Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    0dignity69 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2006, 02:26 PM
    My best friend in the whole world is atheist.
    Omg I'm in complete shock. Me and my best friend ever are brothers (might as well be). And I moved away and we both have had hard times since then. And we are depressed. I was just told by his girlfriend that he is aitheist. I don't know what do to really. I can't believe it. I mean we are really close, as close as you can get. We have talked about jesus and god and stuff. I never thought this would happen. I think its his girlfriend because she and her friends are the reason he is depressed and she is aitheist to. I just don't know what to do can someone help me?
    charlie123 Posts: 93, Reputation: 19

Oct 10, 2006, 02:34 PM
    I would suggest talking with your best friend. Let him know your worries. All that you can really do is talk with him & pray for him. You might could invite him to go to church with you, too. I'll keep you and your friend in my prayers.

Oct 10, 2006, 02:38 PM
    Thanks for the answer but I cant, I moved away. And I don't go to church I'm christain but I don't believe in church. Just answer my question future people don't say anything about me not going to church
    Northwind_Dagas Posts: 348, Reputation: 83

Oct 11, 2006, 11:41 AM
    Accept them who they are and what they believe. They do that for you, right?
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2006, 12:43 PM
    Honestly, So what!

You have a friend that became an atheist according to somebody else. Even if it came directly from you friend. You should be accepting of his choice. This friend knows that you believe, you need to continue being this persons friends and just show your friend your love, your caring and he will see how God leads your life and he will see your example and may eventually come to it on their own. Never push, never bang anything on the head. Be understanding and caring and non judgemental. That is all you need to do. God in heaven will reward you for this.
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2006, 02:11 AM
    I agree with Northwind and with Jesushelper.. my answer would be the same... SO WHAT IF HE IS AN ANTHEIST!! What's the big deal.
    Im catholic and my husband is atheist ( agnostic )

You accept people for who they are not for what the believe in in what they don't :cool:

Why is this so shocking to you?
    Why would it change how you feel about your best friend?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 12, 2006, 05:27 AM
    I guess I will agree, so what, perhaps if you are living a good Christian life he will see the love of Christ in you (if you are a close follower) if you are not a close follower, he will only see that christianity is just a Sunday thing and has little value, You are an example for others, and that is how christianity is suppose to be spread by others seeing our examples.

But don't be surprised there are preachers in the puplit Sunday morning that are antheist, and many in the pews every Sunday that are antheist also. This happens because of people going to church for social issues.

And I have friends who are Buddhist, and many who are pretend Christians who play church, ( since they don't live any level of Christian faith)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 12, 2006, 06:18 AM
    I'm with everyone else. What are you getting all upset about? I can't understand why you, especially as a non practicing Christian, should be even remotely concerned about your friend's religious beliefs.

I have to suspect that something more is going on here that you aren't telling us. Your reaction is way disproportionate to the situation.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 12, 2006, 07:02 AM
    It should not matter whether he is an atheist or a sign painter he is your brother (in spirit) so accept and love him for who he is, not what you want him to be.

Oct 12, 2006, 03:32 PM
    I'm christain I don't want my best friend to go to hell! That's what I'm upset about
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 12, 2006, 04:14 PM
    Well, I bet he doesn't believe in hell, so what.

Aren't you afraid of going to hell because you are not a practicing Christian?
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2006, 04:20 PM
    If you let it bother you that much then I don't think you are the friend you think you are.
    So what. Get over it. If he is like your brother then you wll accept him for who he is.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2006, 06:07 PM
    Well, I bet he doesn't believe in hell, so what.

Aren't you afraid of going to hell because you are not a practicing Christian?

J9 What an excellent point you made. OMG Talk about funny. It is true, betcha the poster

Never even looked at it that way. I wanted to spread the love but the this setup still

Tells me I have to spread it.
    LucyMcgoo Posts: 27, Reputation: 3

Oct 12, 2006, 10:26 PM
    SO WHAT? Let him be who he is and move on in your relationship. Don't blame everyone else for it because clearly it was HIS CHOICE to believe what he believes.
    Ultra Member

Oct 13, 2006, 12:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 0dignity69
    im christain i dont want my best friend to go to hell!! thats what im upset about

:eek: :eek: you're a non practing Christian, which is by all means worse than being atheist, really and truly!
    Can I ask... why are you a non practing christian?

The point you made above makes NO complete sense :confused: :rolleyes:
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 13, 2006, 05:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 0dignity69
    im christain i dont want my best friend to go to hell!! thats what im upset about
    This is an example of one of the reasons, I'm against organized religion. Religion is supposed to provide support and solace. But in this case, its providing anxiety (irrational IMHO).

In my opinion you are being hypocritical, irrational and obsessive. If you were a true friend, you would respect your friends beliefs and lifestyle.

Frankly, I think you need to, quickly, get yourself into a church and talk to a clergyman about your obsession here. You might even consider talking to a therapist. In my opinion it is YOU who have a problem, not your friend.
    Northwind_Dagas Posts: 348, Reputation: 83

Oct 13, 2006, 06:04 AM
    Just for clarity, to all those that are accusing this person of being hypocritical, they did not say they were not a practicing Christian--they said they don't go to church. Is it necessary to regularly go to a church to be Christian?
    Ultra Member

Oct 13, 2006, 06:11 AM
    You do make a valid point.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2006, 06:22 AM
    That could be a whole other thread Northwind. :D
    puppetkicks Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2006, 09:49 PM
    There is something wrong going on here if you read the Bible the you would now one of the ten commandments is Thou Shalt Not Judge, so I guess you must be a hypocritic if you didn't know that. You can't go around preaching religion and not know what is in the Bible. So, to answer your question, an atheist is someone that does not believe in God. That does not make you a devilworshiper it just means you don't believe in anything.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The Atheist and the Bear [ 3 Answers ]

=: The Atheist and the Bear := An atheist was walking through the woods. "What majestic trees! What powerful rivers! What beautiful animals!" he said to himself. As he was walking alongside the river, he heard a rustling in the bushes behind him. He turned and saw a 7-foot grizzly ...

What in the world is this? [ 6 Answers ]

I've never run into a webpage like this before (give it a minute to load): http://www.space.com/images/google.html What in the world is it? Why would someone take the time to do all that - and what purpose does it serve? ... just curious.

Please someone help me It would mean the world truly. [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I am a soon to be 18 year old who will start my Senior year of High School. I have a friend who lives in Kentucky it's a she. We've known each other for two years talked to each other through phone,internet, and letters. We both love each other as friends an see each other as dating material...

Friend poached another friend! Advice? [ 11 Answers ]

I had never had this feeling before, but last summer I felt like one of my friends was poaching another, as in they were going to be friends with each other INSTEAD of me, not in addition to me. A series of events happened in a few days (friend #1 supposed to come early to help with my...

World Geography [ 1 Answers ]

What are alluvial fans?

View more questions Search