Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 12, 2009, 10:57 PM
    Why Are the Frames for Eyeglasses So Expensive?
    Hi!

That's just what I'd like to know. The frames for glasses can be in the hundreds of dollars or even more!

Why is it that they're so expensive? It seems to me that there is some price gouging going on!

Thanks!
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Jun 12, 2009, 10:59 PM

Haha, you are just trying to get under my skin, aren't you?

It's because the prices FOR Optometrists or reatilers are going up, so the buyer must raise THEIR prices to make a profit. Most places that I've worked frames are priced 2.5 or 3 times their cost.
    Uber Member

Jun 12, 2009, 11:01 PM

I knew that question would get your attention, Momma! Yes, I'm trying to get under your skin!

What are the lowest prices for frames that you seen?

If anyone on this site has the answers to my questions about this, it will be you!

Thanks!
    Vision Expert

Jun 12, 2009, 11:08 PM

Walmart has $10 frames.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2009, 11:09 PM

I've seen frames for as low as $59 and they were decently fashionable.

I also think another reason we're seeing a price increase is the fact that more and more fashion designers are putting their stamp on eyewear as well so now there's "brand name" frames.
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2009, 11:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma View Post
    Walmart has $10 frames.
    Wow that's really cheap!

The ones I purchased for $59 were from Target and this price included the specialty lenses as well (A/R coating, featherlite lenses). So the total out-the-door price was $59. Plus I had them made into sunglasses (polarized lenses) at no add'l cost!
    Vision Expert

Jun 12, 2009, 11:13 PM

We're talking about just frames. The price will always go up when adding lenses, even more so for polycarbonate (featherlite) lenses, and also for anti-reflective coating.

Again though walmart has $20 lenses, which are plastic with an AR coating.
    Uber Member

Jun 12, 2009, 11:14 PM

Thanks for the references where the prices might be substantially lower!

I think that the frames for my glasses were about $400.00. I still can't fathom why they can be so expensive!

Is it like the price of gasoline where the public will tolerate such high prices because it's a needed commodity?

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Jun 12, 2009, 11:15 PM
    My contacts, it would seem, that I can't even get a decent price at Wal-Mart for them. They're hard lenses and it's my understanding that there's only one company that makes the ones that I use.
    Uber Member

Jun 12, 2009, 11:16 PM
    We're talking about just frames. The price will always go up when adding lenses, even more so for polycarbonate (featherlite) lenses, and also for anti-reflective coating.

Again though walmart has $20 lenses, which are plastic with an AR coating.
    What would you say would be the average usable life of plastic lenses, Momma?

Thanks!
    Vision Expert

Jun 12, 2009, 11:16 PM
    What brand are your glasses? What brand are your contacts? Is there a Costco near you?

Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    What would you say would be the average usable life of plastic lenses, Momma?

Thanks!
    I'd say about six months, for the average person. About 9-12 months for someone that is super careful. They're bottom of the line. Not the best optics, not impact resistant, and not too scratch resistant.
    Uber Member

Jun 12, 2009, 11:19 PM
    Oh, gosh! I can't remember the brand of my eyeglass frames or of my contacts!

I don't think that we have a Costco around where I live. Not absolutely sure about that, though.

I live in a community of, I think, over 400,00 people, that is joined by the Mississippi river.

Thanks!

I'd say about six months, for the average person. About 9-12 months for someone that is super careful. They're bottom of the line. Not the best optics, not impact resistant, and not too scratch resistant.
    Optically, is plastic as good as glass for the lenses?

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2009, 11:20 PM

The ones I mentioned, the price was $59 for the frames, and they were doing a promotion where the lenses were added at no charge. So yes, the frames alone were that price.

Glasses are also considered an accessory these days so that may have something to do with the prices as well because people like wearing glasses. So anytime demand for something goes up... price tends to follow.

I personally own about 5 or 6 pairs of glasses and wear different ones depending on my mood/outfit. I also like to switch up my look by wearing contacts sometimes too.
    Uber Member

Jun 12, 2009, 11:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nikosmom View Post
    The ones I mentioned, the price was $59 for the frames, and they were doing a promotion where the lenses were added at no charge. So yes, the frames alone were that price.

Glasses are also considered an accessory these days so that may have something to do with the prices as well because people like wearing glasses. So anytime demand for something goes up... price tends to follow.

I personally own about 5 or 6 pairs of glasses and wear different ones depending on my mood/outfit. I also like to switch up my look by wearing contacts sometimes too.
    Where were those $59.00 frames being sold, nikosmom?

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2009, 11:23 PM
    My contacts, it would seem, that I can't even get a decent price at Wal-Mart for them. They're hard lenses and it's my understanding that there's only one company that makes the ones that I use.
    Sometimes if you buy your glasses and contacts at the same time, the store may offer a discount. I took advantage of this plus the manufacturer offered a rebate for purchasing a certain number of boxes of contacts!

Where were those $59.00 frames being sold, nikosmom?

Thanks!
    This was at Target. But as CM mentioned, at that price they're not top of the line. I bought them as sunglasses so they're good to keep in the car or for being outside doing yardwork.
    Vision Expert

Jun 12, 2009, 11:29 PM
    Oh, gosh! I can't remember the brand of my eyeglass frames or of my contacts!

I don't think that we have a Costco around where I live. Not absolutely sure about that, though.

I live in a community of, I think, over 400,00 people, that is joined by the Mississippi river.

Thanks!

Optically, is plastic as good as glass for the lenses?

Thanks!
    The brand of your glasses should be written right on the frame. How do you purchase contacts if you don't know the name of them? Have you done any bargain shopping? Costco is the lowest price I can get mine. But RGP (hard lenses) are more expensive.

And as far as the lenses, I don't recommend glass at all. For one they are not impact resist, the optics are horrible, and they are HEAVY. Polycarbonate or Trivex lenses are going to be your best bet.
    Uber Member

Jun 12, 2009, 11:36 PM

Actually, I do think that my eye glass lenses are some kind of plastic, like you mentioned.

I don't know where they're at right now, because when I do wear them, the prescription is old enough that I still can't see very well, and one of the nose pads is missing.

I've tried bargain shopping for contacts around here, but the price seems to always be about the same.

My astigmatism is really bad! So, I need to have the hard kind of contacts.

I've been going to the same optometrist for about twenty-five years. He knows the kind of contacts and brand that I need.

Thanks!
    Vision Expert

Jun 12, 2009, 11:38 PM

Going to a private Optometrist WILL charge you more than a retailer. I think we've actually discussed this before. You should have a precription with the brand of lenses on it, or the box of lenses.

On the other hand, I can't give you anymore info on why your glasses are so expensive unless I know more about them. And I don't really know what sort of lenses you have without looking at them myself.
    Vision Expert

Aug 19, 2009, 11:34 PM

Please use proper grammar and English. I can't understand what you are trying to say.
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2009, 11:39 PM
    Hi!

Excuse me, please. But, I also don't understand specifically what you're stating, altheamarie08. Thank you for taking the time to respond on my thread, though.

If you would like to clarify what you're trying to say, it would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My aunt needs eyeglasses! [ 8 Answers ]

My aunt can't afford to get new eyeglasses and she can't afford her contact lenses anymore and she really needs glasses she works in the restaurant business and she can't see she's not completely blind or anything but everything is blurry for her like a white shield over her eyes but when she puts...

Free eyeglasses [ 1 Answers ]

I am in need of new prescription eyeglasses. I am currently unemployed and uninsured, where in NE Illinois do I go for these needs? I get a very small amount of unemplyment income!

Free Eyeglasses [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my name is rex dunagan and I have no money right now or manly no income need a free eye exam and free eyes glass. I have not had a eye exam in 10 yrs and I need one bad. I have no money to pay for eye exam and or eye glasses I would like to get the so if you will please help me thank you ...

I need to know about how to get free eyeglasses [ 1 Answers ]

I want to know how I can obtain free eyewear or assistance in doing so

How can I get funding for eyeglasses? [ 2 Answers ]

I need free eyeglasses

View more questions Search