Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rctaylor Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2009, 07:01 AM
    Moving a business with no current lease
    I am moving my Hair Salon to another location. My 5 year lease expired 2 years ago and my landlord did not want to renew it. I have been paying rent monthly since that time. I need to know how much notice I need to give and what fixtures I am allowed to take with me. Specifically the shampoo sinks and mirrors , which I put in.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jun 16, 2009, 07:10 AM
    The first thing you have to do is carefully read your previous lease. Even though it expired when you became a month-to-month tenant, all of the terms and conditions still apply. So if your original lease had a requirement that you needed to give a specific amount of notice before moving out, that will still hold true.

After you read through for notice requirements, then read through for requirements about fixtures and improvements. Most likely the lease states that anything you installed which became "affixed" now becomes the property of the landlord. Since a sink is hooked up to the building's plumbing and can't be removed without some damage to the building, it would be considered a fixture and would have to remain. But a mirror can usually be removed so it may not be considered a fixture.

Carefully read that lease before you start moving.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Current unethical business case studies [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I need some current case studies on businesses doing unethical acts. Within the last year or two. Thanks

Can I brake my current lease of 5 years with my new landlord? [ 5 Answers ]

I am hoping that you can help me here. I have ran my business successfully for 5 years now and have recently moved into new premises (April 2008). The negotiations at the time were with our initial landlord who I was later to learn would be selling the property to another company who he deals...

Linking, but not legally, a current business to a bar [ 3 Answers ]

My family runs a billiards store and we are looking to branch out and open a pool hall/bar. Does anyone know if we can link the two businesses together by name, but legally keep the retail business safe from any lawsuits running a bar may incur?

Moving the toilet 5" from it current position [ 1 Answers ]

I am remodeling my bathroom , trying to add space by moving my toilet about 5" over bringing it closer to the exterior wall. Problem, old house, cast iron pipe and lead pipe. the exist iron pipe coming from the wall is facing diagonally with, what I think is brass connecting to the lead pipe, the...

Lease Termination Question (NJ) - 3 Room-mates on Lease , 1 Is not sure of moving out [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, We are three room-mates sharing a apartment and the lease expires Jan 31,2007. We got a notice to renew the lease last month and need to respond by the 21st of December (this month). Me and one of my other roomie wants to move out and the third roomie is still not sure of moving out. ...

View more questions Search