deep recess for TV?

Chuck

Jun 17, 2009, 10:20 AM
    I would like an inset of about 3" to 4" with an archway on top to match the fireplace brick archway at the top of the fireplace opening.
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2009, 06:01 PM

in order to get a 4 '' recess, build 2x4 wall on front of fireplace. Sides can be made 1x2 furring as ballengerb1 said.

Extend fireplace with fire brick.

Trim around firebrick and a mantle would be nice finish.

Good luck

Chuck

Jun 18, 2009, 09:54 AM
    How do I secure the 2 x 4 frame on the front of the fireplace bricks? Isn't that a lot of weight on those bricks? I would also like to install a T.V. in the recessed area and I want to make sure the front of the fireplace will withstand the weight of the 2 x 4 frame, drywall, T.V. mount, and T.V. Do I secure the 2 x 4 frame at the top to the ceiling and then also on each side to studs in the wall? Are the bricks on the front of the fireplace just a façade, held in place with just mortar or is there any structural attachment to the frame of the house? Also, I am not sure what you mean my extending the fireplace with fire bricks. I am new at this and not familiar with how to extend the existing fireplace but I am a good learner and have done all the renovations on our house myself.

Jun 18, 2009, 10:31 AM

My first answer in post #2 was before you talked about a recess. While the face bricks are pretty much a fascia they must all remain so you can't carve out a recess into the brick. To achieve the recess you now must make a "big box" covering the entire face of the fireplace at least 4 1/2" deep. This depth will allow for you cavity plus your power wires and cabling. Before we go any further I should mention something about flat screen TVs. We have all seen what you want to build but some flat screens make a great deal of heat and will not tolerate additional heat from a fire place. Before building your dream I'd siggest that you thoroughly explore this issue with heat and TVs.

Jun 18, 2009, 11:20 AM
    I did check out the heat issue and it does not appear to be a problem if I go with LCD or LED technology. Plasma T.V.'s generate a lot of heat themselves and so that would not be a viable option. I have checked our fireplace and there is vertually no heat generated through the façade of the bricks and very little heat escapes through the front of the fireplace and up above the mantle. The new design will include a sizeable mantle that will block the majority of heat rising up to where the T.V. will be installed.

Jun 18, 2009, 12:50 PM

Good thinking, then you can build your fascade to create the 4 1/2" depth.

Jun 18, 2009, 01:51 PM
    So, how do I secure this "big box" covering the face of the fireplace? Since the bricks are just a façade, I am worried about the weight of the "big box", drywall, T.V. frame, and T.V. What about the use of "Hat Channels" to secure to the bricks and then secure the drywall to the "Hat Channels"? I believe you can get "Hat Channel" in lightweight aluminum. Wouldn't that be lighter than building a "big box" out of 2 x 4's? Would that be too much weight for the bricks to handle? I don't know if you can get "Hat Channel" with a depth of 4inches for my inset area.
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2009, 02:54 PM

At what height will the wall start.

My directions was framing from floor to ceiling. There would be no weight on fireplace brick.

Chuck

Jun 19, 2009, 09:49 AM
    Drywall will be from the mantle all the way up to the cathedral ceiling.
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2009, 12:27 AM

Could u give us a picture of fireplace? It would help with suggestions from us.

Tks

Chuck

Jun 24, 2009, 12:42 PM
    Please see attached picture.
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2009, 11:29 PM

Bolt top plate to rafter and build wall from top down.This will hold most of weight of wall.

Put 1 or 2 ties to brick to level wall. Mount ties in mortar joint. This will not damage brick in case u want to remove wall in future.

Chuck

Jun 25, 2009, 09:39 AM
    When you say "top plate", are you referring to the top piece of a wooden frame or are you talking about using Hat Channels? How should I wrap the drywall around the sides?
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2009, 11:13 AM

The 4'' side of 2x4 would be nailed to ceiling.

The studs for wall would be nailed under top plate and to a plate on top of mantle.

The new mantle would be 6'' longer then width of brick and wrap ends of brick to existing wall. (Iy appears bricks, from picture, are surface mounted on existing wall.. )

Nail furring strip to brick at existing wall from ceiling to mantle. Nail in mortar joint.

This will give u structure for sheetrock

Chuck

Jun 25, 2009, 12:17 PM
    Thank you guys! You've been a big help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cleaning Fireplace Brick [ 5 Answers ]

I have a woodburning fireplace with bricks surrounding it. We are replacing the door with a new steel door that is smaller than the one currently installed. Consequently, we will be able to see the outline of the old door because of some soot. Is there any way to clean this naturally? Our...

Drywall over brick fireplace [ 2 Answers ]

I want to cover top half of my brick fireplace with drywall, and install a 47" flatscreen TV. How can I attach the 2x4's to the brick to support the drywall and weight of TV (approx. 75 lbs). Lag screws? What's best? Thank you!

Brick fireplace [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking for info on how to make a brick fireplace smooth? How or what products do I need to make that possible without it cracking?

Refacing brick fireplace [ 1 Answers ]

Can I install stone over my brick fireplace

Drywall over a brick fireplace [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to drywall over the top half of my natural brick fireplace to update the look of the house. Can I use standard drywall, or do I need a cement board? Also, do I need to use 2x2 strips to secure to brick, then drywall to 2x2's or can I attach directly to the brick wall? Are their...

View more questions Search