Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2009, 08:02 AM
    Sometimes hot water isn't warm enough
    Ok, I'll start by stating that I don't know how much info I'll need to provide for you to help me so if you need more, let me know.

I have a gas water heater that's in an outside storage room. Most of the time the water temperature is fine. I think I have it set around 120. I have a toddler so I don't think I want it much higher than that. Funny thing, sometimes when I use my hot water it comes out cool/lukewarm (no matter how long I let it run). If I had to guess, sometimes it even feels "room temperature", so like around 75 degrees.

I don't know what to think because the water heater is fairly new (was installed when the house was built in 2002) and it does seem to warm up just fine sometimes. But others times, and it seems pretty randomly, I get water that's too chilly to wash dishes or bathe comfortably.

Any suggestions? :confused:

Thanks for your help!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 16, 2009, 08:23 AM

There is a plastic tube inside the heater to draw the hot water off the floor of the tank rather than catch any cold coming inside. That tube can fail and is sometimes damaged during installtion by heating a copper pipe too much and melting the dip tube. Your tube may be faulty.
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2009, 08:27 AM

So this tube failing would cause me to get hot water sometimes and sometimes not?

How do I know if this is the case?

Jun 16, 2009, 08:36 AM

It can cause fluctuating supplies of hot , then cooler water. Under the same conditions this fluctuation should be similar each time. A lot depends on if there is any other draw on your water while you are filling the tube.
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2009, 08:44 AM

That's the thing, I haven't noticed that the conditions are similar each time. It's seemed pretty random. I initially thought that maybe the outside weather was having an effect (since the heater is essentially outside - was a just a theory) but it happens regardless of the temps outside. Sometimes happens in the mornings, sometimes evenings.

But I can say for sure that water is being only used in one place at a time. So only one bath filled, or load of laundry, or load of dishes.

Jun 16, 2009, 08:52 AM

The bad dip tube can be checked by removing the incoming supply line at the top of the heater. The dip tube is immediately under the last nipple. Have you power flushed your heater in the past 6 months, were there any bits of white junk in the water?
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2009, 08:54 AM

No I've never power flushed it. How do I go about doing that? And is that something that should be done regularly?

Thanks

Jun 16, 2009, 09:00 AM

Yes, every year or every 6 months if you have minerals in your water. It is simple, just attach a garden hose to the drain spigot on the bottom of the tank. Direct the hose to waste via a floor drain, sump pump or outside, now open the spigot. Observe the water or strain it and you'll see bits or debris. White specks that easily mush between your fingers is usually bits of dip tube gone bad. Unscrew and aerator from your kitchen or bath room spigot, they may have some of the same specks.
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2009, 09:05 AM

Thanks, never knew any of this. So will the hose just screw onto the heater?

As for replacing the dip tube, is that something relatively simple that I should be able to do myself or do I need to call a professional?

Jun 16, 2009, 09:09 AM

The standard garden hose will screw directly onto that spigot, turn twist the spigot collar, hose and all, counterclockwise. The tip tube is easy to replace if you where able to remove the supply line. If the supply line removal is over your head a bit then a pro can do it or even a handyman.
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2009, 09:14 AM

I will try the power flushing this weekend and see how it goes from there!

Btw, is the dip tube a standard sized tube or would it vary based on the model of the heater?

Jun 16, 2009, 09:20 AM

Great question, I have never seen a varied size dip tube so I have always assumed they are standar. We all know what assume can do, right? I think you are safe if this is a residential 30-80 gallon heater. Come back anytime
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2009, 09:26 AM

I was just wondering because I've got to go to Home Depot today to pick up a new handle for for my shower faucet and maybe I could grab it while I'm there.

I feel another question coming on because I've been having problems with that as well... :)

Jun 16, 2009, 01:43 PM

Last time I was at HD they had them hanging in a sleeve right by the heaters. You may need to ask the clerk for help finding them.
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2009, 07:56 PM

So I went to HD this evening after work... I couldn't find the dip tubes. I walked up and down the aisle a few times and saw various other connectors, PVC piping, etc... but not these dip tubes that you speak of.

I ask a clerk (a couple clerks actually) and they looked at me like I'd just stepped out of a spaceship. They asked me a couple questions (I think to try to throw me off because that's how they treat women, in my opinion).

I repeat what it is that I'm looking for, explain the situation, repeated a few of the catch phrases and terms learned in this post, and they still looked at me like I just made this up. One customer even proceeded to butt into the conversation between me and the clerk and told me that this part was not something I could buy separately.

That being said, from what had been described here, I was confident that it'd be relatively easy to find (installing, well maybe a different story).

Sooooooo... Can you give me a better description or post a pic so that I will know exactly what I'm looking for when I go back? Or maybe I should try Lowe's next time?

THANKS!

Jun 16, 2009, 08:24 PM

Some folks at some store are fools. Becqause they do not know their store or anything about the department they should not be there. Dip tubes are replaceable as are scraficial anode rods but these guys will all tell you they can't be bought separately, fools. Go to the yellow pages and look under plumbing supply, call and ask them. They may also give your free accurate advice on installation, they are not fools.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 17, 2009, 06:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    There is a plastic tube inside the heater to draw the hot water off the floor of the tank rather than catch any cold coming inside. that tube can fail and is sometimes damaged during installtion by heating a copper pipe too much and melting the dip tube. Your tube may be faulty.
    It's seldom,( I think this is the first time) that I have to post a correction to Bobs answers. Bob's referring to the dip tube.(see image) The dip tube's a plastic tube located just under the cold water inlet. It sends cold water down to the bottom of the tank where it will be heater and raise to the top of the heater where a second element will maintain the heat. The hot water doesn't remain on the bottom. Hot water like hot air raises.
    Sorry Bob, but, truth be told, I make more mistakes then you do. Hugs all around! Tom
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2009, 06:21 AM

Thanks Tom,
    So from what I stated, do you still think it's the dip tube or do you think it may be something different?

Thanks A LOT for the picture!! That's really helpful.

Another thing the nosy customer at HD suggested was that maybe my thermostat was faulty. How does this sound to you guys here? I didn't think it was the case since it does get warm and it's a fairly new appliance.

Jun 17, 2009, 07:37 AM

No problem here Tom , I did describe the function of that dip backasswards. Should have had my second cup of joe. I'd stick with a bad dip tube but anything can happen so a bad thermostst is not impossible, just not likely.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 17, 2009, 03:34 PM
    I'm with Bob on this, The first thing I would be checking is the dip tube.
    As you can see by the image a broken dip tube will allow cold eater to remain on top tempering the hot water. You would get hot water at first followed by a spurt of cool wate. Good luck, Tomr
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Warm water from cold water taps [ 1 Answers ]

We have warm water coming out of our cold water taps for about 10 seconds. Happens in all the taps. Sometimes run out of hot water after 1 or two loads of laundry. We've had the hot water tank checked and they say the tank is fine, but it's a splitter on one of our single handle faucets. All but...

Replaced water heater, still receiving luke warm water,Why? [ 19 Answers ]

:(At first me and my husband started with replacing elements and thermostats on our current water heater, due to the fact we wasn't receiving hot water. ( It would be luke warm to cold quickly.) Didn't work. So, we purchased a new water heater and had it installed by an experienced friend of ours,...

Warm water from cold water line [ 1 Answers ]

The cold water line downstream from the water heater is siphoning water from the water heater causing the cold water to be warm when it comes out of the faucet. There is a "T" that feeds the water heater and then keeps going downstream to a few outlets. If I turn off the valve to the heater I get...

Why only warm water, not hot? [ 5 Answers ]

We just remodeled our master bathroom and had some real amateur jokers (not plumbers) do the work, They installed the new plumbing fixtures (faucets and a toilet) but now the shower does not get hot, it just gets warm. The sinks in the bathroom get quite hot but the shower does not. Also the...

View more questions Search