Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    michim Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2009, 06:00 AM
    Abandoned child?
    My son is six years old and has no idea who his bio. Father is. The bio. Dad won't pay child support and is bucking the system to get away with it. My husband, the only dad my son knows would like to adopt. How long do I have to wait before my son is consider abandoned? I've heard this is the easiest way.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jun 15, 2009, 07:40 AM

Until he is 18, generally. Abandonment is not what most people think it is.

Get the biological father's voluntary relinquishment of parental rights, so that your husband can adopt. Many times, if they are bucking the system to get out of child support, they'll happily take adoption by someone else in order to get out of paying for a child they're not interested in anyway.
    michim Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2009, 08:31 AM
    Thank you but he won't do, even to get out of owing support because he feels he can use it as a way to control me. He's a control freak.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jun 15, 2009, 10:46 AM

You need to get a lawyer.

It's very unlikely that you will be able to make the biological father relinquish his rights involuntarily. However, state laws vary on what you can and cannot do in these situations. In order to have ANY chance, you'll need a lawyer, and a good one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

We want to adopt an abandoned child [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I live in Philadelphia. We took in a 12 year old girl whose mother asked us to babysit and never came back. Her mother did not have custody, her grandmother did, but she was in the hospital. Grandmother signed guardianship papers allowing us to enroll her in school. That was 17...

Paying Child Support to mom who abandoned child [ 5 Answers ]

I'll try to be brief... My 17 year old daughter chose to live with her mom 100% of the time a year and a half ago. My ex drug me through the court system fighting for an increase in my child suport even though I was still paying her (through automatic deduction from my pay check) for my daughter...

Ex abandoned his child and I and now wants something to do with her. [ 2 Answers ]

I was never married to my ex, but we had a child together. While I was pregnant he never wanted me there and kicked me and the baby out when she was 6 weeks old. He didn't talk to us until she was ten months old. He decided then that he wanted something to do with her, after I filed for support...

My ex abandoned us and now he wants to have sometime to do with our child. [ 2 Answers ]

I was never married to my ex, but we had a child together. While I was pregnant he never wanted me there and kicked me and the baby out when she was 6 weeks old. He didn't talk to us until she was ten months old. He decided then that he wanted something to do with her, after I filed for support...

Child abandoned by mother [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: :mad: A great friend of mine really needs some help... him and his girlfriend have a four year old son. They r going through a break up and she has made several comments about leaving and not taking her son with her! How long does she have to be out of contact before the father can...

View more questions Search