Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MichelleR776 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2009, 02:08 PM
    Will my hair turn from black to my natural color after getting it stripped?
    I recently dyed my hair black, but it makes me look too much older, I was wondering is that if I get my hair sripped will it turn back to my natural color or what shade of brown.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2009, 03:06 PM
    I was wondering is that if I get my hair stripped, will it turn back to my natural color?
    Absolutely not!

Almost all hair dyes, including black dyes, contain hydrogen peroxide. This substance reacts with the color molecules to deposit the color back into the hair. Hydrogen peroxide also reacts with your natural hair pigment to lighten it. Even if you dye your hair dark, the natural pigments are lightened.

If you use color remover (ColorFix or Color Oops) to remove the artificial (black) pigment, and if you get all of that pigment out, your hair will be a reddish or orangish shade. The exact shade depends on your natural color (and you didn't mention that). The lighter your natural color, the less red and the more yellow you'll have.

It's expected that you'll have to re-dye your hair (presumably somewhat lighter than black). In addition, you will have to deal with fading because your hair will be somewhat damaged.

You can also use a bleach-type color remover. That type of "stripper" (color remover) will definitely lighten whatever natural pigment you have left. It will also damage your hair more than reducing-type color removers.

You have to use color remover in order to lighten hair that's been dyed. Haircoloring won't lighten haircoloring.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How badly will having black hair dye stripped out damage my hair? [ 24 Answers ]

I recently dyed my naturally dark brown hair a bright black colour, and I am not very pleased with it at all. I know that stripping the colour on my own would seriously damage my hair (something I would like to avoid, as I have just finished growing out/cutting off some very damaged hair), but if I...

How long after dying my hair can I use a color zapper? What color will it turn my hai [ 2 Answers ]

My natural hair color is Dark/Medium Brown. Since summer, I've been dying my hair with a reddish tone. I haven't had my natural color since then. I decided to try black, I HATE IT. I look too pale and it looks like a wig. My friend told me about a loreal color zapper and I don't want to damage my...

Hair too black to be stripped? [ 4 Answers ]

I just tried myhd hair dye remover on my hair( which is coloured black) And it half worked, my roots are back to their original colour... light brown, But the rest of my hair is still very very black. I had consulted a hairdresser about getting my hair stripped last week but my sister came home...

Natural black hair that's dyed black, how can I lighten it? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi im new to this! Ive been dying my hair black for about 2 years. My hair is naturally very dark brown/almost black already. Id really like to color it a light brown. should i strip my hair color, then proceedto try a light brown? thanks so much for any kind of help!:o

View more questions Search