Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mothra1965 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2006, 04:03 AM
    My ex husband wants to stop paying child support
    Hi! I'm hoping you can give me some advice. I live in New York state. My husband and I split 12 years ago when my daughter was 6. They recently had a break down in their relationship (she's upset because he's moving to North Carolina with his girlfriend), and he's decided to take me to court to remove his child support responsibility.

He is still paying the same amount that he paid when we broke up, I never took him to court for cost of living increases because I didn't want to make things hard for him. Now, for the first time, we're headed to court. She is a part time college student and working making $10 an hour.

I can't afford a lawyer.. can you suggest someone I can talk to, or someplace I can find my legal rights? Thanks!:)
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2006, 06:01 AM
    Hello mothra:

What does your divorce decree say? Some say that his obligation is over when she reaches 18. Some say that he's responsible for support if she goes to school after 18 till she's 21.

If your decree doesn't address the issue, and it looks like yours doesn't, you'll have to show the judge why you need continued support, just like you did the first time.

I don't think this has anything to do with your legal rights. It has to do with your daughters legal rights, and whether she's entitled to continued support.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 11, 2006, 06:19 AM
    As excon said, this is governed by your divorce decree. Your ex can't stop paying just because he's had a fight with your daughter. On the other hand, I would be very surprised if the decree was open ended. It should state somewhere in the documentation how long he has to pay support for.

If he has to take you to court to stop paying then the agreement hasn't ended yet and the likelihood is that he won't be able to change it. All you need to do is show up in court and show why your daughter still needs financial support. Pointing out that you have not asked for cost of living increases will help put the judge on your side, In my opinion.

If he just stops paying, then YOU will need to take him to court depending on what the decree says.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support for child out of wedlock [ 8 Answers ]

My friend has been dating a man who is a millionaire(really) for two years. He is married and has two kids with wife. He has been financially supporting her all this time. Her role was to be available to jet set the world with him at a moments notice and of course look good and sleep with him. ...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Child support? [ 9 Answers ]

I have had this question on my mind for a while now, so I thought I would ask it and hope someone here knows the answer. Hypothetically, lets say I got this random girl at a party pregnant. Let’s say I have no interest in being a father. Could I sign away all my rights as a father and...

Evicting Adult Child not paying Rent [ 9 Answers ]

How can I throw an adult child who will not follow rules of house and just want to waste his life away?

Child support [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My husband has been divorced for 19 years, his kids are 25,23 and 21. His divorce agreement (Massachusetts) states that he pays Child support until the youngest turns 18 or is emancipated and that the support shall continue for any child not having attained the age of 22, residing with...

View more questions Search