Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Measuray Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2006, 03:46 PM
    Circuit Breakers Hissing Sound, Stove Shortage, and Automatic Fusebox Turnoff
    My Landlord is attempting to charge me for replacement of a new fuse box/circuit breaker because I would turn off the radiant heat switch from the box, after SCE (Social California Edison) suggested I so to prevent usage. I resided in the unit for 4 years and started turning off the radiant heat in 2003-2006, once a year. The building is about 77 years old and had its original circuit breaker.

When I moved into the unit, the electric stove burner would shortage out and the fusebox for the hotwater heater would pop and turn itself off at the breaker. This continued to happen 5 times, plus I mentioned the strove burnner shortage and hotwater heater turning off at the breaker to my landlord, and that the fusebox was making a hissing sound. My landlord decided to replace the stove, after 2 failed attempt of the same problem, but the hissing sound and the mysterious turning off the hotwater heater continued.

My landlord had an electrician come over and switch the switches around, but the hissing sound and hotwater heater switch turning off continued.

Finally, my landlord replaced the circuit breaker with a new circuit breaker and the problem was resolved, but upon moving out, he wants me to pay for a new circuit breaker. I feel I am being railroaded. Can you explain why the circuit breaker was doing this. My landlord is accusing me of damaging the circuit breaker by turning off the radiant heat in the summer time. Most people turn their gas pilot off at the furnace and never are accused of damaging it.

The Electrician Wrote: Owner stated that tenant in order to save energy, continuously turned breaker on and off. Circuit breakers are not designed to be operated as a regular switch, but to protect in case of an overload. The actions of the tenant turning on and off breaker caused damage to buzz bar and circuit breaker.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2006, 04:08 PM
    Is the electrician related to the landlord, by any chance?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2006, 04:11 PM
    Breakers can be used as switches, if rated SWD, and is stamped on the breaker, and usually are found in the plastic and not just a paper label.

Switching on/off a couple times a year certainly did not cause this condition, but may have accelerated it.

There was already a loose connection in the panel when you first heard the hissing.

The loose connection was probably a loose breaker plugged onto the bus bar. The loose connection causes heat, that corrodes and melts the metal and plastic.

This was missed every time breakers were changed and moved, before finally, breaking down.

Retail stores, for example, use breakers twice a day to switch off their lights, with no problems.

You may need to have another electrician visit to pull out one of the original breakers to verify they are SWD rated. Or contact you local government housing agency, or electrical inspector, but with a little effort, I believe you can contest this.

Oct 10, 2006, 04:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ceilingfanrepair
    Is the electrician related to the landlord, by any chance?
    Unfortunately, I do not have the answer to this question. If I were to do a guestimation, I would say, no, but I think they are long time friends.

Thanks for your prompt email Tkrussell and Ceilingfanrepair. However, you mentioned that breakers can be used as switches, if rated SWD. If this breaker is 77 years old, when did they start making or labeling breakers as SWD? And for Ceilinfanrepair, I don't know if my landlord is related to the electrician, but I'm guestimating they have a long time business relationship.
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2006, 05:16 PM
    I been in the business over 30 years and there have been SWD ratings on breakers as long as I can remember.

Obtain an objective opinion from another electrician or the local inspector.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2006, 10:15 PM
    I was being facitious, because I could not in my right mind imagine an electrician blaming you for a faulty breaker by shutting it off twice a year. I figured he had to have been in on the con with the landlord. But, as my title implies, this is not my area of expertise.
    bhayne Posts: 339, Reputation: 4

Oct 11, 2006, 09:28 AM
    The breaker is a disconnecting means to the circuit. Regardless of the marking on the breaker, if the breaker fails because of disconnecting the circuit, it is a defective breaker.

No fault of yours. In summary, you should be congratulated for saving a dangerous situation. That hissing is the breaker heating up the trip unit. If the breaker melts and the trip unit jams, then no protection is on the circuit. I suggest you contact you local electrical inspector. They would probably be interested in reviewing the whole complex.

Oct 11, 2006, 10:58 AM
    Jduke44, just wanted a second opinion since I am going to have to take my landlord to court for the remaining balance of my Security Deposit. My landlord wants to charge me $520.00 for replacement of a new circuit breaker panel as a result of what the electrician he hired wrote about me damaging the panel.

Thanks Bhayne and thank you all for your prompt expertise.

Hi All!

I'm scheduled for my court hearing tomororw 1/10/06, regarding my landlord accusing me of damaging the circuit breaker in my unit. As mentioned before, my landlord's electrician said I damaged the breaker by turning off the radiant heat in the summer time. I'm sure my landlord will have his electrician there to discredit me and accuse me of wrongdoing. I sincerely hope the judge can see that this was not my fault. I also wish there was someway the judge could contract you Tkrussel or Bhayne. I will be in Dept. SWN at 8:30 PCT (310) 419-6725. Wish me luck!
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2007, 02:31 PM
    Get back with how you make out at court.

Jan 10, 2007, 02:37 PM
    Hi Tkrussell:

Unfortunately, court was postponed because my landlord is evading service by telling the Sheriff Dept. that this is a private mailbox service, when in fact, he and his wife own the private mailbox service. So, I had to reschedule a new court date for 2/7/07.
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2007, 04:10 PM
    What brand of panel/breakers do you have? Can you provide some pictures? Any model or catalog numbers?

If the landlord is suing you, why is he avoiding service?

Is this small claims court?
    tmentec15 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2008, 10:39 AM
    If you rent the apartment, the landlord should be responsible for any damage to the property if it wasn't done intentionally. All of your circuit breakers should have been updated years ago. I would ask another electrician to add AFCI (arc fault) protection to protect against electrical fires and GFCI (ground fault) in the bathrooms and kitchen to protect against water and electrical shock. If you shut a circuit breaker on and off once a year that was made before 1999 you shouldn't have any problems. If the breaker is 77 years old however, are that because the breaker is so old, plus previous renters shutting the breaker on and off creates wear and tear which can damage the breaker.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2008, 06:44 PM
    The building and it's mechanicals are usually the responsibility of the landlord. Misuse of these items can be considered willful and exceptions to the lease. I'm sorry to say that you may need to prepare for a court date. I would contact both the local building inspector and maybe an electrician to get their opinions. Even if not in your favor, at least it will prepare you better for court.
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2008, 02:09 PM
    This question is over a year old, close to two. I think the issue has been resolved by now. Admin should close old questions.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 25, 2008, 02:24 PM
    >Closed<

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Trane Air Condition circuit breakers trips [ 7 Answers ]

I have a Trane Air Condition that refuses to run more that 10 minutes without tripping the circuit breaker when tempertures are below 32 degs. I read that at low tempertures, more features are needed to keep the heat up. Operation of these features seems to overload the circuit. There must be a...

Kenmore Stove Trips 50 AMP Circuit Breaker [ 3 Answers ]

1 Year old Kenmore Stove, Flat Top keeps tripping my 50 AMP circuit breaker. This stove has worked without problem for 1 year without any problems. What confuses me is that the circuit breaker is tripped whether I use the range, the oven, or both at the same time. Could the breaker be bad? To...

Outside GFI circuit - 15amp outlet on 20amp circuit [ 1 Answers ]

I need a better understanding of what I should do when setting up my new outdoor circuit. I've got a circuit that runs about 150 feet, so I'm installing 10g wire to allow for the voltage drop. I read in the Home Depot Electrical 123 book that I can have at most a 15amp circuit with 10g wire on...

Circuit breakers [ 2 Answers ]

It seems so far that our kitchen is wired all on the same circuit. When we use the oven and microwave or the microwave and the toaster oven which is on the other side of the room the breaker trips. That breaker is currently 15amps. Would it be all right to change that breaker to a 25 or 30 amp for...

Circuit breakers [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to up grade the amps going to my garage so I can run my saws and power tools with out dimming my shop lights. I currently have a old style fuse box in the garge feed with 12ga uf cable run off a 20amp circuit breaker in the service panel. My plans are to replace the fuse box with a new...

View more questions Search