Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1ruby100 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2009, 10:14 AM
    Too broke to declare bankruptcy
    I divorced an abusive man, right thing... hard life... But I have 2 kids and protecting them is #1.. But Im not Tina Turner... I lost my house to Foreclosure.. quit my job after getting beat up by a charles manson look alike at a psych ward.. and moved to sc and couldn't get a job to save my life and now want to declare bankruptcy.. but can't afford it!! But the banks got a bailout that they don't have to explain where they spent it... What is a struggling mom to do?:confused:
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2009, 01:59 PM

You can file bankruptcy yourself though it is not really recommended to do this if you don't know what you are doing. All you would have to come up with is the federal filing fee in bankruptcy court. There are do it yourself bankruptcy kits out there but you have to remember to list all of your debts - all of them - not just cherry pick. Also if you want to reaffirm a debt such as a car loan you must get the debt holder to agree to this in writing (another form to fill out). It is possible for you to do this but there are some bankruptcy attorneys now that will take payments for their fee but the filing fee cannot be waived by them and must be paid in full for the bankruptcy to be filed. Check in the yellow pages for bankruptcy attorneys and see what you can come up with.

In the meantime, get all the paperwork to all the companies you do owe together. Get the correct name of the company, the correct mailing address, your account number, their correct phone number, and the amount of debt you owe. Also, you will need the date you opened the account with that company. Once you have all that info together if you can't find an attorney willing to work with you, you will have all the necessary info compiled so you can fill out your own bankruptcy paperwork.
    1ruby100 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2009, 05:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    You can file bankruptcy yourself though it is not really recommended to do this if you don't know what you are doing. All you would have to come up with is the federal filing fee in bankruptcy court. There are do it yourself bankruptcy kits out there but you have to remember to list all of your debts - all of them - not just cherry pick. Also if you want to reaffirm a debt such as a car loan you must get the debt holder to agree to this in writing (another form to fill out). It is possible for you to do this but there are some bankruptcy attorneys now that will take payments for their fee but the filing fee cannot be waived by them and must be paid in full for the bankruptcy to be filed. Check in the yellow pages for bankruptcy attorneys and see what you can come up with.

In the meantime, get all the paperwork to all the companies you do owe together. Get the correct name of the company, the correct mailing address, your account number, their correct phone number, and the amount of debt you owe. Also, you will need the date you opened the account with that company. Once you have all that info together if you can't find an attorney willing to work with you, you will have all the necessary info compiled so you can fill out your own bankruptcy paperwork.
    Wow! Thanks for your info... Ive got a lot of work to do... I really appreciate your advice... I didn't know I could do it myself... God Bless
    askbankruptcy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2010, 10:03 AM
    You can use GOOD, even excellent options that are readily available under the law. Though, of course, none of the bankruptcy attorneys who, of course make a fortune out of the bankruptcy BUSINESS, ever tell you about. They are: 1) hire and use a good, competent, Bankruptcy Document Preparer that are expert preparers of the bankruptcy petition papers who are approved under the bankruptcy law itself to do the bankruptcy paperwork for debtors - at low, low rates. Their prices are dirt cheap; almost everyone can afford it (from $190 to $250 or so for a Chapter 7); For a great one of those companies that I know, go to: www.afford-bankruptcy.com
    Or 2) You can use a reliable and competent Debt Settlement company. (For info on an excellent one, go to: www.honestdebtreliefreviews.org
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2010, 06:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by askbankruptcy View Post
    You can use GOOD, even excellent options that are readily available under the law. Though, of course, none of the bankruptcy attorneys who, of course make a fortune out of the bankruptcy BUSINESS, ever tell you about. They are: 1) hire and use a good, competent, Bankruptcy Document Preparer that are expert preparers of the bankruptcy petition papers who are approved under the bankruptcy law itself to do the bankruptcy paperwork for debtors - at low, low rates. Their prices are dirt cheap; almost everyone can afford it (from $190 to $250 or so for a Chapter 7); For a great one of those companies that I know, go to: Making Bankruptcy Affordable for Consumers, a Constitutional Right
    or 2) You can use a reliable and competent Debt Settlement company. (For info on an excellent one, go to: Review Uncovers Best Online Debt Relief Company Amidst Scammy Ones
    Very interesting info. I used to do all the compiling and filling out of the bankruptcy forms at a law office I worked at for 7 years. It's not that hard if you have a computer software program to follow and punch in the information... but if you're using just the paper forms it can be a nightmare. The only thing attorneys are good for is to double check the information and show up at the creditor's/trustee meeting with you. If you are not afraid of going it alone and tell the truth in your finances and not play games you'll be able to do okay in this area and sail through your trustee meeting and get your bankruptcy discharge paperwork in about 2 months or less.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I declare bankruptcy? [ 5 Answers ]

Our house was auctioned off and there was enough to cover the first mortgage, but we have a second mortgage on the house and the company is threatening us. They say we have to pay the 38,000. We also owe a lot in credit card debt. Should we try bankruptcy?

I want to declare bankruptcy. [ 1 Answers ]

Will it erase all my debts or just some of them? I live in Ny state so can someone please just give me some info? Thanks!

Cannot declare Bankruptcy - what now? [ 4 Answers ]

My husband and I have about $170k in debts - we cannot afford all the payments (credit cards, auto loans, student loans, overdue taxes). We contacted a bankruptcy attorney who researched our financials and told us that based on the new regulations we are not candidates for Chapter 7 bankruptcy. My...

Declare bankruptcy? [ 2 Answers ]

Can you declare bankruptcy when you owe 20 000 and if not what do they do,how much do they make you pay per month,can you still put money aside in a bank and what do they take from you.:confused:

View more questions Search