Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Flashman2 Posts: 50, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2009, 11:08 PM
    Details of downloads
    My ISP says it can't provide me with the sites I downloaded from or the time taken to download. This seems to be the same with other providers. But they can tell you how much you have downloaded and how much that will cost, so why can't they list the site,date and time like they do with mobile phones ? Any clues ?
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jun 15, 2009, 01:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Flashman2 View Post
    so why can't they list the site,date and time like they do with mobile phones ?
    Any local privacy laws aside, they could, IF they wanted to. Vote with your dollars.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2009, 02:24 AM
    I know of no ISP that offers that detail to their customers. It would be a nightmare to implement (extremely voluminous lists) and an effort and expense they do not need to do.

Jun 15, 2009, 02:48 AM
    Thanks for the quick response. But surely it's not rocket science. They get millions of mobile transactions and can supply the exact details. The existing system is leaving it open to abuse. What other organization can get away with sending you a bill without it being itemised ?
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2009, 03:03 AM
    The ISPs are doing their job - providing internet access. They should *not* monitor where you go. That report would be thousands of lines long - what use it is?
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2009, 03:18 AM
    LOL! I must be a little stunned this morning, here's the correct answer, it just dawned on me.

Your ISP charges you a flat rate for unlimited access, your cell phone provider charges you by usage (per mb or per gb) so they have to detail your usage for billing purposes. If ever you moved to an unlimited data plan they likely wouldn't send you detailed reports.

Jun 15, 2009, 03:53 AM
    Thanks NeedKarma. I can understand what you say but would'nt it be easy just to not have plan at all and have a simple bill with Date, Site, Volume, and Price ? I appreciate your time and effort.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Details of CIA course. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi ! I want to know the detials of the course CIA, What will be the duration and fees structure and can I get any education loan form any instituion for doing this course.. I am working in E&Y..

Details regarding MBA [ 2 Answers ]

HI.. I want to know how I should apply for my masters in Aussie.I have just completed the degree.Please let me know the process of applying.:)

Details regarding MCB [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, What is difference b/w AC and DC MCBs? Can I use AC MCBs in place of DC MCBs? Regards Manoj

Mp3 downloads [ 8 Answers ]

What's the best website to download Mp3 music?

View more questions Search