Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    saffy1234 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2009, 02:54 PM
    401K Cash out
    My employment will be terminated soon after 25 years. I am 48 and plan to cash out my 401k. I have about $32000 in my account. Can anyone here tell me how much I should expect to walk away with after Taxes and penalties are applied ?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 14, 2009, 03:03 PM

Why would you do this? You are going to lose a significant portion. The plan will withhold 20% for federal tax. When you file your 2009 taxes, you will need to pay an additional 10%. Local taxes may also take their cut and your actual federal liability will depend on your total income for the year. You could wind up losing 40-50%. Really not a good idea.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cash out 401k [ 2 Answers ]

I 'm moving to Cancun Mexico when I retire this month. I would like to cash out my 401K, Do I pay taxes when I cash out or when filing an tax return which will be hard since I will Be out of the country.

401k cash out [ 3 Answers ]

I still owe hardship loan on 401k but I would like to cash out how would or could I cash out?

Can I cash out my 401K? [ 1 Answers ]

I am 68 years old and reiting in 6 months. I have a small (6K) 401K and do wish to roll it over to IRA. Shall I be able to cash out without penalty? Thank you

401K Cash Out [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I am 25 years old and I left my job in May 2007. I have about $7000 in my 401k, I have just moved to another state and have been unable to obtain employment. I need this money desperatly, however I was told by my plan administrator that I can not cash out until August of 2008. Is this...

401k Cash Out [ 5 Answers ]

The company is closing, I'm over 55 and will be able to avoid the 10% penalty when the 401k plan ends. I am fully vested. Understand the state and federal tax implications. Not unemployed and not sure how long that will last. If I roll over to IRA, I can't get access to the money until at least...

View more questions Search