Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jamieelaurenn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2009, 05:00 PM
    Limiting reactants
    Identify the limiting reactant, the mass of each of the substances participating in the reation, and the mass or any remaining excess reactant.

45g of iron(III) chloride pluse 65g of zinc yields zinc chloride pluse iron.
    LR______
    Iron(III) chloride______
    Zinc______
    Zinc chloride_______
    Iron_______
    Excess__________

I have no clue how to do this, I can only get to this point:

FeCl3 + Zn ---> ZnCl2 + Fe

... if it's even correct. I need HELPP!
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2009, 07:54 AM

You need a balanced equation, meaning that there should be the same number of moles of each atom or ion on both hand sides. You'll see that you have 3 Cl on the left, but only two on the right. Correct that first.

Then, find the number of moles that is present in 45g of iron(III) chloride. You do that by dividing the given mass by the relative formula mass of iron(III) chloride. Find also the number of moles of Zn present by dividing the given mass by the relative atomic mass of the Zn.

Through your equation, you'll have the ratio to which the reactants react. For example, if the ratio of moles of FeCl3 and Zn is 1:2, then you'll have one mole of FeCl3 reacting with 2 moles of Zn. If you have the number of moles of Zn greater than twice the number of moles of FeCl3, that means that the Zn is in excess and that the FeCl3 is limiting.

To find the mass of the products, multiply the number of moles of each product to their relative masses.

Hope it helped! :)

Just post back if you need more details :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Chemistry Reactants? [ 7 Answers ]

N2(g) + 3H2(g) 2NH3(g) + 100.4 kJ A yield of NH3 of approximately 98% can be obtained at 200o C and 1,000 atmospheres of pressure. What is the H in kJ of heat released per mole of NH3(g) formed? How many grams of N2 must react to form 1.7 grams of ammonia, NH3?

Products and reactants [ 1 Answers ]

What r the reactants and products of photosynthesis??

Reactants with photosynthesis [ 1 Answers ]

What are the reactants that plants use to photosynthesise?:confused:

Limiting Reactants [ 2 Answers ]

Can you tell me if I did this right Mg + I2 -> MgI2 identify the limiting reactants A) 100 atoms of Mg and 100 molecules of I2 100 atoms Mg* 1mol/6.02E32 * 24g Mg/ 1 mol =3.99E-21g Mg 100 molecules I2 * 1 mol/6.02E23 * 258g I2/ 1 mol = 4.28E-20g I2 3.99E-21g Mg * 1mol/ 24g Mg * 1mol...

What are the products of these reactants? [ 1 Answers ]

I need help ASAP! What are the products of the reaction between Magnesium Sulfate Heptahydrate + Calcium Acetate Monohydroxide Mg(SO4) 7H20 + Ca(CH3COO)2 OH

View more questions Search