Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    STG Posts: 84, Reputation: 7

Jun 13, 2009, 11:03 PM
    How critical is roofing paper?
    I had to have some shingles replaced last year, so I hired a roofing contractor. The guy was licensed, bonded and registered with the city... so I figured he'd be OK. I was cleaning the gutters today and found that there was no roofing paper in one of the sections where he'd replaced shingles.

How critical is the roofing paper?

For disclosure:

• The house is in San Antonio - where we don't get much rain, but when we do it comes in buckets
    • The house is 14 years old, so we're going to be re-roofing in about 3-5 years anyway
    • There has been no leakage in the areas where he worked - including the area that I found lacked roofing paper

Can we get by with it as it is until we replace the roof in a few years? Is this a "just let it go and keep an eye on it" kind of thing?
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2009, 04:12 AM

In some areas the 15# felt is required by building department. We put it down to protect inside until shingles could be installed.

It is not a problem if u do not have it.

Chuck
    dawgsnkats Posts: 130, Reputation: 7

Jun 14, 2009, 06:03 AM

creahands is right. Most areas have 15lb felt as a minimum in the building code. The protection extends beyond the installation of the shingles. If shingles are ripped off in a storm, then the felt is there to protect the roof until a repair can be done.
    jon123 Posts: 240, Reputation: 3

Jun 17, 2009, 05:11 PM

Agree paper isn't all that critical provided you have no leaks, surprised the contractor didn't use weather membrane on the gutter area though I guess if you have no icing in that region it is okay
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2009, 01:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    agree paper isn't all that critical provided you have no leaks
    I disagree with Jon123. Tar paper is a must no matter what...

Just to pipe in here roofing paper serves two purposes. One is extra protection if some shingles lift and or blow off and the other which most people aren't aware of is to stop the tar shingles from melting over time and sticking/glueing to the roof sheeting. I actually have a clause in my contracts when tear offs are involved if I find no tar paper down. Makes tear offs twice as long and some so bad its quicker/cheaper to tear up the ply/boards and replace with new sheeting in labor costs.

In my area its now requiring 30lb felt as opposed to the 15lb which I think is overkill.

Just to reflect the tar paper tear off later thing. Very old kitchen floors used newspaper under between the wood and the finish floor
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2009, 07:32 AM

Never thought about problem with removing shingles without felt under.

Chuck
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2009, 07:30 PM

Never thought about problem with removing shingles without felt under.
    Shingles in time can melt like hot tar and stick so much so that I have used a demo hammer to remove areas without tar paper under the roof. The biggest culprit is rolled roofing without felt.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 19, 2009, 07:35 PM

Agree with Boat, sorry Jon, but the paper is your next defece after the shingle. I think you may find it code in your town by calling the building department. If it turns out it is code call that licenced, approved roofer back and tell him he forgot something.
    STG Posts: 84, Reputation: 7

Jun 19, 2009, 08:36 PM
    I'm way over my head and utterly unqualified to debate this topic with you guys...

But...

• I'm going to replace the roof altogether in 3-5 years anyway
    • The wood under the shingles is OSB and I'm planning to replace a great deal of it with plywood when we do the roof replacement
    • and the guy only replaced the bottome couple of "rows" of shingles in the places where he did the work.

So... is it a big deal and something I need to sweat now or could it get by until we replace the roof?

And... since it is code (as has been mentioned), I'm calling the roofer up and asking him why he forgot to use it.
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2009, 01:37 AM

I agree with Boat. The only problem will be removing. Should be OK.

When having roof redone and using same contractor, have in contract no extra pay for removal of those shingles.

Chuck

Jun 20, 2009, 04:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 21boat View Post
    I disagree with Jon123. Tar paper is a must no matter what...

Just to pipe in here roofing paper serves two purposes. One is extra protection if some shingles lift and or blow off and the other which most people aren't aware of is to stop the tar shingles from melting over time and sticking/glueing to the roof sheeting. I actually have a clause in my contracts when tear offs are involved if I find no tar paper down. Makes tear offs twice as long and some so bad its quicker/cheaper to tear up the ply/boards and replace with new sheeting in labor costs.

In my area its now requiring 30lb felt as opposed to the 15lb which I think is overkill.

Just to reflect the tar paper tear off later thing. Very old kitchen floors used newspaper under between the wood and the finish floor
    I agree felt paper is a must I used 15lb on all applications , I thought this was a repair job for what appeared to be a tempory fix.. certainly not imperative to use paper knowing the roof is going to be replaced in a few years.. I'm not saying I wouldn't use paper for a couple wind shingles.. in fact I always use weather membrane for most all my shingle repairs . If the roofer cheated you by not using paper or an underlayment membrane for a tempory patch, simply call him back to do the job right. It certainly isn't critical though if you know it is just a tempory patch to get you a few seasons before replacing the entire roof.. that is when you will want to be critcal.

Jun 20, 2009, 04:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 21boat View Post
    Shingles in time can melt like hot tar and stick so much so that I have used a demo hammer to remove areas without tar paper under the roof. The biggest culprit is rolled roofing without felt.
    Boat, I understand and agree with you, I seen it all in my 30 yrs roofing.. even a patch job calls for at least 15lb. Paper, but it is a repair on an old shingle roof the customer is going to replace within 3 to 5 yrs. Personally I would use paper in anycase, but it sounded like a tempory repair using a few new shingles on an old roof. As for shingles sticking to sheathing? You ever try tearing off weather watch or similar ice shield underlayment membrane doing a roof tearoff? I just leave the old on and go over it with new membrane

Jun 20, 2009, 05:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by STG View Post
    I'm way over my head and utterly unqualified to debate this topic with you guys...

But...

• I'm going to replace the roof altogether in 3-5 years anyway
    • The wood under the shingles is OSB and I'm planning to replace a great deal of it with plywood when we do the roof replacement
    • and the guy only replaced the bottome couple of "rows" of shingles in the places where he did the work.

So...is it a big deal and something I need to sweat now or could it get by until we replace the roof?

And...since it is code (as has been mentioned), I'm calling the roofer up and asking him why he forgot to use it.
    If it is code and you want it fixed yes, call the contractor back to do the repair right however, I seriously doubt you will have a problem with the newer shingles provided it was shingled accordingly.. I use a flat wonder bar on cool mornings or evening to break the glue seal and than pry the next undercoarse nails up slowing using a hammer and the flatbar taking care not to tear each shingle along sides the area to be repaired, I always use a tar gun to seal all old nail holes and also to glue down the old tabs I broken to replace damaged area of repair.. now this guy you used didn't use paper, but if it is a roof on its way out and this repair seems to be holding up and you can get by with it till your new roof job in 3 to 5 yrs you will be fine in my opinion
    jmc1324 Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Jul 24, 2009, 05:57 AM

You will be OK until you re-roof as long as you have no leaks, as for 15# or 30# felt / tap paper I always recommend 30 # it protects your house from weather while roof is being replaced in case of rain, (or if a shingle blows off during wind storm) and also reduces the wear out of the shingles from the back side from the expansion and contraction of the shingles and the roof sheeting. Also when roof in the heat 15# felt paper becomes like waxed paper very slippery and hazardous to the roofer. It can tear out from under your feet very easily .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Roofing ! [ 3 Answers ]

Which is a better way to go roof shingles or a metal roof . And which is more durable and lasting ?:)

LexmarkX6570 Paper jam display with no paper jam [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I cannot get the paper jam error to clear - I have unplugged the printer, rebooted by laptop and still the error keeps appearing. There is no paper in the machine and the path is clear of any paper. Any assistance would be very helpful! Thank you.

Canon MP600 says no paper when there is paper [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying tp print from Canon MP600 but get message "there is no paper. load paper and press OK" There is paper in feeder - any idea of what solution might be ? Thanks

IB Roofing (pvc) vs. CertianTeed Roofing [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons between these two roofing materials. I am in charge of having a roof replaced for our city council. We have had several contractors come in and give us estimates and its down between these two. Both are at the same cost. This is going on a building with a flat...

View more questions Search