Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ultimateJQ Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2009, 02:37 AM
    Sharing internet
    I have two computers with Windows XP connected through a 8-port LAN Hub which is also connected to my Cable Internet Service Provider. Now my Cable Provider has a Dial-Up system to connect to the internet, which works on LAN, which has a Username and a Password exactly similar to the Dial-Up system to connect to the internet through an internet modem which works on a telephone line. So currently if one of my computer is connected to the internet through my Cable Provider's Dial-Up system the other computer will not connect, obviously!
    So my question is that is there any way I can share my internet connection between my computers? That is if I connect one PC to my cable internet so I can share my connection with the other computer at the same time.
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Jun 16, 2009, 06:49 AM

Yes. You would enable Internet Connection Sharing on your connection. Your PC can share this connection out to other computers on your home network. What operating system are you using?
    ultimateJQ Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2009, 04:30 AM
    Its Windows XP Professional SP3.
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Jun 29, 2009, 06:24 AM

Follow the link to Microsoft's guide for Internet Connection Sharing with Windows XP.

How to configure Internet Connection Sharing in Windows XP

Also, check into the purchase of a Cable/DSL router. It is a more secured way of sharing Internet connections and is quite easy to setup. You also do not have to leave the share computer up and running all the time like with ICS. If you have or will get laptops in the house or do not want to run network cables to all of your rooms, you can also purhcase a s router WITH wireless networking. They are typically between $50 and $150.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Internet Sharing on network [ 1 Answers ]

On a home network I want to use internet sharing with out using any proxy software. Is there any way to configure windows to share internet into my network?

Lan To Lan Internet Sharing Help! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Tnx for reading.. hope you can help me.. here is my question with all the information I can think.. I have 2 computers I'm using windows XP SP2 I don't have any router or switch My 1st computer have an internet connection with 2 lancards My 2nd computer have no internet connection with...

Wireless internet sharing [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I want to set up a wireless LAN that connects two computers. I have a D-Link AirPLus G wireless router that connects to my ADSL modem. A D-Link wireless card on the laptop and a TP-Link wireless card on the desktop. I logged on to internet using my laptop first, and it worked, but then when I...

Internet Sharing Q [ 3 Answers ]

Me again. So many questions, so little time :P Anyway. Here's my existing setup. We have a network in our place. 2 PC's directly connected to a router, three connected to a switch upstairs. We use this tp access the internet. And all that works fine. But my girlfriend is often using her...

View more questions Search