Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justme005 Posts: 200, Reputation: 7

Jun 15, 2009, 04:45 PM
    Wisdom teeth!
    Hello all!

I have to get my wisdom teeth out in two weeks... all four of them at once! (im 21yrs old)I am kind of nervous! I am getting the level IV sedation which means they knock you out, more or less.

Anyway, for the pain afterwards my oral surgeron prescribed vicodin... my mom is like, 'i'm not letting you take that!' UGH! She claims that percocet is better and she will ask the doctor for that instead.

My question to all of you is.. is there a real difference between the vicodin and percocet? In relation to my wisdom teeth? I don't know. Haha

If anyone has any answers, let me know... it's much appreciated.

Justme
    Runner822 Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2009, 04:53 PM

As far as pain relief go I have found no real difference in the two. I am allergic to percocet so I always take vicodin. Don't worry about wisdom teeth extraction, I had all four removed at once and they were all impacted and full of decay and I was only in pain for a couple days. I'm sure your teeth are in much better shape then mine and your procedure will be a breeze.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2009, 04:58 PM

It's really a matter of personal preference. Some people respond better to one over the other.

Both are acetaminophen-based; percocet combined with oxycodone and vicodin with hydrocodone.

Honestly there's not a huge difference between the two but percocet has a stronger narcotic.

Personally, I prefer vicodin because in the past percocet has upset my stomach.

In regards to your pain, the doctor is probably recommending the vicodin because its narcotic isn't quite as strong as the percocet and for a relatively simple surgery like wisdom tooth extraction, it should be powerful enough to keep the pain subdued.

Either way, your doctor isn't going to give you a years supply of pills, just a few days' worth to get you over the initial hump. After the first 2 or 3 days, you should do fine to take Tylenol.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 15, 2009, 05:00 PM

Wow, they're giving out vicodin for wisdom teeth now? Times have changed.

I had all four wisdom teeth pulled at once also, all I got was tylenol three and it did the trick.

Sadly, I'm not sure what the difference between vicodin and percocet are. Wish I could help.

Good luck, buy popcorn twists, they melt in your mouth, no chewing required. ;)
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2009, 05:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Wow, they're giving out vicodin for wisdom teeth now? Times have changed.

I had all four wisdom teeth pulled at once also, all I got was tylenol three and it did the trick.
    Actually, Tylenol 3 is another narcotic; acetaminophen combined with codeine and caffeine. (Codeine is a derivative of morphine.)

Tylenol 3 is a bit stronger than vicodin; percocet still the strongest.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 15, 2009, 05:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nikosmom View Post
    Actually, Tylenol 3 is another narcotic; acetaminophen combined with codeine and caffeine. (Codeine is a derivative of morphine.)

Tylenol 3 is a bit stronger than vicodin; percocet still the strongest.
    Wow, didn't know that.

Great info NM.
    Amir1981 Posts: 246, Reputation: 6

Jun 15, 2009, 09:43 PM

Its basically the same thing dude, percocet will be a little stronger. Either way you will be in lala land. Maybe your mom is mad because Vicoden has a bad rep due to stories of abuse in the media. If it is a surgical extraction you'll need Tylenol 3 at least. If it will make your mommy happy, ask the surgeon for percs or T3, he probably won't mind. Always keep your mom happy, she changed your diapers!
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2009, 05:30 AM

I know a lot of DDS's prescribe T3's for post surgical pain relief but very few ever need to use them. I'd suggest you not get the prescription filled unless you need it. Wait until the freezing comes out, sometimes extra strength Advil will be all that is needed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My wisdom teeth haven't come in yet [ 7 Answers ]

Hi! I was just wondering, by what age do your wisdom teeth usually come in? I'm not worried about it or anything, just curious. I'm 23 and mine haven't started to come in at all, but some of my friends have already had to have theirs pulled. What about people on here? What age were you when...

Five wisdom teeth. [ 8 Answers ]

So, I've needed my wisdom teeth out for a little while now. I have five wisdome teeth but none of them have erupted yet. My face swells up sometimes and I can't eat.. they cause a lot of pain. Not all the time though. They just act up at times. I've lost my insurance now and the dentist had told me...

Wisdom Teeth [ 14 Answers ]

My son had his 4 wisdom teeth and 4 back molars removed yesterday. He has kept the gause on nad changed as needed. He has now put the tea bags on the spot since it is still bleeding. Is this normal? Should he put the gause back in? I do not want him to get dry sockets as I have heard that this...

Wisdom teeth [ 10 Answers ]

All four of my wisdom teeth are coming out together. Uper left one doesn't hurt at all but coming out in a wrong direction, lower left one is perfectly fine so far. The problem is with the right side, there is not enough space for the teeth to come out, uppor or lower part, the pain started couple...

Wisdom teeth [ 3 Answers ]

:-[ Help me, I am 17 and I think I am dying. My mom says that I am getting my wisdom teeth in. My left side of my mouth is slightly swollen and very sensitive. There is a part of my cheek or gums (or something) that is irritated and swollen OVER my back molars. Am I really getting my wisdom...

View more questions Search