Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wittgenstein Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2009, 01:39 AM
    Firefox does not start and cannot be uninstalled
    1. Suddenly Firefox 8.1.1 will not start on my profile (admin). The computer thinks for 1 second and then nothing more happends. No error mess.
    2. It starts and works fine at the other profile on the same computer
    3. Tried to uninstall Firefox at the admin profile but during setup I get the message: "Error 1606 Could not access network location %APPDATA%\"
    4. Did a deep scan on the computer with latest Avast database. No viruses found.
    5. Did not install anything new in connection to when this problem arose.

I run Vista 32-bit.

Grateful for any help!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 13, 2009, 02:50 AM
    I'm confused since Firefox is currently at version 3.0.11. Where are you downloading FF from?

Jun 13, 2009, 03:48 AM
    Good point. Firefox 3.0.11. My mistake.
    I download it from: Webbläsaren Firefox på svenska | Snabbare, säkrare och anpassningsbar
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 13, 2009, 03:52 AM
    Well here's the MS fix: You receive an "Error 1606" error message when you try to install or remove a Microsoft program
    walt17 Posts: 335, Reputation: 28

Jun 13, 2009, 10:36 AM
    Let's blame Vista! My experience has been that it frequently screws up working programs. Anyway, here are two suggestions from Mozilla website.

If Firefox previously worked but suddenly doesn't start, it may be due to some corrupt data in your settings. Uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox would not fix this problem because your settings are not removed on uninstall.
    To test to see if this is the problem, use the Profile Manager to create a new profile. If the problem goes away, you can then move your bookmarks and other important settings into the new profile.

For Vista:

1. Restart your computer.
    2. Select the Start Menu in the Windows Taskbar.
    3. In the Search box, enter the following:
      %APPDATA%
    4. Press Enter.
    5. From the Application Data folder, navigate to Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox.
    6. Delete the file xpicleanup.dat.
    7. Restart Firefox.

Good luck.

Jun 13, 2009, 03:00 PM
    Thank you guys. I will give your suggestions a try first thing tomorrow morning and come back with what happens!

Jun 16, 2009, 12:31 PM
    Creating a new account helped. So far so good. But all the passwords and so on are gone unfortunately.
    Thanks again!
    Dont treadonme Posts: 115, Reputation: -6

Aug 3, 2009, 07:24 AM

Why is your Firefox profile on a network share?

Profile Manager - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Firefox won't start up [ 2 Answers ]

OK here is what happened. I was listening to mp3s on itunes. I went to edit an id3 tag and for some reason my comp went crazy. So I restarted. When I came back, itunes worked fine. But Firefox decided to not work. When I click it, it comes and acts like it is opening the startpage (digisoul.com)...

Internet Explorer uninstalled [ 6 Answers ]

I thought I was "cleaning up" my computer but apparently deleted Internet Explorer. Is there a way to re-install it?

I uninstalled VISTA and installed XP on my HP Pavilion tx 1000 [ 4 Answers ]

Now I have no sound... does anybody know how to fix this... Thanks in advance

Removed hardware uninstalled in device manager [ 1 Answers ]

hiu. Installed network card not working (no driver says PC).removed and replaced by other card : same result... after changing 5 different cards (allworking in another PC), = yellow exclamation point on all of them, and all of them still appearing in device manager!! Upon right click and...

Things that have been uninstalled [ 1 Answers ]

Once I uninstall something is it OK to delete those entries from msconfig start section and also under the start/programs if there still there?

View more questions Search