Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    karenls70 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2009, 10:37 AM
    Need Setup of Home Network with Version Wireless Aircard 595
    Hello,

Can someone please let me know what items I will need to setup a home network using my Verizon Wireless Aircard? I have a desktop and laptop. Laptop has wireless card built-in, desktop uses a linksys usb network card (don't have the exact name in front of me, but it was bought about a year ago). Will I need a wireless router? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
    :confused:
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2009, 11:45 AM

You'll need a laptop with a Cardbus connector. I guess you can find adapters for desktops also. Basically, you have to plug the Aircard in. You'll undoubtedly need Verizon software loaded. Other than that, you shouldn't need anything. Your Linksys card won't be used (this will be a separate network connection). The Laptop's built-in wireless will also not be used for the same reason. You won't need a wireless router unless you want both the laptop and the desktop talking through the same modem (the Wireless Aircard 595). If you want to do that, there's a lot more involved.

Verizon also has a USB card that will do the same thing except you don't have to have the Cardbus connector.

If you want both devices to talk through the Aircard, you'll need to use Internet Connection Sharing.

How to configure Internet Connection Sharing in Windows XP

You will need a router (either wireless or not). You'll also need a crossover Ethernet cable. The router will need to be configured such that its DHCP server is turned OFF (the computer with the card will be the DHCP server) and the computer with the card has to be connected to the router using the crossover cable.

I've done this before, but it's not always an easy setup.
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Jun 16, 2009, 06:57 AM

Is the Verizon Aircard your only Internet connection? Do you have unlimited Internet access as part of your wireless plan? If you do not, this can get expensive.

Typically, a DSL, Cable or Satellite Internet connection is less expensive than an unlimited Internet access account via wireless. Check into this first before you make changes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HELP! Windows xp home network setup problems [ 2 Answers ]

When I run the network setup wizard it freezes at the part where it configures the computer - it won't complete the setup and I don't know how to make it!! HELP!! :confused:

Setting up wireless home networking via a wireless aircard [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to set up a wireless home networking using a wireless aircard. I have installed the wireless air card via USB connect on my desktop PC. I have a Linksys Wireless router and I want to be able to connect two laptops wirelessly via this router. I am having problems establishing a...

Do I need to setup a home network? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have just purchased a wireless router for my son's desktop PC, he has direct access via ADSL to the internet. I am trying to link my laptop to his PC, so that we can both use the same internet connection.I have tried quite a few things like setting up a small home network but I still can't...

PC use of Verizon Wireless Aircard or Wireless USB Modem [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone have an idea of how to set up a home PC (not a laptop) to use Verizon's Wireless Aircard Broadband PC cards? I'd like to go the cheaper route and get the PC card... and see how it works. My other option is purchasing Verizon's wireless USB modem. Has anyone used one on a home PC? ...

Howto setup wireless network [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have 2 laptop and 2 desktop, I want to connect them in wireless network. Can anybody sent me a manual for reference? Thanks to all, Zent

View more questions Search