Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    familytree2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2009, 11:41 AM
    duties of an executor
    Mother=in-law died and the home she had is to be divided between 7 children. Oldest son, who is also the executor, wants to buy the house from the rest of the benes. He is living in the home since January, 2008 and is not paying rent to anyone. In August of 2008everyone agreed on a price that he would buy the house for, however, he has not come up with the money as yet and the house continues to decrease in value. What can we do?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 13, 2009, 12:00 PM

The other children hire an attorney and challenge him in probate court demanding fair rent and a date to buy the home, if not, the house would be put on the market
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2009, 12:27 PM

The other six would need to hire an attorney and take him to court. They can ask for rent (though that too would be divided between the six of them) and for him to set a date for the house to be sold (if to him). If he can't buy the house it can be put on the market and the proceedes will then be divided between the seven children (possibly with a little less going to the one living in it to cover those months of rent depending on what the judge rules).
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 13, 2009, 01:10 PM

An executor has a fiduciary responsiblility to the estate. If the executor acts in a negligent manner, causing harm to the other beneficiaies, then he can be sued over it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Estate matter involving executor duties & rights per language in will [ 6 Answers ]

Hello. Thanks in advance for reading my question and possibly providing some guidance. I am the daughter and Executor/Personal Representaive/Trustee of my late mother's estate. Given all the property, I've not yet closed her estate because there is so much to be done -- it's been almost three...

Landlord duties [ 9 Answers ]

My family and I moved into a house about a week and a half ago. We rent in Ohio. We offered to clean the house ourselves before moving in, because the landlord lives in Indiana, and we were only 10 minutes away from our new house. Plus we wanted to get it done so that we could move in sooner. They...

Daily duties [ 2 Answers ]

What does your occupation require of you on a daily basis?

View more questions Search