Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ecsmall Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2006, 07:47 PM
    Security Deposit & Pre-Paid Rent
    Hello Everyone:

I am new to this site & need some advice & thought this would be a great avenue. Here is my dilemma:

I had been renting a condo in PA (I live in TX) for almost a year. Since I have not been able to use the unit since March, I was looking to sub-let it. I informed the owner, about 2 months ago, that I was going to do so & she told me I could not. I told her there were not any provisions in the lease that stated otherwise & if she wanted to terminate the lease early (it was to lapse Nov. 4th, 2006) then I would be OK with that.

I was able to find someone to sub-let it but in the meantime, the owner e-mailed me & said she had found another tenant & they were going to move in Sept. 25 & wanted me to have all my items out of the unit by Sept 15th. I had a crew in & everything was out by the 14th. Here is the major problem, I prepaid rent through the end of Sept. When I received a check back from the owner, she charged me for the 10 days that she had someone come in & paint & get the place ready for the next tenant. She also charged me over $450.00 for 2 door knobs that needed to be replaced, which I don't know what she is even talking about, & also she charged me to have some closet doors put back on hinges along with a charge for a mailbox key I never received. I never received an itemized bill as to what the charges were. She just made up figures.

What can I do? I am thinking I need to send a demand letter.

Any thoughts on where I go from here? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Erin
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Oct 11, 2006, 10:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ecsmall
    Hello Everyone:

I am new to this site & need some advice & thought this would be a great avenue. Here is my dilemma:

I had been renting a condo in PA (I live in TX) for almost a year. Since I have not been able to use the unit since March, I was looking to sub-let it. I informed the owner, about 2 months ago, that I was going to do so & she told me I could not. I told her there were not any provisions in the lease that stated otherwise & if she wanted to terminate the lease early (it was to lapse Nov. 4th, 2006) then I would be OK with that.

I was able to find someone to sub-let it but in the meantime, the owner e-mailed me & said she had found another tenant & they were going to move in Sept. 25 & wanted me to have all my items out of the unit by Sept 15th. I had a crew in & everything was out by the 14th. Here is the major problem, I prepaid rent through the end of Sept. When I received a check back from the owner, she charged me for the 10 days that she had someone come in & paint & get the place ready for the next tenant. She also charged me over $450.00 for 2 door knobs that needed to be replaced, which I don't know what she is even talking about, & also she charged me to have some closet doors put back on hinges along with a charge for a mailbox key I never received. I never received an itemized bill as to what the charges were. She just made up figures.

What can I do? I am thinking I need to send a demand letter.

Any thoughts on where I go from here? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Erin
    Write a "nice" letter disputing the charges and asking for any "double rent" back.

Since it would not be cost effective for you to travel to PA from TX to take your landlord to Small Claims court, you might want to write it off is she does not send you any money back.
    SSchultz0956 Posts: 121, Reputation: 10

Oct 11, 2006, 10:50 AM
    Yeah, it really depends on how much money it was. Did you pay a deposit? If so, why didn't that cover any "damages" she had fixed/repaired? I'd write to her. Are you originally from Texas? Do you file your taxes there? Is it your actual permanent address? If you can answer yes to these you may be able to sue her in Texas if they have a long-arm statute.
    ecsmall Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2006, 11:39 AM
    Thank you... yes, I did pay a deposit... I only was in the unit a total of 33 days out of the 10 months I rented it. My permanent residence is in TX. I was using the unit in PA to visit my children every month until I had my twins. The amount owed back to me is roughly $1300. What type of "nice" letter would you recommend?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paid security deposit did not sign lease [ 7 Answers ]

I need to get accurate advice on my rights. I applied for an apartment and was accepted. The complex has a waiting list and I have had to wait for 2 months for the apartment to open up. I was required to give a $480 security deposit on receipt of the approval letter and have not yet signed the...

How To Get Security Deposit Back! [ 18 Answers ]

Hello all, My wife and I started renting an apartment in Virginia back in August on a month to month basis. We never had a check list from the landlord to assess the condition of the apartment. Among other things, the carpet was in bad shape and it also smelled bad. Before we moved in, the...

Being evicted but I paid rent [ 2 Answers ]

My lanlord is taking me to court to evicte me for August rent but she filled the eviction papers on July 19th. I'm wondering if she is able to do that. I paid all of julys rent but late and also paid the late fee, today when I got the eviction papers they are for 400 dollars more than my rent even...

Help my security deposit! [ 3 Answers ]

Moved out June 24 (pennsylvania). Move out date was June30 (was doing my landlord a favor so she can re-do bathroom.) Called her July 17 and she says she is not giving any of my security deposit ($1000) because the 60days prior to my moveout, the apt was "filthy" (I procrastinate...

One of Co-Tenants refusing to pay rent and security deposit [ 2 Answers ]

In my house in New Brunswick, NJ, one of my co-tenants is making an extremely unfair demand that would cause 8 of us to suffer unfairly because of that one person. The co-tenant says that if we don't agree to the demand, then she won't pay her security deposit and rent. Do we have to worry...

View more questions Search