Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    POPPABYRD Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2009, 08:06 AM
    Generator installation
    I am trying to hook up a generator to my barn. There is no main power source running to it. I bought a breaker box and ran a power chord from the generator's 240 volt lock plug to the breaker box and can not get power. The generator powers from every other source and is working fine. Why can't I get it to power the breaker box? As I said there is no power source from the power company going to the barn.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2009, 08:29 AM

Check for power out of Generator, then where it connects to panel.
    "The Generato powers FROM? Every other source, Do you mean the Generator works for other loads plugged into same Generator Receptacle?

Jun 16, 2009, 08:36 AM
    We wired the barn with electrical outlets, all from the breaker box. We then hooked the generator up, like you would if it was the power line from a meter. However there was no power to the outlets. All the breakers were on. Then we plugged a light into the other outlets on the generator and it worked fine. We also wired the outlets direct to the generator on the 120 part and it worked. Just can't get power from the main pulg to the panel.

Jun 16, 2009, 08:40 AM

Thanks for the help. We finally got an electrician to call us back and he is stopping by this afternoon. I guess ad and I will have to let the pro's get this one. We've wired before, but never a generator. Thanks again
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Jun 16, 2009, 08:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by POPPABYRD View Post
    thanks for the help. we finally got an electrician to call us back and he is stopping by this afternoon. I guess ad and i will have to let the pro's get this one. we've wired before, but never a generator. thanks again
    Smart move!! ;)

Let us know what the electrician says?? :cool:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car generator [ 1 Answers ]

Can I increase gen amp on my car, from 70 to 140?

Generator Help [ 14 Answers ]

OK, next question. I have bought a 6000 watt generator. It has four 110 outlets and one 220 "twist style" outlet. What I want to do is wire it into my house temporarily during winter power outages. I know already it will not run my entire house. We have two sets of gas logs, so heat is not an...

How big of a Generator should I get? [ 7 Answers ]

Well Hurrican season is rolling around again and this year, I am considering getting the power generator to add to my supplies. My question is this. How much power do I need to power my refrigerator and a few lights and fans? My new fridge has a 652 kWh/year power rating (from the yellow...

View more questions Search