Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    goedel Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2009, 09:17 AM
    Life of fan motor relay
    I have a central HVAC (gas furnace, split condenser/air-handler). It has a thermostat control. The air-handler's (A-H) fan motor is activated immediately for AC, delayed start and cut-off with heating.

About every two years, I find replacement of the A-H fan-motor relay necessary. I have never had to replace the relay on the compressor's motor. This time, the A-H relay remained "on" long after the thermostat had shut off the compressor. The relay is a small. Enclosed device. It is not awfully expensive, about $8.00 from a mail order supplier. It is a bother to replace, because of tight working conditions, bad spade-type connectors, etc.

Should it be necessary to replace this component as frequently as I find?
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2009, 10:15 AM

It definitely seems excessive. I expect that the designer selected a bad relay. Can you replace it with one that's rated to carry more current?

Jun 14, 2009, 12:36 PM
    Thanks, Perito! I have thought of that but hesitated because there is not much space in the enclosure containing the relay.

The relay's box states "8FLA" and "18LRA". The solenoid coil is 24V.
    What do FLA and LRA mean, please?
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2009, 01:50 PM

8FLA means "8 Full Load Amps". Full Load Amps is the amount of current that is drawn when a motor is running at its rated horsepower. Think of this as "running amps".

18 LRA means "18 Locked Rotor Amps." Locked Rotor Amps is the amount of current that is drawn when the motor is attempting to start. Think of this as "starting amps".

Space is always a consideration. Nevertheless, if you can find a relay rated at 25% more than the one you have, it'll probably last for many years.

Jun 16, 2009, 10:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Perito View Post
    8FLA means "8 Full Load Amps". Full Load Amps is the amount of current that is drawn when a motor is running at its rated horsepower. Think of this as "running amps".

18 LRA means "18 Locked Rotor Amps." Locked Rotor Amps is the amount of current that is drawn when the motor is attempting to start. Think of this as "starting amps".

Space is always a consideration. Nevertheless, if you can find a relay rated at 25% more than the one you have, it'll probably last for many years.
    Many thanks, again!
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jun 16, 2009, 02:00 PM
    Many if not all of those small relays are made in China now days. The quality is just not there anymore. As Perito mentioned a larger capacity relay would help the situation. There are other type relays available from RBM company etc that can be a higher rate and last longer. Some of these will require a bit of a rewire using wire nuts but you can locate the relay in a different location to make replacement easier.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blower Motor Relay [ 1 Answers ]

All I want to know is how does a blower motor relay switch work. I have a wiring diagram for a 1005 GMC Sierra and when on hi spped the connetion only goes from one side of the motor to a blower motor relay switch and I need to know how this is suppose to work . So basically all I am asking is how...

Wiring for motor relay in AC [ 10 Answers ]

We have a Rheem gas furnace/central AC system. The blower motor went out. We finally found a new one. However... I was stupid and did not draw the wiring diagram when I disconnected the old one. Now I can't seem to figure out how to rewire everything. There is a relay switch on the side...

Blower Motor Relay Failing [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Lennox Pulse furnace that is approximately 16 years old with central A/C. Last summer the blower motor stopped running while using air conditioner. Determined that the blower relay was bad, replaced and it ran fine through to this summer season. Again the blower relay contacts failed,...

View more questions Search