Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sanjanaagreenlund Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2006, 03:25 PM
    Newton's laws of motion
    A person with a blackbelt in karate has a fist that has a mass of 0.60 kg. Starting from rest, this fist attains a velocity of 9.0 m/s in 0.20 s. What is the magnitude of the average net force applied to the fist to achieve this level of performance?

My teacher hasn't given us notes and the book doesn't explain how to do anything... it just gives the questions and answers but that question isn't in the book.
    dmatos Posts: 204, Reputation: 26

Oct 10, 2006, 03:37 PM
    Well, what are Newton's laws of motion? (in equation form) What is the question asking for? Look at the equations, and see if one of them applies to this situation.
    rajeevsrai Posts: 22, Reputation: 0

Oct 19, 2006, 01:12 AM
    The acceleration is (9 - 0)/0.2 = 45 m/s2
    thus force = mass *acceleration = 0.6*45 = 27 N
    that's your answer
    tracystrumolo Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2006, 02:42 PM
    I wanted to thank rudi... for answering my questions on newtons laws...

I need group activities so that my students can try all 3 of Newtons laws...

My class is 80 minutes long so I need good lab activities to test these laws

So that my class will understand what the laws mean and then they will have a visual with that law to help them remember..

PLEASE,, PLEASE.. PLEASE...

If anyone has any ideas for a high school setting on how to test these laws please e-mail me back...

Thanks

Tracy
    rudi_in Posts: 251, Reputation: 45

Dec 17, 2006, 03:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tracystrumolo
    I wanted to thank rudi...for answering my questions on newtons laws...

I need group activities so that my students can try all 3 of Newtons laws...

My class is 80 minutes long so I need good lab activities to test these laws
    As I recall, I provided you with several ideas that you could use for group activities.

Did you need something different?
    rudi_in Posts: 251, Reputation: 45

Dec 17, 2006, 04:45 PM
    I have a couple of questions too, I guess that concern me.

...i am a special education teacher for a high school..my kids are about on a 7-9 th grade..For when we come back from x-mas break i would love to do Newtons 3 laws of motion...
    You are a special ed teacher and please forgive me because I do not fully understand the role of the special ed teacher other than through my own experience working with them as a teacher myself.

Why does it seem as though you are being asked to provide a full one block lesson on a subject that you (correct me if I am wrong) are not certified in? Should this not be the responsibility of the science teacher?

I thought perhaps your role might be one of helping the science teacher differentiate instruction or perhaps work with the science teacher to find a way for you to help them one on one in your room. But not to give full lessons, lectures, and labs. :confused:

On one of the kids IEP's it states when there is a force there is an equal and opposite force (something like that)...
    What would Newton's 3rd Law be doing in a students IEP? The IEP should be providing information on the reasonable accommodations to be allowed for the student such as finding a quiet place to work alone or be allowed extra time on assignments or allowed to use the book on exams. Why would an IEP make statements like that about physics? :confused:

It would appear to me that you are going a bit too far above and beyond the call of duty. If you can do it, great, all the power to you. I would, however, caution using a tactic like this just to get through your tenure year. It may backfire, especially if you do not have the necessary background in the subject area to go that far in depth on a topic.

Where is the science teacher in all of this?

AAAAAAHHH! :eek:
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2006, 04:48 PM
    I quite agree with rudi, if you are not trained in physics or teaching physics, how are you going to answer questions that come from the kids?
    tracystrumolo Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2006, 06:07 PM
    According to my classes taken in college and all of my years teaching a form of a science I am highly qualified to teach science... that does not mean that I am a science teacher.. I have to modify everything to a lower level and need A lot of hands on activities for the students to understand.. I have 6 students and do a lot 1 to 1... but I also need to incorporate a lot of activities (large and small group)... I don't know why this is posted in the students iep... but last years teachers made up this years iep goals... so for next year I am in charge of the students science goals... I have to hit what is in their iep's.. so whatever it is it is... thank you for all of your help RUDI... I just wanted other peoples ideas and suggestions... I will use your ideas and suggestions...
    THANK YOU
    Tracy

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Motion to Continue [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I are tyring to reconcile. I have already filed a motion to continue with the court. Is there any way to get a motion for leave from court or a motion to stay to see if we can work things out without having to refile for divorce if they don't workout? Thank you for your help. ...

Need motion in opposition to defendants motion for summary judgement & TO STOP Thief [ 5 Answers ]

Good day all,received a motion in the mail "plaintiff's motion for default judgement as to defendents xxxxxx,xxxxxx,xxxxxx, and judgement on the pledings as to defendant xxxxxxx (state gov agency that sold the tax deed ) this case is about a overlooked tax lein sold against my grandmothers house ...

Motion sensors on 3 way switch [ 5 Answers ]

First I apologize for my terminology. I have a switch a the bottom of the stairs and one at the top of the stairs. They both control the same light fixture. I think this is called a 3 way switch? My real question: I bought 2 levition motion switches that state they work with 3 way switches. The...

Motion to vacate judgement [ 1 Answers ]

All my money in my bank accounts are currently frozen due to a judgement. The collection agency is demanding I pay the total amount due up front. I do not have this money. I called the courts and they said I need to file a motion to vacate the judgement. I am willing to let them garnish my...

Brownian Motion [ 2 Answers ]

In simple terms, what is the cause of brownian motion?? THANK YOU... THANK YOU!

View more questions Search