Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maple1234 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2009, 12:32 PM
    Bird’s eggs solidify upon heating
    When solids r heated they turn into liquids, further heating change liquids into gases, then why hen’s and other bird’s eggs solidify upon heating?
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2009, 12:37 PM
    When solids are heated, they turn into liquids. Further heating changes liquids into gases. Why, therefore, do hen’s and other bird’s eggs solidify upon heating?
    Great question!

The answer is actually pretty simple but it's important to note that not all solids melt and/or evaporate.

A lot of substances decompose when they get hot. Eggs, don't decompose, but they come close. They undergo something denaturation. Eggs (especially the whites) are composed primarily of chains of protein. These proteins arrange themselves in a certain way in space. When you heat the eggs up, this "perfect" arrangement of proteins gets messed up. The chains of protein get tangled and the protein becomes denatured. The process leads to solidification of the egg.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Eggs [ 4 Answers ]

How long does it take to boil an egg? (I can never get it right)

Change in weight of bird-cage when the bird is flying inside the cage? [ 2 Answers ]

Q1. What kind of Change would be observed in the weight of bird-cage, weighed by a spring balance 1. when the bird is sitting inside the cage 2. when the bird is flying inside the cage? WHY? Q2. A 1.0 gm. Seed is sown on the earth after few years it becomes one of the biggest trees in the...

Is dye in bird toys safe? How to clean bird toys? [ 8 Answers ]

I am usually the one that helps other people with their cockatiel or bird questions but this time I am the one that needs help. I have cockatiel birds and I have many bird toys that I buy from Walmart and PetsMart and the other day when cleaning my bird cage I decided to wash the toys with water...

Help bird won't take care of eggs [ 2 Answers ]

I have a bird. SHe has laid 7 eggs now. The weird thing is she keeps laying eggs but does not have a partner. Well she did, but the partner fought with her and popped her eye. The eye is better now.We separated him to a different cage. Now she keeps laying eggs and is not taking care of them. I...

Eggs [ 2 Answers ]

This might sound stupid,but does anyone know how long it takes to boil a perfect egg? Thanks.

View more questions Search