Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    martialartmom Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2009, 08:15 AM
    How to fix inground pool leak from return
    We have an old pool that used to have a sand filter many, many years ago. We replaced it with a cartridge filter. The pool is leaking copious amounts of water that seems to be coming from underneath the pump station. We dug underneath the pump station to see if we could see where the leak is coming from... we had suspected the return line. There is a large metal "resevoir" directly underneath the pump station that we don't know the purpose of, but that is were the leak seems to be coming from. What is this for... was it related to the sand filter that was originally on the pool... do we need it... and if we don't, any suggestions on how to by pass it?
    Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!
    KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

Jun 13, 2009, 09:05 AM
    Hi! martialartmom, and Welcome to AMHD :)

Your reservoir may be a pre-filter or chem dispenser, can you send Pix?

Regards... KUXJ

Jun 13, 2009, 09:50 AM
    Hopefully I have uploaded three photos. Kind of hard to see. The tank is directly underneath the pump station.. kind of blue. I took one photo from the back of the pump station, which is where the water is leaking and one from the side. The other is the pump station so that you can get an orientation.
    Any insight is greatly appreciated!
    martialartmom
    Attached Images

Jun 13, 2009, 12:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by martialartmom View Post
    We have an old pool that used to have a sand filter many, many years ago. We replaced it with a cartridge filter. The pool is leaking copious amounts of water that seems to be coming from underneath the pump station. We dug underneath the pump station to see if we could see where the leak is coming from... we had suspected the return line.
    There is a large metal "resevoir" directly underneath the pump station that we don't know the purpose of, but that is were the leak seems to be coming from. What is this for... was it related to the sand filter that was originally on the pool... do we need it...
    Although you have lived there for many years, it sounds like you bought the house with the pool. This is why you don't know the purpose of this reservoir.
    Can you see from pool side if there are any patched areas on the pool wall in front of this reservoir? Even if not, I suspect this was the original pump/filter vault. Can't see inside the brick, does the Pump/filter lines go through the pad?

and if we don't, any suggestions on how to by pass it?
    If you are able to pump and filter now, it's already been by-passed. The first thing you would need to do is to purchase plugs for all lines from or to the pool, to be applied inside the pool. In other words you have to shut off any water that can reach the existing filter/pump assembly. This also includes the Skimmer.

The next step would be to disassemble and remove everything above the old blue reservoir.
    *The existing pump/filter assembly
    *The cap and brick wall
    *The existing concrete pad
    *Dig out and around the old blue reservoir

Once this is done you will have a better idea of how the plumbing is coming into this area, you will be able to fix/improve what by-pass is already there, and fill in 'ol blue, because being on a hill like that I wouldn't want to disturb as much dirt as possible.
    You might be able to dig around the pad to see where the lines come and go. Then you can eliminate the first three stars above.

I've chores to do now, I'll check back later...

Kind Regards... KUXJ

Jun 13, 2009, 04:07 PM
    Thank you for your help! The pool was here when we bought the house about 22 years ago. We figure the pool is about 40 years old. The pool itself is in great shape. We had it sandblasted, concrete repaired and repainted this year. Silly us, we thought we were done for the year with pool maintenance! Since we had it sandblasted this year, we didn't see any patches on the pool wall in front of the reservoir. The return line does go down underneath the concrete pad in the pump station and then underneath the pool deck. So, forgive my ignorance, but what purpose did the pump/ filter vault serve? Do you think we still have a line that may be feeding into it?
    We figured that we would have to tear down the pump station... let us know any other thought you have.
    Thanks!
    martialartmom

Jun 13, 2009, 08:32 PM
    Thank you for your help!
    Your welcome.

The return line does go down underneath the concrete pad in the pump station and then underneath the pool deck.
    Does the infeed pipe also come through the pad? Does the pad sit directly on top of Ol' blue?

So, forgive my ignorance, but what purpose did the pump/ filter vault serve?
    It could have been used as a relief area for the turns/elbows/shutoff valves the piping had to make in order to reach the pump/filter. relief area; think, an open area devoid of earth that wouldn't be subjected to the frost and freeze that could crack piping. It would also allow easy access in case you needed to change/fix anything.
    Also keep in mind the lines would have been blown out during the winterizing process, so the water wouldn't have a chance to freeze in the lines.

Do you think we still have a line that may be feeding into it?
    Yes two, the infeed and return. One or both may be your leak.

We figured that we would have to tear down the pump station...let us know any other thought you have.
    Do you have anything that looks like a square on the pad? Think, lid as in a manhole cover, I have a well pump vault that has an 18”sq x 5” thick concrete plug with tapered sides and a rebar handle for access, Its purpose is to protect the well cap and elbow that leads to the house, and allow easy access when/if you need to change the submersible pump.
    Nowadays you have a 6"or 8" pipe stickin' up in your yard somewhere.

Some of my statements in an earlier post may have been in error, as I am getting a clearer picture of the situation now.
    My apologies 'bout the lateness, chores took longer than I thought. :(

Regards... KUXJ

Jun 14, 2009, 09:31 AM
    [QUOTE=KUXJ;1795491]I have attached a couple of photos of the inside of the pump station. One from the left of the station and one from the right. So you can get an orientation, the cartridge filter canister is at the back of the pump station. We also use a salt water chlorinator which you see attached on the front of the pump station wall.

Does the infeed pipe also come through the pad? Does the pad sit directly on top of Ol' blue?
    The Infeed pipe does not come up through the pad, it comes through the side of the pump station. "Ol' Blue" is directly underneath the pump station. Perhaps a bit closer to the front of the pump station than the back.

Do you have anything that looks like a square on the pad? Think, lid as in a manhole cover, I have a well pump vault that has an 18”sq x 5” thick concrete plug with tapered sides and a rebar handle for access, Its purpose is to protect the well cap and elbow that leads to the house, and allow easy access when/if you need to change the submersible pump.
    Nowadays you have a 6"or 8" pipe stickin' up in your yard somewhere.

There isn't any access point from above for "Ol' Blue". I'm now wondering if the concrete pad for the pump station wasn't poured after "Ol' Blue" was supposedly taken off line... kind of a swimming pool forensic mystery!
    Thanks again for all of your help!
    martialartmom
    Attached Images

Jun 14, 2009, 11:53 AM
    I have attached a couple of photos of the inside of the pump station. One from the left of the station and one from the right. So you can get an orientation, the cartridge filter canister is at the back of the pump station. We also use a salt water chlorinator which you see attached on the front of the pump station wall.
    Thank You for the extra pix's! I can see much better, now that I have my glasses on! ;)
    The Infeed pipe does not come up through the pad, it comes through the side of the pump station. "Ol' Blue" is directly underneath the pump station. Perhaps a bit closer to the front of the pump station than the back.
    From the pix, your statement is partially incorrect. You have two infeeds, the one you mentioned, that is shut off, and the one coming up out of the pad that is turned on. Your return also goes down into the pad.
    Yes to both questions.
    There isn't any access point from above for "Ol' Blue". I'm now wondering if the concrete pad for the pump station wasn't poured after "Ol' Blue" was supposedly taken off line... kind of a swimming pool forensic mystery!
    That is a distinct possibility! I'm of the same mind.

As a word of caution; I made a notation near your pump's junction box about a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI), I hope it is, I'd hate to hear about you or your family or friends involved in a “forensic mystery”. The chlorinator should also be on one!

You could run a dye test, pour some down the hole (at least a Gal.) that has the pipe shut off... wait at least a 1/2 hour, if not try the return line hole, can't hurt.

Regards... KUXJ
    Attached Images

Jun 14, 2009, 03:03 PM
    As a word of caution; I made a notation near your pump's junction box about a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI), I hope it is, I'd hate to hear about you or your family or friends involved in a “forensic mystery”. The chlorinator should also be on one!
    They are both GFCI! At least we have that much going for us!

You could run a dye test, pour some down the hole (at least a Gal.) that has the pipe shut off..........wait at least a 1/2 hour, if not try the return line hole, can't hurt.

We tried the dye test... and nothing... the water coming out from under the pump station is still clear. I am completely stumped. I think at this point we are going to have to start dismantling the pump station layer by layer until we discover the source!

Thank you for your patience and expert advise! I'll let you know what we end up with!
    martialartmom

Jun 14, 2009, 04:08 PM
    We tried the dye test ... and nothing.... the water coming out from under the pump station is still clear. I am completely stumped. I think at this point we are going to have to start dismantling the pump station layer by layer until we discover the source!
    There is more to a dye test, than what I described.

A little cerebral, but excellent:
    How To Fix Swimming Pool Leaks

Has his own pool Co. just pick out the areas that apply:
    Steve Goodale - EzineArticles.com Expert Author

What can I say?. wiki:
    How to Leak Test Your Swimming Pool Skimmer - wikiHow

Has some areas that we didn't touch on:
    Leaks in Swimming Pools

Thank you for your patience and expert advise! I'll let you know what we end up with!
    martialartmom
    Your welcome! Just reply here.

Oh!. One other thought, did you have the pool resurfaced because it was leaking like this or after? No need to reply, just a thought.

Regards, KUXJ

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

After cement patch, can I paint inground pool walls and not use a pool liner [ 1 Answers ]

Existing pool liner has come off (bought home with pool as is) cement patches needed. I want to just paint the cement and fill the pool. Is that doable, or do I need the pool liner.

Inground pool coping [ 2 Answers ]

I recently had my vinyl liner replaced on my inground swimming pool. I have bull nose coping, (this was not changed), and I am noticing that it is separating from the concrete deck in quite a few places (about 3/4 inch). I also notice that where the pieces of coping connect to each other there are...

View more questions Search