Ask
    BADIT Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2009, 07:57 PM
    Someone died in my house
    How do we find out if someone has died in a house before we buy it
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 14, 2009, 08:00 PM

Let me see, you posted your question as a answer to someone about an important event in the history of Christianity.
    Even I can not figure that one out as to why??

But I have moved your post so you may get some answers

There is no real record and to be honest normally does not hurt anything unless it was a famous murder or something.

But you talk to neighbors, you do searches in the local newspaper archives and more
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2009, 08:01 PM

You could always waste.. err I mean spend your money on a psychic or medium.

Sarah
    503person Posts: 57, Reputation: 11

Jun 14, 2009, 09:54 PM

Umm I think if you ask the realtor they at least have to tell you if the last owners died.
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2009, 12:15 AM
    Just ask.
    JimGunther Posts: 436, Reputation: 38

Jun 19, 2009, 09:30 PM

In my state the property records are available on line. You can determine who owned a given piece of property for at least one previous owner. Then do a search for that name in obituary records (newspapers) or one of the sites like ancestry.com. To go further back you may need to go to the place where they register land records in your area.

Even if you do all this, you may not be able to determine exactly where a person who lived there previously died and I personally never considered such a thing to be important. I live in a home built in 1939 and I wouldn't be surprised if someone died here at one time or another.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2009, 11:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JimGunther View Post
    In my state the property records are available on line. You can determine who owned a given piece of property for at least one previous owner. Then do a search for that name in obituary records (newspapers) or one of the sites like ancestry.com. To go further back you may need to go to the place where they register land records in your area.

Even if you do all this, you may not be able to determine exactly where a person who lived there previously died and I personally never considered such a thing to be important. I live in a home built in 1939 and I wouldn't be surprised if someone died here at one time or another.

This will lead to an owner who died in a house; I don't see how it would lead to ANYONE who died in a particular house, which I believe was the question.

Jun 20, 2009, 02:40 PM
    Correct! That's why I said "you may not be able to determine exactly where a person who lived there previously died ." Of course you could always do an Internet search in the local newspapers websites for the address to see if anything happened there that was newsworthy, such as a death.
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2009, 05:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JimGunther View Post
    Correct! That's why I said "you may not be able to determine exactly where a person who lived there previously died ." Of course you could always do an Internet search in the local newspapers websites for the address to see if anything happened there that was newsworthy, such as a death.

Again - the question is whether a person who LIVED there died there. It's whether ANYBODY died there.

Unless I'm reading it wrong -

Jun 20, 2009, 06:35 PM

Yes I got that impression too, that's why I suggested a search for the address itself in the local papers websites. It's a longshot for sure, but if, lets say, a burglar were killed there, it would have certainly appeared in the local papers.
    exhaustedmom Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2009, 09:11 AM

Wow. So my gift really could be used. Lol a sensitive WOULD know, if you knew one? But yes the realtor has to tell you that information. Your getting good advice here!
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2009, 09:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by exhaustedmom View Post
    wow. so my gift really could be used. lol a sensitive WOULD know, if you knew one? but yes the realtor has to tell you that information. your getting good advice here!

How would a realtor possibly know whether (and who) somebody died in a particular house? Realtors don't get into the background. They simply sell property.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who died in my house? [ 25 Answers ]

:confused: Im trying to find out who lived in my house, and if anyone died here. Lately strange things have been going on, I never believed in ghost, but what I've seen in my house is making me a beleiver:eek: . Does anyone know any websites that can help me out?

Who died in my house [ 3 Answers ]

I have been living here for 2 months and feel like I'm not alone .how do I find out if someone died in my home

Some one died in my house [ 6 Answers ]

How can I find out if someone died in my house

How do I find out if someone died in my house [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to know if someone died in my house because a lot of weird things happen in here and I've had a couple experiences that bother me so how do I find out

Died in my house [ 8 Answers ]

Can someone please tell me how to find out if my house is hunted?

View more questions Search