Ask
    albre2252 Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2009, 05:37 PM
    Diet sodas
    What makes diet sodas bad for you?
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2009, 05:51 PM

Drinking a reasonable amount of diet soda a day, such as a can or two, isn't likely to hurt you. The artificial sweeteners and other chemicals used in diet soda are safe for most people, and there's no evidence that these ingredients cause cancer. Some types of diet soda are even fortified with vitamins and minerals. But diet soda isn't a health drink or a cure for weight loss. Although switching from regular soda to diet soda will save you calories, some studies suggest that drinking soda of any type leads to obesity and other health problems. And healthier choices abound. Start your day with a small glass of 100-percent fruit juice. Drink skim milk with meals. Sip water throughout the day. For variety, try sparkling water or enjoy a squirt of lemon or cranberry juice in your water. Save diet soda for an occasional treat.
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2009, 05:57 PM

It is best to drink as much water as possible. Your suppose to drink 8 glasses or more and water cleans you out.

Besides the stuff listed above carbonated water (soda) isn't good for you and it makes your stomach swells.

Get a bottle of soda and shake it up. Then open it and quickly place a balloon on top of it. Watch how the balloon gets big as if your blowing into it. This is what it does to your stomach.
    ironclad04 Posts: 193, Reputation: 8

Jun 12, 2009, 06:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jenniepepsi View Post
    Drinking a reasonable amount of diet soda a day, such as a can or two, isn't likely to hurt you. The artificial sweeteners and other chemicals used in diet soda are safe for most people, and there's no evidence that these ingredients cause cancer. Some types of diet soda are even fortified with vitamins and minerals. But diet soda isn't a health drink or a cure for weight loss. Although switching from regular soda to diet soda will save you calories, some studies suggest that drinking soda of any type leads to obesity and other health problems. And healthier choices abound. Start your day with a small glass of 100-percent fruit juice. Drink skim milk with meals. Sip water throughout the day. For variety, try sparkling water or enjoy a squirt of lemon or cranberry juice in your water. Save diet soda for an occasional treat.
    I like what you metioned here, along with smoothies in the morning!! Cranberrys, strawberrys, and kiwi, natural stuff to make your own drinks! Water in between, I think I can get used to that?? But I don't know about the juice, 100 percent juice is likely to contain 100 percent sugar, which is not good for your body either??
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2009, 06:25 PM

Granted there are better things to drink than a sugary juice, but its much preferred to a soda, diet or regular. And it has a lot of vitamins in it which is good. The complex carbohydrates (in this case sugar) found in vegetables, grains, and fruits are good for you; the simple sugars found in sodas, candies, icings, and packaged treats can do harm, at least when eaten in excess

Jun 12, 2009, 06:28 PM
    Granted there are better things to drink than a sugary juice, but its much prefered to a soda, diet or regular. and it has alot of vitamins in it which is good. The complex carbohydrates (in this case sugar) found in vegetables, grains, and fruits are good for you; the simple sugars found in sodas, candies, icings, and packaged treats can do harm, at least when eaten in excess
    I know! I was just saying?? I would preferr juice over soda to, though I like ocean spray juice a lot!! But what you methioned here is a healthy choice, I'm starting to kick my habbit of soda too
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2009, 06:44 PM

Oooh I see :P sorry I misunderstood :P good job kicking the soda habit. I used to drink dr pepper ALL day every day! Then I went to diet pepsi all day every day. Now I have no soda at all. Its done wonders for my stomach, heartburn, headachs, and weight

Jun 12, 2009, 06:52 PM
    oooh i see :P sorry i misunderstood :P good job kicking the soda habit. i used to drink dr pepper ALL day every day! then i went to diet pepsi all day every day. now i have no soda at all. its done wonders for my stomach, heartburn, headachs, and weight
    I don't know about you guys, but I have no trouble with the weight, and heartburn and things like that, I have trouble with the headaches, and fatigue!! That's why I'm on a misson now, for my child's sake as well!
    april k Posts: 29, Reputation: 3

Jun 13, 2009, 09:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by albre2252 View Post
    What makes diet sodas bad for you?
    Part of the reason diet soda can be 'bad' for you is it can keep you craving more sweets. If you can drink one can a day and not consume other sweet stuff, then it's probably OK. If you are consuming or craving lots of carbs and sweets, then, cutting out the artificially sweet stuff could be helpful.

April K
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2009, 03:46 PM

Diet stuff is really bad for you
    Here are sites on aspartame and its side effects
    It is like one molecule away from formaldahyde.
    It can cause everything from temporary blindness to Parkinsons.

Aspartame Poison - If you don't believe it YOU have to read this article

Aspartame | aspartame poisoning

Dangers of Aspartame Poisoning!

Also diet soda actually causes you to retain weight.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20050...in-more-weight

Jun 14, 2009, 06:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    Diet stuff is really bad for you
    Here are sites on aspartame and its side effects
    It is like one molecule away from formaldahyde.
    It can cause everything from temporary blindness to Parkinsons.

Aspartame Poison - If you don't believe it YOU have to read this article

Aspartame | aspartame poisoning

Dangers of Aspartame Poisoning!

Also diet soda actually causes you to retain weight.

Drink More Diet Soda, Gain More Weight?
    And everyone in my family that drinks diet soda thought I was nuts when I told them!! It almost seems there's nothing in this world that isn't good for you now days! That's why I'm not a diet person! But I would like to kick the sugar too?? What do we drink besides water?
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2009, 06:20 PM

I drink natural fruit juices. Giant Eagle sells them in the natural food aisles by the produce. Some of the brands are
    After the Fall, R W Knudsen, Looza, Odwalla, Old Orchard,
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2009, 06:24 PM

Also soda whether diet or not causes hypokalaemia
    I drank regular Pepsi for at least 35 years and I am sure I have it.

I think that the caffeine didn't effect me but the sodium phosphate, the phosphoric acid and the carbon effected me. I am sure if I had been drinking diet soda I would be in much worse shape.

Jun 14, 2009, 06:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    Also soda whether diet or not causes hypokalaemia
    I drank regular Pepsi for at least 35 years and I am sure I have it.

I think that the caffeine didn't effect me but the sodium phosphate, the phosphoric acid and the carbon effected me. I am sure if I had been drinking diet soda I would be in much worse shape.
    I hear you on that one!! Pepsi, coca cola, melo yellow!! 20 yr tap on these, I'm going to die of something other than a heart attack! I have to check that out for the juices, maybe I can make my own?? Natural fruit! What do you guys think?
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2009, 06:32 PM

I drink a drink called "Naked and Bolthouse". I love the Chai Tea and the Banana with Chocolate ones. Also, the Mango Madness is good.
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2009, 06:37 PM

Have to spread the rep
    I was trying to think of Naked but couldn't remember the name.

I tasted bolthouse once yuck!

Chai tea is suppose to be really good

Another one I forgot is POM

Jun 14, 2009, 06:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by liz28 View Post
    I drink a drink called "Naked and Bolthouse". I love the Chai Tea and the Banana with Chocolate ones. Also, the Mango Madness is good.
    Hay! I have to jott that one down! Sounds good too, I was also thinking of natural teas of some kind?? Like Arizona tea, green tea
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2009, 06:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ironclad04 View Post
    I hear you on that one!!! pepsi, coca cola, melo yellow!!! 20 yr tap on these, im gonna die of something other than a heart attack!! I have to check that out for the juices, maybe i can make my own??? natural fruit! what do you guys think?
    Invest in a good juicer and make all the healthy drinks you want. I make a lot of drinks.

I have a 6 months old and I make most of his food. I hate to buy that store stuff.
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2009, 06:41 PM

You have to watch with the teas and many things that are suppose to be natural.
    READ the ingredients.

Like some Sobe's and Fuze are okay but most say Fruclose or surclose which most often is aspartame.

Many of the green teas---the same thing
    Like Snapple and Lipton contain either too much sugar or surclose.

It is best to brew your own.
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2009, 06:42 PM
    I blend one banana, R. W. Knudsen coconut nectar, some berries and Dole Pineapple juice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can Diet Coke/Diet Pepsi ruined your diet? [ 17 Answers ]

Hello, Iam Writing To You Because Iam One Of Those People That Have Been Trying To Lose Some Pounds.. I Have Been Cutting Off The Sweets, Fatting And Anything Else That Gains Weight.. I Also Have Been Doing Exercise.. my Only Question Is If Diet Coke Gains Weight Even Though If Its Diet?. My...

I'm On A Diet [ 4 Answers ]

Hey everyone, I'm new to this so please bare with me. I've been on a diet since the end of January, and I've lost about 8 kilos already (that's about 17 and a half pounds). Sorry I'm Australian :D So anyway I use to weigh 75kg but now I am 67kg and my height is about 168cm. I am turning 21 in...

Probability of selecting sodas from cooler [ 1 Answers ]

A cooler at a picnic contains 100 cans of soda covered by ice. There are 48 cans of cola, 23 cans of orange soda, 18 cans of ginger ale, and 11 cans of root beer. The cans are all the same size and shape. If one can is selected at random from the cooler, determine the probability that the soda...

No more diet! [ 20 Answers ]

I am a 15 year old girl who is only 5'3 and weigh 130! I Don't need a diet! What the hell was wrong with me obsessing over my weight. My body still needs to grow and I'm hurting myself this way. I'm still going to work out, and watch what I eat but I am no longer dieting. :) And I...

Dog on diet? [ 1 Answers ]

My 6 month old black lab puppy is vomiting what looks to be bile and has lost her appetite for the past day and a half. She did eat a treat that was given to her but doesn't have interest in her food. Her energy level is still normal. She has all of her shots and is current with them. The only...

View more questions Search