Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jessicaoakridge Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2009, 03:18 PM
    No telnet commands work after success telnet connection
    Please help!!
    After telnet to an VxWorks system, the command line shows the name of the server correctly, but no telnet command works, like "ls, dir, delete, rm..........", the error message is always "undefined symbol". This telnet worked early this afternoon, I forgot what I did to mess up the whole thing. I did not touch any hardware, and I did not edit the VxWorks system files, the only thing I did was telnet and ftp to it.

Please help me!!
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Jun 16, 2009, 06:25 AM

What program are you using for telnet? Is it one that has the capability of key translations like use Return for Line Feed, etc? What terminal type are you using? VT100? Is it Auto detect?

Did you properly logout of your previous telnet sessions. Some telnet servers do not allow more than one connection and your previous connection may still be open.

Jun 16, 2009, 07:20 AM

Chuckhole, thank you for looking at this case. You are right, this server only allow one connection. I have restarted both computer several times, still the same. I am using the "telnet" command of the windows XP under "cmd" shell. I don't know about the "key translations", and what is the "VT100"? I did not set anything. Thanks!
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Jun 16, 2009, 07:59 AM

Instead of the windows XP client, try using Putty (PuTTY: a free telnet/ssh client)

It almost always works better, and it's a free tool.

Jun 17, 2009, 12:53 PM

retsoksirhc, thanks for the suggestion. I tried to use Putty with all kind of settings, including VT100, VT400 and Linux.. always the same result.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2009, 01:01 PM

You can try GMUD as well. Its easier to work with

Jun 17, 2009, 01:16 PM
    The problem is not which telnet client to use, it is the server does not recognize any command after telnet connection is up. The server's name is "Apollo", after I use "telnet" cmd or "Putty" to make the connection, the "Apollo" shows up in the window, but whatever command I type in, even ? Or help, it always shows "undefined symbol". The only exception is numbers. When I type in numbers, for example 1, it shows "value=1=0x1".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Commands [ 1 Answers ]

Hi pals I came across some commands like ping,telnet,ftp etc I got 2 know these commands are used to connect the systems remotely but do we have to be online to use these commands or they can be used offline also and can you tell me an example to connect two systems Thankq

Telnet client for Symbian/Opera [ 1 Answers ]

Please I need help, looking for a telnet client for cellphone OS. Anybody knows something?

Telnet client. [ 3 Answers ]

Can anybody please help? I'm running AOL9 with windows xp, I've started getting a box on start up c:\windows\system32\mcc.exe With a message in the box Welcome to Microsoft Telnet client Escape character is 'ctrl+]' Microsoft Telnet> I also get a box on the taskbar where I can right click...

FTP Commands [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know the proper syntax to make an FTP connectiion with the user name and password all in the same ftp command line. ftp www.domain.com 'username' 'password'??

View more questions Search