Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    06smith Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2009, 12:13 PM
    Lower Current Use, 240 VAC Appliances
    I am doing an appliance repair course and they made a point in the material that appliances that use 240 volts, lower the overall amount of current they draw from the service lines. I do not get the concept why this would be so, will you explain How?
    06smith
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2009, 01:12 PM

There may be better ways of explaining this, but this is how I think about this situation.

A 1 HP motor uses about 750 watts, and since electrical power is measured in WATTS and mechanical power is measured in horse-POWER you could say that 1 HP is the same as 750 watts.

If you use Ohm's Law, you know that Watts = Volts x Amps, so with algebra, Amps = Watts / Volts.

Thus, if you run a 1 HP motor at 120 volts, it would draw 750/120 or 6.25 amps.
    However, if you run the 1 HP motor at 240 volts, it would draw 750/240 or 3.125 amps.

So if you double the voltage, you halve the amperage for a given load. This also works for resistive loads such as heating elements.

I hope this helps,
    WallyH

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Difference between current assets and current liabilites [ 4 Answers ]

This homework problem is killing me. I've been at it for days and it's due at midnight tonight... 2 1/2 hours. I need to find the difference between the current assets and current liabilities. Then, I need to find the total assets and net income or loss. GRRRR> Please help! Here's the info...

Lower left abdomen and lower backpain [ 3 Answers ]

My lower left abdomen really hurts with my lower backpain and its just happen right after my husband and I have sex,but before that I frequently feel numb un my left arm and leg. :confused: someone help me...

Current transformer - short time withstand current [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, For ring-type (window-type) CT, do we need to size the CT short time withstand current at the same or above the system short time withstand current (short circuit level)? Any reference/technical explanation? Thanks!

Current asset and current liabilities in cash flow [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I need to know, how can current assets and current liabilities balances can be used in preparation of a cash flow statement. Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Can Current Tenant Get Current Special Move-In Rates? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Guys: My mother is living in apartments in Kissimme, Florida since September 2008 and the complex now has an offer for a 2/2 for $625.00 for a year's lease. My mother's payment is at least $100.00 above. Does she have any legal stand to try and get the lower price? She has asked me and I...

View more questions Search